Anybody File for Unemployment Yet?

25rides7daysaweek

Featured
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m in Texas and I gave up on unemployment. It took me ages to finally submit my application, and all I got was a “we need more information” message. Please call such and such,” and when I call there is no answer, or busy, or I get another recording telling me to “call later.” I don’t have time for that. I’ll resume UberEats in early May. Wish me luck because I can’t afford to get sick.
The federal money doesnt start till the 11th I think. The way it works here in Illinois is you have to get declined and keep reapplying till then. It's only $600 a week but I dont think rideshare is going to come back very soon. Keep reupping till then we will see. Hopefully it will go back the 6 weeks we been waiting
Good luck stay healthy

Daisey77

The federal money doesnt start till the 11th I think. The way it works here in Illinois is you have to get declined and keep reapplying till then. It's only $600 a week but I dont think rideshare is going to come back very soon. Keep reupping till then we will see. Hopefully it will go back the 6 weeks we been waiting
Good luck stay healthy
The FPUC has been in effect since they signed the Cares Act. The only delay in getting it would be, the state being delayed in getting the system up and running. However they must backdate it. Obviously your eligibility date comes into play but I know here, drivers who were eligible before the Cares Act was signed, got payment all the way back to when it was signed

Richiek123.

This is what I posted elsewhere...

Good day all. I filed for my unemployment this morning at 4:35am and stayed on the floridajobs.org website making sure that all of my info got recorded. For my further protection against "denial of claim" I used SNAGIT12 to record everything I documented on the screen in case of rejection for a lawyer to then later review. I also attached exhibits - UBER provided a 1099K as I made almost $23,000.00 in 2019 and Lyft had a 1099-Misc which was over $11,000.00 - when I filed, I filed that these are San Francisco companies... I gave their Tax Payer Identification numbers and I gave their physical headquarters and phone numbers. I claimed that I am filing because of COVID -19 (there was a check box.) I further claimed that I could not social distance myself from my passengers in my van (by 6 feet or more.) I claimed that UBER/LYFT are leaving it up to its' passengers (not drivers) to be aware of whether they are sick or not and that I cannot take that risk. I claimed that there are passengers that may have the virus and not be sick called spreaders and that I cannot afford to risk it for their business model. I claimed they coughed and sneezed in my vehicle and that my wife has a weakened immune system. I also claimed that the government shutdown has caused a severe turn in my pay. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT as of 3 or 4 days ago allows gig-workers to file for unemployment and I AM GETTING AHEAD OF THE CURVE. I claimed that the area I drive is ALL OF FLORIDA - not just my county...

My answers on the www.floridajobs.org website again were fully recorded on a video in case of the state of Florida rejecting my claims for the sole purpose of a lawsuit if denied. Just because SOMEONE tells me to jump off of a bridge does not mean I have to do so. In this case UBER/LYFT are telling us to jump off of a god damn bridge and I am one that will not do so! Your lives and mine are more important than a fare price... stay in and protect yourselves.

While the state of Florida has the lowest unemployment compensation ($275.00 a wk) after taxes $250.00 - please consider that the government is also tacking on $600.00 per week on top of the $275.00 per week for those unemployed (Nationwide.) Get unemployment now... @@@@ UBER/LYFT - cause a massive strike, ultimately we should create a union and get fair pay before going back to work for UBER/LYFT!!! More and more drivers are replacing us before this PANDEMIC!!! Now, with all of them, we cannot earn a fair wage...

Take advantage of the current situation people!!!
We are ALL AFFECTED BY THIS NOT JUST RIDESHARE DRIVERS... but,
WE can make a difference in the outcome for our future.
I was a FULL-TIME DRIVER.

At the end before I took myself off of the street I was making over $4,000 a month.
On unemployment, $275.00 per week = $1000.00 plus
$600.00 per week x 4 = $2400.00 for a total of $3400 before taxes (not driving) and saving lives including my own...
seems fair enough for up to 4 months (I believe.)

I wish you all the best, stay safe.
And, I hope I gave everyone a glimmer of hope!
If nothing more... it should also cause UBER/LYFT to report in the future for unemployment comp etc.
PEACE OUT.
I am getting $800/week on unemployment

Reactions: KDH

shirleyujest

Hey Fellow Drivers.

I haven't ever filed for unemployment before but as I'm out of work and we
are now eligible it's time to do it now.
. . .
I filed for unemployment a couple of weeks ago, was denied, then filed the protest they allowed. Then they gave me $160/week for unemployment, plus the $600 PUA (total $651/week, as I had asked them to withhold taxes). I received two weeks of unemployment and PUA benefits yesterday, along with the check for 1,200 yesterday. I feel like a millionaire. And so I'm going to do absolutely nothing for the next 39 weeks. That's the hard part, but it beats driving my new car into the ground.

