Anybody running propane or CNG?

tohunt4me

I'm very interested in this also.
There is a C.N.G. filling station directly across from the airport I work.I have seen C.N.G . limos.

Govt auctions often have the low mileage C.N.G. Honda Civics for sale.
I would prefer dual fuel capability myself.

The Australians have a few guys running propane or C.N.G I believe.

tohunt4me

They have high pressure low hydrate Wells near my house where a free fill up may be possible,up to 1,700 psi.

observer

The propane engines are a little less powerful than gasoline. This may have changed with new technology. I seem to remember about a 10% drop.

Sparkplugs, the engine and the oil last much longer since propane burns cleaner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all!

I was looking at the Ford Transit Connect Van. The small one with seating of 7.

I am in L.A. Are there a lot of filling stations?

And if anybody has info on Cost to fill tank and mileage?

Last edited:

mandreyka

The propane engines are a little less powerful than gasoline. This may have changed with new technology. I seem to remember about a 10% drop.

Sparkplugs, the engine and the oil last much longer since propane burns cleaner.
Propane is different than natural gas, but yes I'm sure the power is less

Adieu

I'm very interested in this also.
There is a C.N.G. filling station directly across from the airport I work.I have seen C.N.G . limos.

Govt auctions often have the low mileage C.N.G. Honda Civics for sale.
I would prefer dual fuel capability myself.

The Australians have a few guys running propane or C.N.G I believe.

My gramps ran it in his Soviet Ladas and Volga's since the 1970s

Had some Italian kit juryrigged in... Pretty sure that one was for carburettor cars only, though. And it took up half his trunk with the tank.

Had on - the - fly dash mounted switch between petrol-gas and gas-gas. Downside: about 30% drop in horsepower/torque on gasgas.

Heard of but never saw personally: new European kits with custom tanks that fit without eating up trunk space, slotting into the space for a full size spare tire.

observer

Propane is different than natural gas, but yes I'm sure the power is less
Yupp, the tanks are totally different. CNG tanks are extremely high pressure. Propane not so high. We had two tow trucks with same engine, One propane, one gasoline. Propane was a little less expensive to buy but vehicle burned a little more propane than gasoline one. Overall it was less expensive to operate.

observer

My gramps ran it in his Soviet Ladas and Volga's since the 1970s

Had some Italian kit juryrigged in... Pretty sure that one was for carburettor cars only, though. And it took up half his trunk with the tank.

Had on - the - fly dash mounted switch between petrol-gas and gas-gas. Downside: about 30% drop in horsepower/torque on gasgas.

Heard of but never saw personally: new European kits with custom tanks that fit without eating up trunk space, slotting into the space for a full size spare tire.
Now that I think of it, I believe you are right it was 30%.

I have a 4" VW 1600 CC powered water pump that has been converted to gasoline or propane. I think it's just a tube that goes into the carburetor throat. When we want to run propane we just turn open a little valve and close the gasoline valve.

tohunt4me

Ive run solar,international harvester,and Stewart Stevenson turbine engines on Natural gas right out the ground.
We dehydrate and run it through a cartridge filtration,then a fuel gas chart to pay severance taxes.
Also run v-12 and v-16 caterpillar engines on Natural gas.
Burns a lot cleaner than diesel or jp-8.
Run compressors and generators.
On shell RAM Powell had 7 turbines in a row.I think it was G.E.'s on RAM Powell.dont remember.never ran those,just wired them up.

BigJohn

About 10 years ago I did extensive research on power output differences between Gasoline and Propane and Natural Gas.

Power output is 10% less with Propane than Gasoline
Power output is 20% less with Natural Gas than Gasoline.

However, the engine will last about 15% longer with EITHER Propane or Natural Gas with all maintenance being performed per recommended intervals.

tohunt4me

I've heard 50% or more on longevity.
With new low sulpher diesel figures may have changed.
All the fuel is a lot cleaner now than 20-30 years ago.

Something that always interested me.
On high dollar generator systems ,we often had electric " pre lube" systems.
60%-90% of engine wear is on start up.
Prelube systems are available for cars.they should come from the factory with these.

Last edited:

observer

About 10 years ago I did extensive research on power output differences between Gasoline and Propane and Natural Gas.

Power output is 10% less with Propane than Gasoline
Power output is 20% less with Natural Gas than Gasoline.

However, the engine will last about 15% longer with EITHER Propane or Natural Gas with all maintenance being performed per recommended intervals.
It's been about twenty years since we did our decidedly unscientific comparisons. In our case it may have been like you said 10% loss, maybe I'm remembering the difference in cost per gallon at 30%. It's been a long time.

tohunt4me

Gramps Lada had either 54 or 68 bhp...maybe it just FELT like 30%?
I've read that 30% figure before somewhere.
Propane has some liquids,more powefull than CNG.
YOU SAVING ABOUT .40 CENTS a gallon fuel tax if you compress it at home.
All the old cane farmers around here ran their John Deere tractors and farm trucks on propane.
At the refinery,butane/ propane was made off the crude oil.