Anybody uber older cars

Cesarek

I currently uber my 06 BMW on uber X since I need 2007 and up for select I also have an 01 Nissan Sentra I'm unsure about using it since its older and people pax might look down to it and rate me low I feel like ubering the Nissan since I'm putting a lot of miles on my bmw and parts can be expensive

SomeDrivingGuy

Be warned that no one will care for your car. Be prepared for underdoor scraps, scratched seats (tossing luggage), and possible puke.

I would suggest Nissan during the week and select on weekends. Simply because no one wants a fancy ride to/work but will do it to go to a bar or something.

I don't drive select so I would not know how often rides would come, but considering some select drivers are doing pool and x... I'm not sure.

pizza guy

I drive a 02 Grand Marquis with 100k that looks great. MPG sucks but I don't have to worry about depreciation or payments, and repairs are dirt cheap. Riders really prefer a larger vehicle.
If someone is going to rate you lower based on car age chances are they would rate you lower no matter what.
Also remember, don't pay to much attention to your rating. As hard as that may be you rating really means very little.

JHawk

Couple of things in play here.....

With regard to the perceived ratings issue of driving a Sentra vs. a BMW.....if that's an honest concern...a hard look in the mirror might be in order first. If you finish up a nice dinner at a Gold Coast or River North restaurant with your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/partner, request an UberX, and a Sentra pulls up....will YOU rate that person lower (assuming the car and driver are clean, doesn't smell, etc) simply because that's most likely only car they have available to drive? If not, then there's your answer. If you would....well....remember not everyone views the world the way you do.....and you're probably an entitled, elitist prick who's in denial with self-awareness issues.

As far as the BMW vs. the Nissan for other reasons....you hit the nail on the head when you said the BMW parts can be expensive. On top of that...I"m sure the BMW still has some decent residual value left, whereas the Nissan is most likely fully depreciated. Driving the BMW for X rates is doing nothing more than taking out a reverse mortgage on your car....you're stripping away the value in exchange for some up front short term cash.

terrifiedanimal

I drive a 2014 C class Mercedes. Only 1 out of maybe 20 riders ever comments about the car. They don't give a shit, they just want a clean car and a smooth ride. I'll switch to a Prius if I decide to do this beyond the next couple of weeks.

As far as Uber select goes, I've had only 6 select rides out of the last 200 since I started on the platform. I'm also on Lyft Select, but I've yet to see a single Select ride on that platform.

Go with the cheapest, most economical car you can get away with. I'm not going to drive my Mercedes into the ground, but I'm glad I started in the car I did, because it's fairly small, it's easy to drive, and with a tiny, 1.8 liter engine, the mileage has been pretty good.

RJA

I was going to sign up my Corvette (see avatar), but that darned 4 passenger requirement....

Uguy22

I currently uber my 06 BMW on uber X since I need 2007 and up for select I also have an 01 Nissan Sentra I'm unsure about using it since its older and people pax might look down to it and rate me low I feel like ubering the Nissan since I'm putting a lot of miles on my bmw and parts can be expensive
Reading have not much to do with how nice your car is: I drive a Jeep 2004 (clean, 60,000 miles only) and my rating average 8.1 to 8.3. I must say when I was riding with Uber or a taxi for that matter, I would only pay attention to a clean car and a friendly driver. I never cared about the type of car was pulling in...

elelegido

My car choices have shadowed the downward trend in rates/pay. I started with a new Camry hybrid, then downgraded that to a Prius C, then downgraded that to an '07 Corolla. No drop in ratings so far.

I'm seeing way fewer new cars with temporary plates on Uber, and more 10-15 year old crapmobiles. It's just a consequence of Uber's transition from a quasi-premium service into a bargain basement, bare bones economy bus service.

HOOSIERGAL

I use a 2010 Honda Hybrid (40 mpg city/47-53 Hwy). I'd like to have a larger car, but it's nice that it makes it very uncomfortable for UberPool pax. For the majority of trips, since Uber pax prefer to sit in the back, the front seat stays all the way forward for more legroom for right rear passengers. On a long driving day, though, about $6-7 for gas