Anyone experiencing dog intimidation from the customers?

Teksaz

It just seems that no one can come to the door without their 100# pit bull or their 150# bull mastiffs. Are these precious little snowflakes so scared of the evil, scary food delivery guy, they can't even imagine opening the door without the guard dog? Probably should think twice about there stupid behavior. I conceal carry and am not intimidated by much. I hate even thinking about a situation where I might have to protect myself from an animal because of an idiot owner.

Teksaz

Strictly food delivery.
Delivered to an address last week when the guy was so F-ed up let 2 German Shepherds get out and they surrounded me. I told him he better call his dogs NOW or things aren't gonna go well. He did so and apologized. This is really becoming an issue I'm afraid, especially when it's a female trying to control her Rottweiler.

Nats121

When I delivered pizzas and other food, petting the customers' dogs (friendly ones) probably got me better tips. Dog owners usually look favorably upon people who like dogs.

If aggressive dogs are a problem in your area, call the customer as you're arriving.

Another suggestion is to lean on the storm door to prevent an angry dog from getting out. I've noticed many storm doors are not closed properly, and by leaning on the door, I've prevented angry dogs from getting out.

Also, make sure you close the gate (if there is one) to keep dogs from getting out of the yard.

A fenced-in yard means there's a good likelihood that dogs live there.

ZenUber

When I was a kid delivering newspapers, There was this one dog that hid off to the side and kept quit until I got just within reach inside the perimeter of his leash. Then he suddenly bolted out barking and snarling at me. I was able to back up out of his range just in time. The crafty bastard was laying-in-wait for me. That’s about the closest I’ve ever come to having a heart attack. And I was only 8.

amazinghl

I've probably done thousands of deliveries now and there was only ONE house I've been to when the owner told the dog to stop barking, the dog stopped! It was like magic and I complimented the female owner.

I bet most are lazy owner who doesn't know to train the dogs.

Tank_Driver

Had a dog once who immediately jumped out of the front door when the lady opened it. He was friendly but ran right into me and knocked over the pizza I was carrying right onto the ground... then tried to eat it. This lady had no control over him as he ran around the side of the house after that.

Then she has the audacity to ask if I’m going to go back to the pizza place and order a new pizza and bring it back. NOPE. Contact GH support for a refund. NEXT!

Invisible

I got bit in the butt by a Chow Chow months ago. The owner pissed me off because the dog was outside the front door on a chain. But he was snarling and jumpy up, as I walked up the driveway. Now I normally love all dogs, and have never been afraid, but this dog was like Cujo,

I called the owner asking if he’d outside because I didn’t want to walk past the dog. The owner did, but he said his dog doesn’t bite and just looks fierce.

I handed the owner his food, and after I turned around and started walking back to my car, the dog jumped up and bit me. The owner saw it happen and didn’t apologize or anything.

Now when I see any dog known for aggressive behaviors (Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Chows), I refuse to walk past them.

I don’t know if pepper spray would work, but carrying an umbrella may.

Alexxx_Uber

I got bit in the butt by a Chow Chow months ago. The owner pissed me off because the dog was outside the front door on a chain. But he was snarling and jumpy up. Now I normally love all dogs, and have never been afraid, but this dog was like Cujo,

I called the owner asking if he’d outside because I didn’t want to walk past the dog. The owner did, but he said his dog doesn’t bite and just looks fierce.

I handed the owner his food, and after I turned around and started walking back to my car, the dog jumped up and bit me. The owner saw it happen and didn’t apologize or anything.

Now when I see any dog known for aggressive behaviors (Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Chows), I refuse to walk past them.

I don’t know if pepper spray would work, but carrying an umbrella may.
I don’t do eats, but I carry pepper spray. If I see dogs attacking me I will pepper sprays their face, hopefully they back off.

Invisible

I don’t do eats, but I carry pepper spray. If I see dogs attacking me I will pepper sprays their face, hopefully they back off.

Check out the video of the postal worker in Detroit who was attacked by a Pit Bulll. A neighbor was hitting the dog with a broom, but it continued to bite the postal guy until someone else came to help.

If the dog lunges at you, or in my case, gets you from behind, pepper spray won’t help. Maybe you’d be better off with a pencil to poke the eyes.

Alexxx_Uber

Check out the video of the postal worker in Detroit who was attacked by a Pit Bulll. A neighbor was hitting the dog with a broom, but it continued to bite the postal guy until someone else came to help.

If the dog lunges at you, or in my case, gets you from behind, pepper spray won’t help. Maybe you’d be better off with a pencil to poke the eyes.
Thanks for the hint.
Surely I will use the sharpest thing I find to protect myself. Maybe an electric shocker could help too. Although I’m not sure if it’s legal

amazinghl

Thanks for the warning, I'd now refuse delivery. They can come get the food from my car or I'd enjoy a free meal.

Launchpad McQuack

When I was a kid delivering newspapers, There was this one dog that hid off to the side and kept quit until I got just within reach inside the perimeter of his leash. Then he suddenly bolted out barking and snarling at me. I was able to back up out of his range just in time. The crafty bastard was laying-in-wait for me. That’s about the closest I’ve ever come to having a heart attack. And I was only 8.

I had a similar incident about 10 years ago. I was walking down the sidewalk, and a dog came tearing off the front porch of a house, barking and growling and charging straight at me. I was completely out in the open. No tree to get up. No car to get on. Nothing. I just kind of froze in panic because I didn't know what to do. The dog skidded to a stop about a foot away from me and continued barking and growling, ears pinned straight back. I finally realized that it was wearing a shock collar, and they had one of those invisible fences around the perimeter of their yard. The dog knew exactly how far it could go before it activated the shock collar. I was an adult at the time, but it was the most scared that I have been in quite some time. Looking back on it afterwards, I was not particularly pleased with my reaction.