Anyone been tested?

Jaackil

Considering it.

No appointment or referral needed here:
Why? What good would it do other than prove you do or don’t have the virus at the exact moment of the test. In theory you could get tested and as you are walking out someone with the virus could cough in your face and give you the virus. Your test could still come back negative meanwhile you are really positive and infecting everyone you come in contact with because you think you don’t have the virus. Testing negative does not mean you are immune from getting the virus. You are better off spending your time wearing a mask keeping social distance and washing your hands that will do more to keep you health and from spreading the virus than all the testing in the world.

Golfermack

Why? What good would it do other than prove you do or don’t have the virus at the exact moment of the test. In theory you could get tested and as you are walking out someone with the virus could cough in your face and give you the virus. Your test could still come back negative meanwhile you are really positive and infecting everyone you come in contact with because you think you don’t have the virus. Testing negative does not mean you are immune from getting the virus. You are better off spending your time wearing a mask keeping social distance and washing your hands that will do more to keep you health and from spreading the virus than all the testing in the world.
Depends on which test you’re talking about. If it’s to determine whether you have antibodies or not that test could be useful to determine if you’ve had the virus or not. Then your Plasma would be helpful in treating patients with the virus. And perhaps give you some protection from being infected again.

If you’re not feeling well, and take the test to determine if you have the COVID-19 virus, the results could determine how you should be treated for your ill health.

Jaackil

Depends on which test you’re talking about. If it’s to determine whether you have antibodies or not that test could be useful to determine if you’ve had the virus or not. Then your Plasma would be helpful in treating patients with the virus. And perhaps give you some protection from being infected again.

If you’re not feeling well, and take the test to determine if you have the COVID-19 virus, the results could determine how you should be treated for your ill health.
I was responding to the OP in regards to the free testing at tufts. If you are not feeling well you should get tested but if you are healthy to what end?
As for the antibody testing. You could be right but they don’t really know what having the anti bodies mean. It is unclear at this point if you get infected whether you can get infected again. It’s also unclear whether plasma with antibodies has any effect in this virus. If it did they would be asking for everyone to be tested voluntarily and donate plasma. That would be the easiest and quickest path to a solution right now right? The need for anti body testing right now is two fold tracking and research
So while you may be right it is still unclear whether either test does anything other than to tell you if you are positive or negative at that point in time.
I am not saying don’t get tested I was saying why? What good is it going to do?

Golfermack

I was responding to the OP in regards to the free testing at tufts. If you are not feeling well you should get tested but if you are healthy to what end?
As for the antibody testing. You could be right but they don’t really know what having the anti bodies mean. It is unclear at this point if you get infected whether you can get infected again. It’s also unclear whether plasma with antibodies has any effect in this virus. If it did they would be asking for everyone to be tested voluntarily and donate plasma. That would be the easiest and quickest path to a solution right now right? The need for anti body testing right now is two fold tracking and research
So while you may be right it is still unclear whether either test does anything other than to tell you if you are positive or negative at that point in time.
I am not saying don’t get tested I was saying why? What good is it going to do?
I was responding to you and the topic of this thread "Anyone been tested?".

I've heard recent news reports that claim if you have the anti bodies, you have immunity from getting sick from it again, and from passing the virus on to someone else. No claim on how long the immunity will last. I've also heard that the plasma, from someone who has the anti bodies, can assist in curing someone who is infected with the virus, if caught in it's early stages of infection.

Be safe and well everyone.

BostonTaxiDriver

It seems it's only for Tufts patients, essential city personnel, health care workers and Chinatown residents.

CVS has more locations now doing testing, but one must arrive in a car. I think at CVS, one doesn't need to have symptom or close contact with those who do? Same with some Rite Aids?

Walmart testing is coming soon.

Listings on the South Shore I've seen listed in the Patriot Ledger seem to require a referral or symptoms?

Even the Codman Square Health Center, which I thought as of last week accepted even those without symptoms or referrals, now seems to require symptoms?

All a bit confusing to me.