Anyone else getting trolled by belligerent paxs

Tony73

About two weeks ago my rating dropped about 0.05 with 2 1-star ratings and 1 2-star rating. I put in about 70 rides a week, my 5 star ratings are stuck at 481 since last month. The few occasions I knew pax was giving 1 star for sure, it popped right after the ride. Is your rating count frozen or favoring low ratings over high ratings? Uber claims they can't fix your rating, but it looks like they're the ones deciding your rating for you.

TGK

Uber claims they can't fix your rating,
Uber AI may be teaching you something...The AI knows and considers riders driver rating preferences before your ride selection is given. Your lower rating may just be an attempt to teach you something and correct Driver Behavior. Some Benefits and Bonuses depend on your rating.

Tony73

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nah when I get those generic reports stating 5 star partners do this and that it’s complete bs. There’s no such thing as a 5 star driver. 4.95 sure, not 5. They don’t ask drivers anything, that’s what they expect you to do. But sense we are not employees the can’t directly tell us what to do. Every time the app goes into micro manage mode I switch to Lyft.

Clarity

Nah when I get those generic reports stating 5 star partners do this and that it’s complete bs. There’s no such thing as a 5 star driver. 4.95 sure, not 5. They don’t ask drivers anything, that’s what they expect you to do. But sense we are not employees the can’t directly tell us what to do. Every time the app goes into micro manage mode I switch to Lyft.
There are at least couple on this site who have a perfect 5 star rating. One of them recently got a 1 star. However, I get what you mean - most drivers don’t have a perfect 5.

I don’t blame you on switching to Lyft from time to time. I feel a lot more at ease with Lyft rides. I am at the point where I just won’t look at my ratings detail page on Uber for the sake of peace of mind.

Someone can probably explain better about why it seems the ratings seem frozen and why it seems Uber favors low ratings. It’s too much thinking for me to explain and I had a long day.

If you have 481 5 star ratings you’re doing pretty well.

FlyingFortress

Author
Frozen: 1 five star in - 1 five star out...the problem is when the rating goes down because a four star comes in and a 5 star out.
The driver ratings scheme is a well thought out UBER mindflock device, among others. I don’t know how any of you really know for sure how their AI contributes to this as punishment. I can’t see any suspicious patterns. But I do see the randomness of a roulette wheel. It’s tempting to transfer the thought of AI there as well, but it’s pure randomness. I do acknowledge that the algo puts you on a time out when you offend her but I really don’t want to attach too much higher-thinking-animal outcomes to anything that they do. To me they’re more reactive and instinctual than strategic.

I sense that — and this is all guesswork on my part — that they can alter your workflow as a reaction to your performance, possibly by throwing your account into a huge bucket, bulk-programed and built for thousands of bad boys and girls who left food on their plates AND didn’t clean their rooms. There are probably many fewer flavors of punishment that they have in their arsenal than our speculation would imply. If you were writing the driver punishment codes how many different ones could you possibly write? In Manhattan alone there are 80k drivers tooling around in some the most dense and dangerous driver landscapes in the country. Gotta be A LOT of punishments to dole out there for maybe a thousand different offenses. Uber doesn’t care about fitting the punishment to the crime, they’ll just dole out some random punishments to get our attention. So YOU fill in the blanks... you know what you did. You’re a baaaaad booooy.

Tony73

My biggest problem with Uber/app is that it tends to drive me towards dangerous zones in which I get trapped. I could be all the way by suffern, and it will send me to a place like Irvington in one or two rides, then I’m trapped in those areas for like 3 hours and due to rider hostility my rating gets knocked down. The only countermeasure I’ve found so far is to immediately switch to Lyft in those areas, as most riders behave better on Lyft and I don’t care much about my Lyft rating.

Last edited:

mellorock

The driver ratings scheme is a well thought out UBER mindflock device, among others. I don’t know how any of you really know for sure how their AI contributes to this as punishment. I can’t see any suspicious patterns. But I do see the randomness of a roulette wheel. It’s tempting to transfer the thought of AI there as well, but it’s pure randomness. I do acknowledge that the algo puts you on a time out when you offend her but I really don’t want to attach too much higher-thinking-animal outcomes to anything that they do. To me they’re more reactive and instinctual than strategic.

