1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Anyone been in an accident?

Discussion in 'San Francisco' started by VCelia, Jul 21, 2016.

1. VCelia

VCelia New Member

Has anyone her been in an accident before? Just got into a minor fender bender last night and my insurance is saying I don't have "ride for hire" on my policy. Which they never offered. They say that uber has their own insurance that will cover it. Is this true? Has anyone gone through uber for this reason before?

Anything will help.

Thanks

2. Silent_Philosodriver

Silent_Philosodriver Well-Known Member

Depends... if you were WITH A PASSENGER IN CAR, then yes, UBER's insurance would cover it but...

(I don't know why in the world you told your insurance you were doing Uber, specially when you dont have complete insurance coverage for ride for hire, expect your rates to go UP even if they dont pay a cent at all)

My advice:

1) If its really minor (less than $1,500 damage for both cars) and no one got hurt, then take care of it yourself, if you report to UBER they 'might' deactivate you or note an accident and kick you out the next one for sure.
    2) If you were empty, (not with passenger, not going to get a passenger) then yes, your insurance should cover you then but who knows now, because what you told them.
    3) If this will get complicated (other car wants payment, passenger injured, etc...) its time to get a lawyer

So, evaluate the situation carefully, you are already on the losing side of the equation - Either assess if you can pay, or if indeed you had a passenger at the time of the fender-bender, report to UBER's insurance.

Next time, if you are empty, and have a accident, remove all your lyft/Uber signs, and don't tell your insurance you were doing this if you don't have full coverage for ride for hire.

Maybe someone has successfully gone through the UBER insurance process, but I can't recall anyone.

nash801 and yucklyftline like this.
  3. manuella

manuella Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes been recently into a minor one so crazy thing is and correct me if I'm wrong anybody but uber' insurance will deny coverage even with riders inside since your personal insurance has no "ride share" they had me send them my own insurance that states I have rideshare ?! I sent in a declaration or something also they ask that you inform your personal insurance of the accident

long story short , you will have to pay for it yourself in a better situation you wouldn't have informed them but you did the right thing , better to inform them than get caught later.

I think I would call them and immediately cancel the policy since they will do it for you anyway / sign up with a new rideshare insurance company like Mercury or farmers

Transportador and yucklyftline like this.
  4. VCelia

VCelia New Member

I had a passenger and the guy who hit me knew I drove for Uber so didnt want to lie and it come back on me. But sounds like since I had a pax uber should cover me. They take forever to get back to people.

yucklyftline likes this.
  5. manuella

Driving:
    UberX
    Keep us updated ! It's technically not uber you will be dealing with but like a fake company uber created so you won't have to talk to them about your accident money .

James River , let me know how it goes they seemed to make it sound like they won't cover me if I didn't have rideshare insurance they will have you download and app then send pictures , don't get anything wrong otherwise you will be emailing them for weeks !

6. shukris

shukris Member

Uber (James River's) insurance covers you from the point you accept a ride till you swipe end trip. You don't have to have a passenger in the car. DO NOT FILE with your personal insurance if you had the accident after accepting a trip. JR deliberately takes long to respond in the hopes that you will file with your personal insurance. Definitely follow up on a daily basis with both James River and CCing your uber partners email. If the damage is under $1,000 and you were at fault, just pay it and move along because James River has a $1,000 deductible anyway. However, if you were not at fault that $1,000 is supposed to be recovered from the other party. If you do file with JR, don't forget to follow up repeatedly until someone gets back to you .

7. cho

cho Active Member

Is there an "Evidence of Insurance", naming James River as the insurance company, that a driver can carry in our car? Any links would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. InvisibleUberMan

InvisibleUberMan Active Member

You can print a copy of the certificate of insurance for any state at the following link.
    "https://newsroom.uber.com/certificates-of-insurance-u-s-ridesharing/"

If the link does not work for any reason, please do a Google search for "Uber certificate of insurance" and the first result is the website where you can print the certificate of insurance.

