1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Anyone else having problems with crazy GPS drift?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by FL_Dex, Jan 10, 2017.

1. FL_Dex

FL_Dex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    On January 5th, during a ride, my GPS started going wonky. It would drift over to roads I wasn't on and start recalculating routes. I'd be going down the highway and suddenly the GPS would show me flying over the zoo. It happened to me and another Uber driver who lives in our housing development. According to pas it's happening to a lot of drivers here.

Turns out there's a known bug in Samsung and certain other phone models (Nexus 5 for sure) where one set of satellites is 8 seconds off on their timing. You can read about it here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/5lm6l8/5x_keeps_getting_gps_location_wrong/

The fix is updating to Android 7.1.1. Since then my GPS has been working properly. You might have to sign up for the Android beta, upgrade, then go back and remove yourself from the beta testing.

Warning: You'll have to rebuild your apps and data from scratch. It's like a whole new OS.

2. DrivingZiggy

DrivingZiggy Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You're not alone.

3. Albert Einstoned

Albert Einstoned New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have a LG-G5 and mine bounces all over the place.

4. Retired Senior

Retired Senior Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My UBER GPS is always off when I first get a rider to pick up or press Navigate when I start a trip. It seems to assume that I am still at the last drop off point and needs a minute or so to recalculate. The Garmin GPS that the original owner installed in the car knows immediately upon activation where I am.

5. RussellP

RussellP Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I recommend the Garmin GLO GPS. It's $99 and pairs with your phone over Bluetooth to override your phone's built in GPS. It tracks GPS and Russian GLONASS satellites and updates 10 times per second.

6. GalinMcMahon

GalinMcMahon Active Member

I've been looking for this for years!!

7. Retired Senior

Retired Senior Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This afternoon I had to pick up a University of Bridgeport student who lives close to Seaside Park. For the first 10 minutes of our drive the UBER GPS went crazy, spazzing out that I should take a left onto a street that I knew was a good 2 miles away. It continued in this vein until we were on I-95 in Fairfield. She said that the UBER GPS always goes whacky in her neighborhood.

That goes against common sense, since I think that a satellite has a better sight line if you are close to a fairly large body of water. Of course, I really have no expertise in these things...