I sense that — and this is all guesswork on my part — that they can alter your workflow as a reaction to your performance, possibly by throwing your account into a huge bucket, bulk-programed and built for thousands of bad boys and girls who left food on their plates AND didn’t clean their rooms. There are probably many fewer flavors of punishment that they have in their arsenal than our speculation would imply. If you were writing the driver punishment codes how many different ones could you possibly write? In Manhattan alone there are 80k drivers tooling around in some the most dense and dangerous driver landscapes in the country. Gotta be A LOT of punishments to dole out there for maybe a thousand different offenses. Uber doesn’t care about fitting the punishment to the crime, they’ll just dole out some random punishments to get our attention. So YOU fill in the blanks... you know what you did. You’re a baaaaad booooy.
I try not to look at ratings ,badges but am now at 2500 five stars . I do not play the .Uber pro game .What is getting me is getting a request to airport 16 minutes or 20 minutes away and no surge and long pick up fee being less than a dollar. Or being offered consecutive trips and they are fake. No longer do I get worked up about the less than 4.60 riders I still do not accept . Yeah Uber plays a lot of games . Today tommorow and yesterday. Both Lyft and Uber are interchangeable ✌🙂🙂

Tony73

What’s up with the incentives!? Get $100 for 90 rides. From Monday through Thursday, it’s not 2016 anymore. Imagine 100 local rides for a $100. That doesn’t even cover the basic brake service! Goldman Sachs and Travis sold all their shares, you know what that means... The only way they’re able to keep their stocks near the IPO is through hyping and misleading. The other day a ride to JFK showed as 45 min south to me. Everyone knows NY is northeast/southeast from anywhere you could be in NJ.
Post automatically merged:

The flying Uber should also prove interesting, Hyundai and Uber entered a partnership to build a drone-like flying Uber. Basically a flying KIA. Seeing how autonomous cars turned out I’ll wait at least another 20 years until the technology is actually perfected and safe.

Last edited:

ToughTommy

Pass the tissue box. Lot of whining and crying. I ask people more than ever where you going before they get in. If I don’t want to go I say sorry I’m staying don’t worry plenty of drivers around cancel won’t cost. I don’t care about cancel rate

Tony73

Pass the tissue box. Lot of whining and crying. I ask people more than ever where you going before they get in. If I don’t want to go I say sorry I’m staying don’t worry plenty of drivers around cancel won’t cost. I don’t care about cancel rate
The only problem with that is, deeply buried in the guidelines there’s a topic called “destination discrimination” which states if you cancel a ride solely due to not wanting to go there, you’re subject to deactivation.

SuzeCB

The only problem with that is, deeply buried in the guidelines there’s a topic called “destination discrimination” which states if you cancel a ride solely due to not wanting to go there, you’re subject to deactivation.
It's not just in the guidelines. It's the law. If a pax was to complain to the state instead of U/L, you wouldn't get a flag on your account and a warning... U/L would be fined and deactivation would happen faster than a claim of DUI.

Tony73

It's not just in the guidelines. It's the law. If a pax was to complain to the state instead of U/L, you wouldn't get a flag on your account and a warning... U/L would be fined and deactivation would happen faster than a claim of DUI.
Not entirely sure that’s the case in NJ but I won’t be the one to test it out. I know NY is a lot more rigid about it. But at the end of the day telling someone you won’t take them home because their neighborhood sucks is just plainly wrong.

FlyingFortress

Author
Experienced drivers know how to avoid trips to destinations that are not driver friendly without exposing themselves to state or company retribution.

Flawlessbox

The other day a ride to JFK showed as 45 min south to me. Everyone knows NY is northeast/southeast from anywhere you could be in NJ.
Been there done that. You may think it must had been your mind messing up but it’s the Uber who is @@@@ing with you.

If you start to decline base on directions, soon every requests will be Southwest. Decline because of duration of the trip because it’s 68 minutes? They will manipulate that too as 48 minutes. I don’t know what your AR is at but if you decline base on time and directions they soon will send you pings that is impossible to accept or ghost pings that notification said I had missed a trip. And you will be at 85%-86%. CR is the only playroom you have but somehow that never goes down from 3% and I rarely cancel.

Tony73

Been there done that. You may think it must had been your mind messing up but it’s the Uber who is @@@@ing with you.

If you start to decline base on directions, soon every requests will be Southwest. Decline because of duration of the trip because it’s 68 minutes? They will manipulate that too as 48 minutes. I don’t know what your AR is at but if you decline base on time and directions they soon will send you pings that is impossible to accept or ghost pings that notification said I had missed a trip. And you will be at 85%-86%. CR is the only playroom you have but somehow that never goes down from 3% and I rarely cancel.
Exact same here!

Tony73

Not if you have 8000 trips.
It only takes 2 or 3 bad actors to undo weeks of hard work. It's part of the mind games, rating drops and you find yourself doing your best again. I particularly, only offer water if I have to open the trunk for luggage. I do all the lifting myself not because I want to please anyone but because I don't want them to scratch my bumper.