I'm sure you'll probably be denied unemployment benefits at first, but just file the protest they allow, being as specific as you can in the explanation part. Good luck!
Post automatically merged:

You don’t get unemployment. You don’t quit and get it! There are rides out there and you chose not to do it. You do not qualify when you quit
I don't know where you are, but I was able to get unemployment (I'm in Michigan). In Michigan they allow "gig" workers unemployment benefits. It may be a nationwide thing. You should file an unemployment claim anyway. And that's the only way you're going to get the PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance) benefits of $600 per week.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDH

Daisey77

I filed for unemployment a couple of weeks ago, was denied, then filed the protest they allowed. Then they gave me $160/week for unemployment, plus the $600 PUA (total $651/week, as I had asked them to withhold taxes). I received two weeks of unemployment and PUA benefits yesterday, along with the check for 1,200 yesterday. I feel like a millionaire. And so I'm going to do absolutely nothing for the next 39 weeks. That's the hard part, but it beats driving my new car into the ground.

I'm sure you'll probably be denied unemployment benefits at first, but just file the protest they allow, being as specific as you can in the explanation part. Good luck!

I don't know where you are, but I was able to get unemployment (I'm in Michigan). In Michigan they allow "gig" workers unemployment benefits. It may be a nationwide thing. You should file an unemployment claim anyway. And that's the only way you're going to get the PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance) benefits of $600 per week.
Remember only the PUA ($160) is good for 39 weeks. The FPUC ($600) is only until the end of July

Andrew_H

Hey Fellow Drivers.

I think I heard that in addition to
the money that the state gives
there will be an additional $600
a week from the feds.

Let's share information about filing
and our payment timelines here.
Getting $254 a week for unemployment and $600 a week through the same unemployment but as a seperate payout for gig workers. It’s legit. I file at the end of May. Last Wednesday I got $1800 gig worker back pay. This week I got $854.

bigdogk9

I completed my application in Florida today. And it took all day. Each page too several minutes to load and several times I got an error and had to start over. At one point I got a message that the site was down and would be back up at 6:30 pm. And it was. It took 3 hours to do what should have taken 30 min but I got it done

There was a check box to indicate the reason for the application was the virus. But no instruction regarding the $600 that’s supposed to come from the feds I’m going to try to call tomorrow with that question
florida will not approve you,you will have to wait for the gig application to be put on line,they said with in the next week or so.

You have to mail in an appeal correct?

Getting $254 a week for unemployment and $600 a week through the same unemployment but as a seperate payout for gig workers. It’s legit. I file at the end of May. Last Wednesday I got $1800 gig worker back pay. This week I got $854.
I got $0 approved I think I need to appeal? Or reapply under the new system?

You mean you just have to file because you get the 600 regardless if you are approved or not? If it's not that way then you only get it if you are approved. There's no way you can be approved for unemployment and not get that 600
That is because Indiana will have to turn you down so that you can go directly to the federal government site and log in, give them information so that they can see if you are eligible to get the covid-19 PUA Federal 600.00 per week for 30 weeks. In other words one will have to be turned down for state unemployment in order to get the federal unemployment.

CANELO ALVAREZ

This is what I posted elsewhere...

Good day all. I filed for my unemployment this morning at 4:35am and stayed on the floridajobs.org website making sure that all of my info got recorded. For my further protection against "denial of claim" I used SNAGIT12 to record everything I documented on the screen in case of rejection for a lawyer to then later review. I also attached exhibits - UBER provided a 1099K as I made almost $23,000.00 in 2019 and Lyft had a 1099-Misc which was over $11,000.00 - when I filed, I filed that these are San Francisco companies... I gave their Tax Payer Identification numbers and I gave their physical headquarters and phone numbers. I claimed that I am filing because of COVID -19 (there was a check box.) I further claimed that I could not social distance myself from my passengers in my van (by 6 feet or more.) I claimed that UBER/LYFT are leaving it up to its' passengers (not drivers) to be aware of whether they are sick or not and that I cannot take that risk. I claimed that there are passengers that may have the virus and not be sick called spreaders and that I cannot afford to risk it for their business model. I claimed they coughed and sneezed in my vehicle and that my wife has a weakened immune system. I also claimed that the government shutdown has caused a severe turn in my pay. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT as of 3 or 4 days ago allows gig-workers to file for unemployment and I AM GETTING AHEAD OF THE CURVE. I claimed that the area I drive is ALL OF FLORIDA - not just my county...

My answers on the www.floridajobs.org website again were fully recorded on a video in case of the state of Florida rejecting my claims for the sole purpose of a lawsuit if denied. Just because SOMEONE tells me to jump off of a bridge does not mean I have to do so. In this case UBER/LYFT are telling us to jump off of a god damn bridge and I am one that will not do so! Your lives and mine are more important than a fare price... stay in and protect yourselves.

While the state of Florida has the lowest unemployment compensation ($275.00 a wk) after taxes $250.00 - please consider that the government is also tacking on $600.00 per week on top of the $275.00 per week for those unemployed (Nationwide.) Get unemployment now... @@@@ UBER/LYFT - cause a massive strike, ultimately we should create a union and get fair pay before going back to work for UBER/LYFT!!! More and more drivers are replacing us before this PANDEMIC!!! Now, with all of them, we cannot earn a fair wage...

