1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Anyone got this new Surge BS?

Discussion in 'Notifications' started by arto71, Nov 10, 2017.

1. hulksmash

hulksmash Well-Known Member

What I meant was that there are drivers that will be happy just to know what a ride will pay. Anyone knows that 1.5 is more than regular fare, that's why base fares get ignored. There are those that see "comfort" in knowing a $5 " surge bonus" is being added to the ride, without realizing it's for a longer ride that would've paid more under the regular surge system. As long as ants are happy with whatever $ is presented, without any other context, we are screwed.

Also, there are ants who think they have to accept every ride, even if it's outside the surge. They will feel as if they're finally being rewarded for driving into the surge area, because the same ride outside the zone will finally have some surge tacked onto it. Again they will not realize the little bonus they receive will be much less than what they would get by simply waiting for a surge ride under the old system.

2. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Of course, Uber could help the long trip issue by also using Boost. $25 fixed surge with 2.0 Boost, and you would get the greater amount.

I can think of a LOT of big events here in Miami where they will have to do that or they simply won't have drivers.

3. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't know about that. Currently different drivers are given different boost and quest offers so I expect that trend will continue with this new "surge". Just my two cents.

I assume that is correct. But who knows??!!

4. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Quests are certainly different, but the Boosts I've seen have been the same for everybody.

5. goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    Someone posted about different Boosts on the LA forum so it's possible but we have no way of knowing how common it is.

6. aspiringnobody

aspiringnobody Active Member

If this change works out boost will go away too. Boost will be a flat bonus in a certain area.

I'm personally waiting for them to start paying us flat rates per trip. All new drivers will be on the new system. Current drivers get a choice, but they will find a way to deactivate those who stay on the old system like they did to all the 80%ers

7. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Interesting surge info on the Charlotte board. Surge reached $38-$39 at their stadium after the football game, but one driver also got a 4.2x (?). That same driver who posted the 4.2x also said he had three $37 surge rides, and all 3 were one-mile rides!

Dontmakemepullauonyou likes this.
  8. goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    True story???? If so you know the Uber programmers will be jumping right on that glitch!!

9. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

short rides are going to be incentivized while long rides will be punished under this system.

grams777 likes this.
  10. NCUberGuy

NCUberGuy Active Member

I took screen shots 1) Fixed Surge Amount 2) Passenger Quote during same surge (note, times match) and 3) Quote later during non-surge

I am adding for ride 2 and ride 3. Screenshot_20171113-171057.png Screenshot_20171113-171150.png Screenshot_20171113-184401.png Screenshot_20171113-184442 (1).png Screenshot_20171113-201455 (1).png Screenshot_20171114-215921.png

11. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

thanks. What does "Next Trip $0.00" mean on the heat map?

12. goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    Non-surge I think.

13. The Gift of Fish

The Gift of Fish Well-Known Member

It means time to find another income source.

Surge's days were numbered as soon as they de-linked Uber's income from drivers' incomes. Before: the more the driver makes, the more Uber makes. Now: the more the driver makes, the less Uber makes.

This new surge model is only another "how low will you go" probe to see what the minimum is that drivers will work for during peak times, much like the annual non-surge pay cuts and other tests before it.

My hope is that drivers will now reject long distance rides in favor of shorties. If there is enough pushback from drivers and non-fulfillment of long distance ride requests then this latest cash grab by Uber from drivers will fail.

14. NCUberGuy

NCUberGuy Active Member

I was not in the surge zone when I took the screen shot. I was at my house 10 miles away.

I expect no response, but I sent this to 'uber support'

Please explain how 'fixed surge amount' being tested in Charlotte is a benefit to drivers? My extremely low acceptance rate from Monday was due to my attempt at figuring out the new game Uber is playing on the (non)valued partners. My determination is this is simply a way for Uber to keep even more of a fare for themselves. I viewed several surge areas (with fixed amount), then immediately went to the passenger site to see the uber quote. In EVERY case, Uber kept a significantly higher percentage of the ride for themselves. Examples:

Ride 1: Brixx Pizza on Fairview to Bank of America Stadium - Fixed Surge = $6.75 + 12.39 regular fare = $19.14 - Surge passenger quote = $22.18 difference of $3.04. Uber kept an extra 15%

Ride 2: Southpark Mall to Bank of America Stadium - Fixed Surge = $19.00 + $11.65 regular fare = $30.65 - Surge passenger quote =$34.53 difference of $3.88. Uber kept an extra 12%

Ride 3: Ballantyne Hotel to Bank of America Stadium (worst one) - Fixed Surge = $29.00 + $19.79 regular fare =$48.79 - Surge passenger quote =$64.20 difference of $15.41. Uber keeps an extra 31% on this one.

