Any Way to Identify Hostile Riders Before Trip?

jerseycrooner

My ratings dropped under 4.6 then I made an effort to drive outside Newark (except the airport) and its immediate vicinity. My ratings bounced back now to almost 4.8. Anyone have any thoughts on avoiding hostile riders intent on giving certain drivers unfair negative ratings?

Last edited:

Ivan809

Look for better quality rides. That's really all I can say. I'll leave it up to you to determine what that means.

jerseycrooner

Roger on that! I avoid shopping malls like Short Hills and especially Livingston Mall. I avoid bus stops. I avoid department stores, supermarkets.

Canteev

My ratings dropped under 4.6 then I made an effort to drive outside Newark (except the airport) and its immediate vicinity. My ratings bounced back now to almost 4.8. Anyone have any thoughts on avoiding hostile riders intent on giving certain drivers unfair negative ratings?

There are only three ways to vet a pax. First is looking at rating, second is communicating through the phone, and third is via interaction in the car before the driver starts the trip. All three propositions have holes, but drivers can eliminate a few bad ratings just by applying the three aforementioned vetting actions.

jerseycrooner

There are only three ways to vet a pax. First is looking at rating, second is communicating through the phone, and third is via interaction in the car before the driver starts the trip. All three propositions have holes, but drivers can eliminate a few bad ratings just by applying the three aforementioned vetting actions.
Any tips on cancelling after vetting? Best way is to get rider to cancel. But how?

Try and use the jersey wise ass right back at them and use a sense of humor.
Jersey wiseass does not play well with certain people intent on ruining your ratings because of , well just because.

ftimmy

Here is one thing I've learned. Never ever accept a request from somebody you just cancelled as a no-show. If they did set the pickup point in the correct location but they were simply taking their sweet time getting to you, then it's quite likely that they feel entitled to treat you like shit and you are closest to them when they re-request.

jerseycrooner

Here is one thing I've learned. Never ever accept a request from somebody you just cancelled as a no-show. If they did set the pickup point in the correct location but they were simply taking their sweet time getting to you, then it's quite likely that they feel entitled to treat you like shit and you are closest to them when they re-request.
Good point. I have accepted second pings from PAX after I cancelled them for "no show" the first time. A bad rating often follows!

JohnnyJets

Picked up a uber Pooh ride this morning the only reason why I took it was because it was to complete my three consecutive trips lady was so nasty and disrespectful. You can tell that she didn't like the white people. She asked me several times what I was doing in Newark and why I was driving in Newark and I let her know that I was born and raised in the city I'm very familiar with the city and that so happens to be that I had to drop off in Newark and her request came in next. She then proceeded to complain about the navigation system that I was using Waze and complained about the route that i was taking us so I pulled over to the side of the road and asked if she would like to drive a vehicle to her destination. She started flipping out and I ended the ride and requested that you get out of my car. Now I have a complaint against me for professionalism. I'm not even going to bother letting Uber know what happened just ridiculous

Last edited:

Canteev

For low ratings, you just ignore. For bad behavior, on the phone or in the car, you probably have to cancel yourself. You can always drive away after the five minutes to force them to cancel, but it's a waste of time. Besides, you really shouldn't be encountering that many problem riders during your shift. I usually end up having to cancel a lot during major holidays or during surge time at bar closing. Other than that, I just send a text to let them know that I've arrived. If I get no response, I usually cancel. I only call if it's a really high surge or if I've had a slow night.

Ride-Share-Risk-Manager

I think everyone here has given good advice. The members of our driver group have stopped driving for Lyft as we are getting almost daily hostile passenger situations and outright violence from Lyft passengers. It has not been as bad with Uber but that is mainly because we use the DF's carefully, we avoid the hood and supermarket pick ups and passengers with obvious drug dealer names and we never do Uber Pool. I should point out that we are all now part time drivers with other jobs and businesses and are decreasing our driving because there is just too much risk and potential for violence and abuse from passengers. Also, the decreasing fares for increased risk is just not worth it anymore.

jerseycrooner

Picked up a uber Pooh ride this morning the only reason why I took it was because it was to complete my three consecutive trips lady was so nasty and disrespectful. You can tell that you didn't like the white people. She asked me several times what I was doing in Newark and why I was driving in Newark and I let her know that I was born and raised in the city I'm very familiar with the city and that so happens to be that I had to drop off in Newark and her request came in next. She then proceeded to complain about the navigation system that I was using Waze and complained about the route that i was taking us so I pulled over to the side of the road and asked if she would like to drive a vehicle to her destination. She started flipping out and I ended the ride their request that you get out of my car. Now I have a complaint against me for professionalism. I'm not even going to bother letting Uber know what happened just ridiculous
I advise you contact Uber and complain about this PAX and let Uber know what transpired. Just to protect yourself.

JohnnyJets

How dare any of you imply that racial bias isn't restricted to whites. You're all just a bunch of alt right Trump supporting confederate flag waving Brexiteers.
And proud

I advise you contact Uber and complain about this PAX and let Uber know what transpired. Just to protect yourself.
On the phone with them now for a different reason but planned on letting them know

EyeseeYou612

Some of y'all are legit toeing the line of saying "pax isn't white, how do I not let them in my car but not be cancelling/have it effect my cancellation %". Maybe it's my age (in my 30's), but you are in the wrong business if you want to vet your pax to that point. Not every pax is going to be this amazing & perfect, nor will they be your cup of tea. It is a job, not a friend making business.

Eesoso

Idk. 99.99% of my passengers are just trying to get from point A to point B. Some are more ornery/impatient than others. I usually attribute that to them being a rush for a very important something and I understand. In many cases, we are Plan C of transportation options. I don't try to identify which are which; an impossible task. I have found very little correlation between location and unpleasant pax. Race has nothing to do with it. Don't be silly. They are anywhere and everywhere. Star ratings are somewhat helpful, but only if they are at the extreme ends. Also many false positives.

Instead of trying to avoid them, why not accept them and deal with it. You are losing out on a market of riders otherwise, no matter the issue. As the driver of the vehicle, YOU set the mood of the trip, beginning with the simple confirmation greeting. Courtesy, respect, and gentle politeness go a long way.

Last edited: