Anybody Drive Downtown Last Night?

Big John

I am a new driver, but it seemed like there were an abundance of uber/lyft drivers on the road last night. I headed downtown because I was under the impression that the road closures weren't taking effect until tomorrow. My first ping was 5 minutes away, then I hit traffic restriction and I got stuck in the fatal funnel going around public square. I called my pax after twenty minutes and told them they may be better off trying to find somebody closer. It took a total of 35 minutes before I got near the intersection where the pickup was located.

Next I headed over to W25th, after about 20 minutes I pulled up my rider app and saw six other drivers in my immediate area, every time I would move the pin down the street there were more and more cars waiting. Is that typical for a Friday night, or is that probably just drivers trying to cash in on the RNC?

I only caught one surge fare at 1.5 at closing time. I ride with uber on a regular basis and the lowest I usually see at 2am is 2x-3x. I didn't expect to make a ton of money, but I only made out with about $40 for 3 hours of driving. I know I'm not going to get rich, I'm just looking for some insight from the drivers who have been around a while.

I'm debating on giving downtown another go tonight, or I might try my luck in the Stow/Kent area.

Cheers.

Reactions: TRW

RightTurnTony

I am a new driver, but it seemed like there were an abundance of uber/lyft drivers on the road last night. I headed downtown because I was under the impression that the road closures weren't taking effect until tomorrow. My first ping was 5 minutes away, then I hit traffic restriction and I got stuck in the fatal funnel going around public square. I called my pax after twenty minutes and told them they may be better off trying to find somebody closer. It took a total of 35 minutes before I got near the intersection where the pickup was located.

Next I headed over to W25th, after about 20 minutes I pulled up my rider app and saw six other drivers in my immediate area, every time I would move the pin down the street there were more and more cars waiting. Is that typical for a Friday night, or is that probably just drivers trying to cash in on the RNC?

I only caught one surge fare at 1.5 at closing time. I ride with uber on a regular basis and the lowest I usually see at 2am is 2x-3x. I didn't expect to make a ton of money, but I only made out with about $40 for 3 hours of driving. I know I'm not going to get rich, I'm just looking for some insight from the drivers who have been around a while.

I'm debating on giving downtown another go tonight, or I might try my luck in the Stow/Kent area.

Cheers.
Your observations are spot on. Using the rider app, there is no more than a 4 minute wait anywhere in the downtown and near west side areas. The trollers are even covering the burbs right now. If you're hell bent on driving, staying close to home might be the best option. You might not have a banner session but your operating costs will be minimal. Good luck and Uber on!

Tim In Cleveland

Is that typical for a Friday night, or is that probably just drivers trying to cash in on the RNC?
It's mostly just RNC. The drivers have flooded in but convention goers are still arriving and many locals are boycotting downtown due to hassles and safety concerns. I feel sorry for people bothering to drive in just to make scraps.
Summertime can also flood the market with college break drivers. Haven't seen that so far this year. The word might be out that this job sucks.

Tito442

Ya the surge Friday night was very small and lasted total maybe 15 minutes. There are so many drivers it's bad. Not a good time to drive in Cleveland. I'm making less than usual and I'm a local.

Tim In Cleveland

It's daytime that drivers will be in short supply. The job pays so little, the vast majority of drivers have other jobs and can't drive weekdays.

Tito442

Time to drive then! I swear the surge is almost non existent these days. Just a few weeks ago you could count on surge times within reason. Now you can't.

chipper1960

Retired teacher and Republican.Figured I would drive up and spend a week driving Uber and enjoying some of the events in Cleveland.Not worried about how much money I make.I have already met some GREAT drivers in the airport lot and have learned so much from these great people.Booked a cheap room early in year at a Motel 6 30 minutes from airport.
Been busy driving Lakewood and Akron areas.Airport deal sucks and I will tell ya Uber really misrepresented this deal for out of town drivers so don't be angry with us, locals.
Having a great time and wish all of you the best!Thank goodness for this forum as only way I found NEW Ride Share lot address and road closures before I arrived.

Uber8er

Yeah that's it crookedhalo i eat to much salt. And you don't get surges because you haven't updated the app enough.

Kalee

Ignore uber8er. He eats too much salt.
What a hilarious comment! LMAO. (still chuckling)
I am going to use that one sometime. =)

And Uber8er I am not laughing at you. I like both you and crookedhalo. Play nice. I hope both of you make lots of money if you are going to drive the RNC but wish for your safety.
I wish nobody would drive though. I'm afraid for all drivers safety. Uber does not give a rats ass about the drivers.

crookedhalo

No worries here, I'm not driving this nightmare. Not that I would have time too if I wanted to, pulling 12 hour days all this week