Anyone driving for fasten?

Tony Neo

How do you deal with the annoying loud ping sound? I assume there is no way to turn it down or off? I watched a little youtube video, if you don't pickup request it goes to unassigned request section. I don't see that any where. Does that feature still exist? I just see same rider ping it over and over again, no boost what's so ever.

Chewy

I don't know about the ping volume. Regarding the unassigned requests, this happens during high volume times (when the clubs let out). Fasten goes apesh*t at this time and when there's not enough drivers to satisfy the demand you'll see what you're asking about. IF there's a break between pings at this point, the map will show a bubble that says "Unassigned Requests". You can tap it and see something similar to the FARE scheduled requests lists that you can pick and choose from.

I don't fire up Fasten unless things go dry on FARE for 10 or 20 minutes....and ONLY if I'm not in the proximity of downtown ($2.50 rides suck).

Ziggy

How do you deal with the annoying loud ping sound? I assume there is no way to turn it down or off? I watched a little youtube video, if you don't pickup request it goes to unassigned request section. I don't see that any where. Does that feature still exist? I just see same rider ping it over and over again, no boost what's so ever.
  • Ping volume - you can't adjust it. I talked with the Fasten CEO about this ping volume bug last month; however, the CEO considers the "max volume ping" to be a feature so that drivers don't miss any pings; according to him, he doesn't plan on removing this setting. The only work around is to put a plug in your Aux port, but that shuts off the volume altogether ... so it's basically blaring loud or silent ... definitely a bug in my book.
  • Unassigned ... I've only seen this at bar closing or 4th of July
  • Same rider pings - boost doesn't happen automatically, pax have to select it. I don't p/u non-boost trips unless I'm in the sticks

vnphantom

That's just plan stupid refusing to adjust the volume. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. What if someone has their earphone on at a reasonable volume listening to their music or on a call and PING PING PING Fasten app pings at MAX volume and destroyed their hearing?

I can't wait for the day someone who has readily access to a lawyer sue the crap out of Fasten and this so-called feature. Even when you adjust the volume to max on android phone it gives you a warning. So farking stupid.

BobbyATX

That's just plan stupid refusing to adjust the volume. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. What if someone has their earphone on at a reasonable volume listening to their music or on a call and PING PING PING Fasten app pings at MAX volume and destroyed their hearing?

I can't wait for the day someone who has readily access to a lawyer sue the crap out of Fasten and this so-called feature. Even when you adjust the volume to max on android phone it gives you a warning. So farking stupid.
Readily access to a lawyer? Bottom line is all of these apps suck and my income is down to a third of what it was when U/L were here. And I'm not just talking about the summer blues here. Even last summer was wayyyyyy better.

vnphantom

Yes I meant access to a private lawyer to start a lawsuit. Not everyone has readily access to a lawyer.

Anyway, I found a way to block Fasten from adjusting volume but it might be quite involved. I have an Android phone and I found a way to enable App Ops, it is basically a more advanced option for Application Permission. In there you can find the Fasten app, then go in and disable it's access to Media Volume. Profit!

See screenshots.
Screenshot_20160723-151026.png Screenshot_20160723-151042.png Screenshot_20160723-151049.png

Tony Neo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes I meant access to a private lawyer to start a lawsuit. Not everyone has readily access to a lawyer.

Anyway, I found a way to block Fasten from adjusting volume but it might be quite involved. I have an Android phone and I found a way to enable App Ops, it is basically a more advanced option for Application Permission. In there you can find the Fasten app, then go in and disable it's access to Media Volume. Profit!

See screenshots.
View attachment 50337 View attachment 50338 View attachment 50339
You need the phone rooted to get that right?

Ziggy

See screenshots.
View attachment 50337 View attachment 50338 View attachment 50339
Does your process silence it altogether or can I still adjust the volume so I can hear it?

Ziggy

You can still adjust your volume.
My android doesn't have the same settings .... there is only a global media volume. And when I make adjustments to the Fasten app, I get a warning that Fasten was made for an older version of Android OS than I have. But thanks for your effort ... the max volume thing on Fasten is annoying to say the least

Ziggy

Honest question. Why are y'all willing to drive for fastens rates? I haven't considered them.
Boost ... I only p/u boost pax, unless I'm in the boonies and I need to cover some of my deadhead miles. For instance, I took a couple on Fare SUV to Dripping Springs, but there were no trips in the area on either Fare or GetMe ... so I turned on Fasten and got a trip to Zilker... and while I not thrilled at the non-boost Fasten rate, it was better than deadheading back to ATX.

Tony Neo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honest question. Why are y'all willing to drive for fastens rates? I haven't considered them.
Was going to keep it as a backup and trying out the boost until I realized the obnoxious loud ping sound and it takes full control of my volume without my permission. I don't want to wake up my family nor do I want to grab police's attention. That's enough reason for me not driving for fasten at all. I think that's worse than Uber.

Jay Dean

For the times I drive it is just the same as driving for Lyft money wise and ALL of my pax so far have rocked. Other then the no min fare I do not see what the complaint would be, I just look at it as the .15 cents a mile makes up for the no tip. That is ONLY because of the hours I drive and usually at a distance, but .the money should be about the same unless your picking up downtown and that is where either for sure a min fare needs to be put in place or a tip option added. Fasten really needs to geo fence a min fare for downtown fare pickups or something to that regard. Because last I checked nobody "needs" to be downtown for a beer lol and nothing annoys a driver more than only making 2 dollars for driving someone from west 6th to east 6th in heavy traffic.

Last edited:

Klimber

My biggest complaint is that I get paired up with riders sometimes 6 to 8 miles away.

I would have to say that Fasten at least keeps me busy. I could sit around with Fare and GM only running and peck at my screen all night or I could be working. Would rather be working. Plus they have a SUV class.

Got an suv ride from DT to Wells Branch suv rate, $41 after CC fees and buck per ride. With U it would have been $30. I am not complaining.

tcc83

I personally would rather not stay busy for no tip, no min fare rides. Before uber set the min fare for drivers at 3.20, I was getting rides that paid me 78 cents and the like. In fact, I won't drive at all for no-tip companies. I am personable, keep a clean suv, take pax through the drive thru, help load bags, etc. Pax should at least have the option of tipping me if they want.

Chewy

Not exactly Beyoncé/Jay-Z income, but I've average about 8.50/ride net when I run Fasten. As I mentioned before, I run/prefer FARE much more and will only fire up Fasten - and accept rides - if things are dead or if I'm out of the urban core. Anecdote time: This past weekend I (1) ran a dancer from the Landing Strip up to Wells Branch, (2) got an immediate ping from a bar across the highway for a short trip to Dessau...but with a $26 tip (for being "accommodating" (5th amendment in play)), then (3) got another immediate Dessau ping for a ride up to HUTTO. Sad end to the story....I deadheaded all the way back home to south Austin with FARE and Fasten both running. But it was well after 3am, so not shocking.

Even with the lower Fasten rates, there is an easily attainable miles/time threshold you reach to where the rides are profitable even after the ride and CC fees are extracted. You just have to selective, yet fair.