And, by the way, when you give a 'fixed surge' of $15-$20 or more, and the rider goes one mile, here is news: Uber loses money (perhaps this is offset on examples such as ride #3 above.

I expect no response, but hey, by your actions, I'm proud you think of me as a valued partner.

cratter likes this.
  15. YourPrivateDriver

YourPrivateDriver Well-Known Member

the problem with that is uber gets all the booking fee so they want drivers to take short trips. if uber adds $1 or $2 to the short trips, but still charge the rider $10 uber will get $6 or $7 while driver gets $3 or $4

16. JayAre

JayAre Member

#MajorKey word DJ Khaled! Day by day, Uber and Lyft will no longer be my option to supplement my income

Dj Khaled likes this.
  17. at-007smartLP

at-007smartLP New Member

geez no wonder 96% fail you ARE "INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR"

when an evil company who cares zero about you and has a history of fraud / lying sends you a blank contract that you accept, you have every right to call or text the stranger requesting a ride to get the details of the contract only morons fufill blank contracts

uber even purposfully redisigned their maps to give drivers less info when you get a request to hide more info actually making them dangerous..

if it turns out the contract requires use of your vehicle & free labor, CANCEL the contract or get the pax to CANCEL the contract & let some ignorant, iliterate, poor, bad at math driver accept it & become part of the 96% who fail BY DESIGN. anything less than 100% of $7 is theft of services uber is aidding & abbeting pax to steal from you & spitting in your face

90% of my rides are $44-74 an hour and i am in the 4 %

nothing uber sends you or implements is for drivers everything they do is to trick, manipulate, & coerce free labor from you, 80%+ of their trips are loss leaders/coerced labor/ literally slavery so keep complaining or actually do something about it

surge has always been to trick new dumb drivers to the worst areas at the worst times with the worst pax during the worst traffic a few catct, the rest of the dummies right where uber wants you to be, smart drivers stop chasing surges & screening 2+ years ago

no one is gonna feel sorry for an adult that actually accepts trips under 10 miles on x or hasnt opted out of illegal pool, or dumb enough to actually drive for less than $1.50 a mile a 12 year old in the 80s wouldnt accept most of ubers fares if you do i suggest a long look in the mirror, you are your own worst enemy

you are not smart enough to beat math and physics any ride under 10 miles unde $1.50 a mile will NEVER cover your costs 96% churn/failure rate proves this. stop accepting them go thru trip history & unmatch yourself from every ride under $10 uber respects data not humans, humans are ubers enemy, uber drivers enemy are uber & riders goung less than 10 miles, understand its war and youl figure out how to be victorious

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 5:07 AM
    TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  18. RaleighNick

RaleighNick Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    But... It doesn't really HAVE to be this way does it?

19. at-007smartLP

at-007smartLP New Member

100% of $7 minimum fare
    $1.50 a mile, .25 a minute
    nation wide minimums

show pick up address
    show how many miles and which direction destination is
    BEFORE driver accepts trips

99% of their problems go away
    100% acceptance rates
    0% cancel rates

plenty of desperate cockroaches will accept short rides & everybody wins

until then its a ponzi scam/game 20% acceptance 20% cancel and every time they steal from me 1-2 out of 10 trips i make sure hundreds get 1 star experiences & negative promotion of their brand

easy peazy

no it doesnt at all see above post but since uber is calculated evil play the game or get played by it

i didnt sign up for charity i dont risk my life & give strangers free rides, i dont get mad i get even and im sure im not the only one

Uber don't care by its actions so just follow the leader ill make 50+K a year playing their game until it crumbles or gets bailed out, when in rome my friend...realize you are working for an organized crime racket no different than john gotti or al Capone the government is currently letting them operate so theres money to be made from it if you treat it like it is, a scab gypsie cab service that offers predatory pricing

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 5:53 AM
  20. goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    lol

Still cranky even with your new alias??!!