Transportador and yucklyftline like this.
  9. cho

cho Active Member

Thank you very much InvisibleUberMan.

10. InvisibleUberMan

Sorry about your accident. I second other posters reply. Last month I had an accident (hit a deer on the freeway with a rider in the car). Even though Uber insurance covers you in such an instance, their insurance is a joke as far as the driver is concerned. It only covers the damage to your car with a 1000 dollar deductible and nothing else. There is no coverage for rental car, no loss of earnings, etc. And as others mentioned, they are slow! It took me 6 weeks get my car fixed. Good luck.

11. InvisibleUberMan

You are very welcome.

12. KishWithTheQ

KishWithTheQ New Member

I had an accident almost 2 months ago. I Was struck in the rear by a cab driver while sitting completely still. I did have a passenger in the car so Ubers insurance contacted me almost immediately, and so did Uber. If you plan to use Uber's insurance there is a 1,000 deductible and you have to provide them the declaration page of your personal policy or they will not honor your claim. I am not sure if the deductible is the same everywhere but I am in Washington, DC and that was my experience. I am thankful the other driver was at fault because it seems like it would have been a hassle going through their insurance.

Best of luck to you.

yucklyftline likes this.
  13. soupergloo

soupergloo Well-Known Member

I have and it sounds like you've gotten good advice on here .. BIG mistake telling your insurance company - you'll find out why soon enough.

Transportador likes this.
  14. manuella

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah you always have access to your insurance car on the uber app "waybill"

15. manuella

Driving:
    UberX
    if it's a minor accident yes and the other guy is okay with you paying otherwise always tell the insurance, last thing you want is the other guy telling

They keep a database which is shared among all of them, if they at all find out you tried to keep something like that from them , it's over you will be put into their extortion category.

You have to think quick and decide if you want tell or keep it to yourself , if they are cameras or if someone took a picture of your license plate things like that

in this case he didn't have much of a choice since the other guy in the accident had his plate number

16. soupergloo

soupergloo Well-Known Member

you're put in an extortion category regardless .. the major accident I got into during a Lyft ride wasn't even my fault and my insurance company dropped me. Then I couldn't find anyone to insure me until a couple of companies decided to add an Uber premium and insure TNC drivers. Now I pay $100 more per month simply because I'm an Uber driver, which makes NO sense - they don't even cover you during rides, and from what I've heard, Uber's insurance is a joke during rides.

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have reported the accident to Progressive and would have rather taken my chances getting caught.

Doesn't matter now, but insurance companies are a scam.

17. SFAgentKyle

SFAgentKyle Active Member Past Sponsor

In California there are options for coverage that can extend during all 3 periods of driving. You can avoid dealing with Uber/Lyft/James River all together. It can also extend to a temporary car while yours is being repaired.

I know a guy... ;)

State Farm - Rideshare Insurance
    877-*Phone number removed - Discontinued sponsorship*

18. RedoBeach

RedoBeach Well-Known Member

Don't ever tell your insurance company you do Rideshare if it is not a Rideshare policy!!

Uber's contract says that you must file claim with your carrier first and then theirs is secondary at a whopping $2500 deductible.

I highly recommend Metromile for Rideshare insurance in the Bay. I was hesitant to sign up with pay per mile insurance but I have been saving about 50% off my non- Rideshare good driver insurance rate with Progressive. Even during months where I have road tripped back to SoCal, my per mile insurance has still been less than I paid for regular policy. Also, their customer service is great.

Just make sure your Uber account is connected so you don't pay for the Uber miles.. They currently aren't partnered with Lyft.

19. RedoBeach

RedoBeach Well-Known Member

Have you looked into Metromile? I have been very happy with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2016
  20. observer

observer Moderator Moderator

Since OP is in CA and you are in CA, I have a question for you. Didn't CA pass a law requiring drivers to notify their insurance company that they do TNC?