Take advantage of the current situation people!!!
We are ALL AFFECTED BY THIS NOT JUST RIDESHARE DRIVERS... but,
WE can make a difference in the outcome for our future.
I was a FULL-TIME DRIVER.

At the end before I took myself off of the street I was making over $4,000 a month.
On unemployment, $275.00 per week = $1000.00 plus
$600.00 per week x 4 = $2400.00 for a total of $3400 before taxes (not driving) and saving lives including my own...
seems fair enough for up to 4 months (I believe.)

I wish you all the best, stay safe.
And, I hope I gave everyone a glimmer of hope!
If nothing more... it should also cause UBER/LYFT to report in the future for unemployment comp etc.
PEACE OUT.
THANK YOU

OCUberGuy

Hey Fellow Drivers.

I think I heard that in addition to
the money that the state gives
there will be an additional $600
a week from the feds.

Let's share information about filing
and our payment timelines here.
CA is up and running with their new website, looks legit.

Daisey77

That is because Indiana will have to turn you down so that you can go directly to the federal government site and log in, give them information so that they can see if you are eligible to get the covid-19 PUA Federal 600.00 per week for 30 weeks. In other words one will have to be turned down for state unemployment in order to get the federal unemployment.
So it sounds like you guys are being given a lot of misinformation.

1) Although the PUA and FPUC is 100% federally funded, the states are individually in charge of implementing and overseeing them. There is no federal govt site to handle claims. Perhaps your state government has 2 sites? One for UI and one for PUA?

2) The FPUC ($600) is not for 30 weeks. Its only 16-17 weeks. March 29 until July 31st

3) the fact Indiana is making you get denied the PUA in order to get the FPUC is scarey. All I can say is educate yourself on the matter so you have facts when you are dealing with them. The Federal guidelines state you have to be approved for the PUA in order to get the FPUC. So them denying you for PUA, automatically disqualifies you the FPUC. You cant that without the PUA

Yep I can see what you mean, on top of that they have just sent me a second site within their government site that is saying that even though we are not or have not yet received the pua, we have to fill out vouchers stating hours work and money made.

Corona

Any self employed (rideshare driver) got the benefit yet in NJ? I would like to know because I’m still checking everyday but nothing.

FYI, UBER drivers in Indiana's Uber Hot Spots, your PUA should be coming to your DEBIT cards tomorrow???
CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ON PANDEMIC UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE?
Q47. What is Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)?
click on this link to get an example of what people are being put through by some states, https://www.reddit.com/r/Unemployment/comments/fv84hx/_/fmh51b7
Click on this link for information on how to file for PAU in most states for GIG Workers, https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=define+Leave+of+Absence+Not+"A&A"

Click on this link or get a lawyer if your state refuses to pay PUA to you as a GIG Worker,

A47. PUA creates a temporary federal unemployment insurance program for individuals not otherwise
eligible for UI benefits, including the self-employed, independent contractors, gig economy workers,
those seeking part-time employment, and individuals lacking sufficient work history but who would be
able to work and looking for work were it not due to COVID-19. PUA is not payable to individuals who
have the ability to telework with pay or who are receiving paid sick leave or other paid leave benefits.
The new federal program requires an entire new system to be designed and built from the ground up.
DWD is integrating the new system into Uplink so that these benefits can be provided as quickly and
efficiently as possible to impacted Hoosiers. PUA applications will be available in Uplink on April 24 to
those who have already applied for and been denied regular UI benefits. PUA applications will be
available to others as soon as they apply for and are denied regular UI. DWD will begin making PUA
payments on May 8, 2020.
Q48. If I am self-employed, part of the “gig” economy or do not have sufficient work history to qualify
for unemployment insurance benefits but am not able to work due to COVID-19, will I be eligible for
unemployment insurance benefits?
A48. Self-employed individuals, independent contractors/gig economy workers or those who do not
have sufficient work history are not engaged in covered employment for the purposes of UI, so regular
UI benefits would not be available. You will likely be eligible for PUA. PUA is not payable to individuals
who have the ability to telework with pay or who are receiving paid sick leave or other paid leave
benefits. To be eligible for PUA, you must file for regular unemployment insurance benefits and be
denied. Instructions on how to add your employer can be found here. You will then apply for PUA. PUA
applications will be available in the online filing system, Uplink, starting on April 24, 2020.

Uberguyken

I'm Getting $706 a week in Mississippi until July 31st, and $106 a week after that if they don't extend the additional $600. As we base our weekly certifications on PROFIT, not Earnings as IC's... I take my weekly income (As I'm still driving) and deduct my .575 per mile total for that same week to come up with profit and I have been in the negative every week so far and suspect It will be the same for the foreseeable future and I will get the max benefits as long as I claim I made $0 after expenses....so I plan on filing every week until the 39 weeks we are eligible for runs out... Even if it's only $106 a week. I didn't ask for the economy to shut down so I'm getting paid anything I'm eligible for period.....

Anyone not doing it this way.... You are leaving money (That your eligible for) on the table...

tenor - 2020-02-17T014938.388.gif