• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Anyone else getting shady tickets out here?

Giant Ed

Hi- I have been hearing of stories of Police officers targeting Uber and Lyft drivers from both drivers and passengers. I was doing a run during a last call surge on Saturday March 23 in Santa Cruz. The cruiser flew up on my ass with the lights off. Considering the neighborhood and time I figured either there was going to be a shooting or I was going to get rear ended by a drunk. As I approached the intersection I CAME TO A COMPLETE STOP. Despite their being no headlights or street lights the car had an outline of a SUV squad. I wasn't sure so it was quick stop..... but a complete one. The officer first didn't give me a reason for pulling me over other than "do you know why I pulled you over". I was like...... sh'yeaaaaaah..... it's last call. Clearly there are drunk people on the road. He proceeded to run back to the car and write the world's fastest ticket. When he returned (two cops were present.... one was waiting by the passenger door) he asked "so how many beers did you say you had" and I was all like- none, that conversation didn't happen. Then he immediately hands me a ticket for running a stop sign...... wtf!?!?! I had a pax relate a similar story he experienced from the backseat of an uber. Anyone else experience this? Please report. Total fake intent during our best paying time period. I mean, I get it- realize that we are giving drunks a ride and @@@@ the fake door prize of a slightly less expensive ticket. Ugggggg

seymour

Hi- I have been hearing of stories of Police officers targeting Uber and Lyft drivers from both drivers and passengers. I was doing a run during a last call surge on Saturday March 23 in Santa Cruz. The cruiser flew up on my ass with the lights off. Considering the neighborhood and time I figured either there was going to be a shooting or I was going to get rear ended by a drunk. As I approached the intersection I CAME TO A COMPLETE STOP. Despite their being no headlights or street lights the car had an outline of a SUV squad. I wasn't sure so it was quick stop..... but a complete one. The officer first didn't give me a reason for pulling me over other than "do you know why I pulled you over". I was like...... sh'yeaaaaaah..... it's last call. Clearly there are drunk people on the road. He proceeded to run back to the car and write the world's fastest ticket. When he returned (two cops were present.... one was waiting by the passenger door) he asked "so how many beers did you say you had" and I was all like- none, that conversation didn't happen. Then he immediately hands me a ticket for running a stop sign...... wtf!?!?! I had a pax relate a similar story he experienced from the backseat of an uber. Anyone else experience this? Please report. Total fake intent during our best paying time period. I mean, I get it- realize that we are giving drunks a ride and @@@@ the fake door prize of a slightly less expensive ticket. Ugggggg
they can't target you if you don't have trade dress on. I've had cops witness me doing an illegal U-Turn but gave no chase as I am sure they'd rather nab a driver with a U/L sticker.

Giant Ed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup- quick 1 and done during the end of the month. They know some people depend on this job (this is just a side hustle for me) and will plea for traffic school.
Post automatically merged:

Lesson learned..... 99.9% of cops are cool as hell when they pull you over and in so many words state that they are trying to weed out drunks. I'm guessing towards the end of the month I need to act a little more incognito to be less of a target. I can't hate on them either. If you fall below 15% of your colleagues ticket average by the end of the month you face a pay advancement freeze. I get it, we've all got to keep a roof over our head.

Last edited:

RideshareSpectrum

Santa Cruz police notoriously have little to do and they need to make up for all the lost DUI revenue somehow. Besides all that according to my wife who is from SC, a two count is necessary for a stop to be considered a ‘full’ stop.
If you had invested in that dashcam it would be paying for itself right now instead of you paying for that violation.

Giant Ed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for the input Rideshare! Yeah, it was actually the CHP to my surprise. While I know they have jurisdiction over any road- the fact that they were staffing the highway is highly questionable at such a serious time as last call (fatality rates increase exponentially with speed driven). As far as the full stop rule, that is subjectively based on the officers judgement. I couldn't find any traffic code that pointed to a 2 second rule (might be what they learned in the academy). No kidding I should have invested in a cam. I was wanting to get one to cover myself for bogus rider claims. I figured it could wait until pay got better with the Summer season. Wasn't expecting to need one for bogus tickets. Funny how I get pulled over by two white guys and the ticket uses a badge number of a latino officer that hasn't worked for the department for years. Unfreagin believable.

xRacerX

Thank you for the input Rideshare! Yeah, it was actually the CHP to my surprise. While I know they have jurisdiction over any road- the fact that they were staffing the highway is highly questionable at such a serious time as last call (fatality rates increase exponentially with speed driven). As far as the full stop rule, that is subjectively based on the officers judgement. I couldn't find any traffic code that pointed to a 2 second rule (might be what they learned in the academy). No kidding I should have invested in a cam. I was wanting to get one to cover myself for bogus rider claims. I figured it could wait until pay got better with the Summer season. Wasn't expecting to need one for bogus tickets. Funny how I get pulled over by two white guys and the ticket uses a badge number of a latino officer that hasn't worked for the department for years. Unfreagin believable.
Well then you should take officer martinez to traffic court and see if white half brother shows up instead. If you know what officer martinez looks like from the web or other source, make sure you print the pic for your records. They sidehustled the F out of you on that one, sorry about that!