Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
I did not know that was permitted by Uber or Lyft.
I'm pretty sure it's not, but who cares? The only way they will ever know is if you pull it on somebody, and if you are ever in a situation where you need to then getting deactivated by Uber/Lyft is the least of your concerns. If you ever pull it on somebody when you're not in a situation where you need to, then you deserve to get deactivated and, again, that is the least of your concerns.

When I was a kid delivering newspapers, There was this one dog that hid off to the side and kept quit until I got just within reach inside the perimeter of his leash. Then he suddenly bolted out barking and snarling at me. I was able to back up out of his range just in time. The crafty bastard was laying-in-wait for me. That's about the closest I've ever come to having a heart attack. And I was only 8.
LOL You should see the movie World According to Garp. Dog laid in wait and bit half Robin Williams ear off then later Williams caught the dog and bit...!

I got bit in the butt by a Chow Chow months ago. The owner pissed me off because the dog was outside the front door on a chain. But he was snarling and jumpy up, as I walked up the driveway. Now I normally love all dogs, and have never been afraid, but this dog was like Cujo,

I called the owner asking if he'd outside because I didn't want to walk past the dog. The owner did, but he said his dog doesn't bite and just looks fierce.

I handed the owner his food, and after I turned around and started walking back to my car, the dog jumped up and bit me. The owner saw it happen and didn't apologize or anything.

Now when I see any dog known for aggressive behaviors (Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Chows), I refuse to walk past them.

I don't know if pepper spray would work, but carrying an umbrella may.
Hope you called an attorney. If it was me, I'd sue him, big time!

I am scared of dogs, gotten bit before but not delivering. I have a dog and I do realize 99% are amazing humans. It's that 1% that scare me now, specifically when I carry food! I had a big dog run across the yard at me last week, but it just wanted the food and not me. The girl could not keep him under control at all. I told her next time to keep the dog in the house and under control... she didn't tip.

It just seems that no one can come to the door without their 100# pit bull or their 150# bull mastiffs. Are these precious little snowflakes so scared of the evil, scary food delivery guy, they can't even imagine opening the door without the guard dog? Probably should think twice about there stupid behavior. I conceal carry and am not intimidated by much. I hate even thinking about a situation where I might have to protect myself from an animal because of an idiot owner.
I deliver in midwest & i totally agree with your experience & honestly I have had close calls

Anyone who goes into a gig like this unprepared should rethink this gig. No, not everyone is out to get you,but there is that very small element of society that is just down right stupid and more than willing to try something.

I definitely have a pleasant demeanor and attitude for every delivery, but I am also prepared in case something goes sideways. As you drive up, LOOK at your surroundings. Lots of bushes for animals to hide, a small tool shed near the fence that something can hide behind? Make a mental note. As you walk up to the house, is it completely dark? Does it look unlived in(yeah, unlived in, I said it!!!)? I mention that one because I delivered to a house that definitely was not inhabited, BUT the new owner was there doing renovations. He said two other drivers bolted when they got out of the car and heard the electric saw go off. He was thankful to just get something to eat for him and his friends.

Is the neighborhood "friendly"? Are their kids playing in yards? All these things can tell you a lot about the neighborhood before you ever even stop your car. Maybe it's just me and my past experience(I did 21 years in the Army, and that taught me to keep my head on a swivel. I guess you can't unlearn somethings). Just be aware of what's going on around you and you can prevent or defuse so many things that look like they may go bad.

Every one of you, stay safe.

I delivered to a house that definitely was not inhabited, BUT the new owner was there doing renovations. He said two other drivers bolted when they got out of the car and heard the electric saw go off. He was thankful to just get something to eat for him and his friends.
That's funny! I wonder why the drivers didn't just call the guy, asking him to come outside.

Good ideas you suggested. I always observe my surroundings, even more at night. Sadly, not everyone uses situational awareness or pays attention to their gut instincts.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.