Any unemployment benefits for WA drivers during corona virus outbreak?

K-pax

This slowdown in adjustments is making me glad I applied when the CARES Act was passed, not when the state changed its computer system to deal with it. I knew I wouldn't see any money until they changed the system, but I wanted to be further up the line for adjustment when they did. Guess that worked.
Yeah I wish I had.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
It just writes itself.
UBER driver uses skeleton to help promote social distancing

OBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — UBER is encouraging passengers to stay in the back seat to limit the spread of Coronavirus. A woman from Irvington is using a Halloween trick to enforce the rule with some fun. Even with the Pandemic, people still need to get around and the next time you hail a ride you might find a guest already in the front seat.

“I took the skeleton out of my closet and put it in my car,” said Uber driver Kathleen from Irvinton. Kathleen has been grabbing fares from the ride-hailing company for two years. She wants riders to keep their distance and she figured out a nice way to keep people out of the front seat, a happy looking Halloween skeleton.

Johnny Mnemonic

It just writes itself.
UBER driver uses skeleton to help promote social distancing

OBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — UBER is encouraging passengers to stay in the back seat to limit the spread of Coronavirus. A woman from Irvington is using a Halloween trick to enforce the rule with some fun. Even with the Pandemic, people still need to get around and the next time you hail a ride you might find a guest already in the front seat.

“I took the skeleton out of my closet and put it in my car,” said Uber driver Kathleen from Irvinton. Kathleen has been grabbing fares from the ride-hailing company for two years. She wants riders to keep their distance and she figured out a nice way to keep people out of the front seat, a happy looking Halloween skeleton.

Can't believe no one here thought of this. Especially considering the monthly, "Pax sat in the front seat," threads.

Amos69

Hey everyone, I was forwarded this from one of my homies. It provides some clarification for the time being

Job search requirements still optional
The suspension of job search requirements for benefits was extended through July 1. As long as the suspension is in effect, you may select "no" on the job search question on your weekly claim.

While the suspension of the job search requirement may be extended again, it will ultimately be reinstated as the economy opens up. We are committed to helping you understand job search requirements before we require that you report them in your weekly claim. Learn more and stay up-to-date about job search on our website.

If job search suspension expires on July 1, here is the timeline for resuming activities:

• July 1: Job search suspension expires
  • July 5: You begin job search activities through the week – we’ll post the expanded list of acceptable activities on our website.
  • July 12: Report your job search activities on your weekly claim for the week prior.
We will send you another email if job search is reinstated next week as a reminder, and provide more details about accepted job search activities.

K-pax

Closing in on the last month of the federal $600 and still haven’t had my benefit adjusted...

dimwit_driver

In case anyone ignored the email alert from ESD:

July 2, 2020

Update on job search requirements

The governor, with support from the Legislature, has extended the suspension of the job search requirement through Aug. 1.

You can continue to answer “no” to the job search question on your weekly claim until the suspension is lifted.

Dammit Mazzacane

I read that while the extra $600 enhancement for unemployment is broadly ending, it will be continued for freelance and gig workers? It was a single sentence in a newspaper article. Anybody have more details? If so, share as I assume drivers would be part of this cohort eligible.

Amos69

I read that while the extra $600 enhancement for unemployment is broadly ending, it will be continued for freelance and gig workers? It was a single sentence in a newspaper article. Anybody have more details? If so, share as I assume drivers would be part of this cohort eligible.
Havent heard anything like that. Do you have a source? I try and follow all this to share with my friends.

dimwit_driver

You must have read that wrong. It ends for all workers, traditional and gig.

I do expect an extension in act now being haggled over in Congress. I highly doubt it will be for the full $600. My guess is in the $300-400 range, and I expect it will backdate. So you will get a nice check at some point in the future. What you are supposed to do in the meantime is not even a flicker in the tissue that passes for "brain" in the likes of Moscow Mitch or the Orange Creature (or really any member of Congress).

Dammit Mazzacane

I did misread it - regular unemployment will continue for freelancers and gig workers

Here it is — same story was in The Seattle Times:

The $600 weekly bonus is technically set to expire July 31, but the cutoff is effectively Saturday owing to how states process payments.

Other aspects of the enhanced benefits will continue, including coverage for some gig workers and freelancers who are usually ineligible for unemployment, as well as a 13-week extension of regular payments that the federal government is helping to subsidize.

Critics noted that the extra cash payments meant many workers were receiving more for not working than they did working — a possible disincentive for returning to the job. Supporters cast that as an acknowledgement that wages were too low, and said the extra money was a chance for workers to build up a cushion in case they remained unemployed after benefits expire.

K-pax

I did misread it - regular unemployment will continue for freelancers and gig workers

Here it is — same story was in The Seattle Times:

The $600 weekly bonus is technically set to expire July 31, but the cutoff is effectively Saturday owing to how states process payments.

Other aspects of the enhanced benefits will continue, including coverage for some gig workers and freelancers who are usually ineligible for unemployment, as well as a 13-week extension of regular payments that the federal government is helping to subsidize.

Critics noted that the extra cash payments meant many workers were receiving more for not working than they did working — a possible disincentive for returning to the job. Supporters cast that as an acknowledgement that wages were too low, and said the extra money was a chance for workers to build up a cushion in case they remained unemployed after benefits expire.
Yeah... so how well will you live on $231 a week? Anyone who has not been adjusted, that's what we're getting without the $600. That's right... $231... A WEEK.

Dammit Mazzacane

Well-
$13.50 WA min. wage , lop off 1/4th for taxes = $10.31 / hour. So: $231 / $10.31 = 22 and a half hours/week in a min. wage job, take-home.

So yeah, $231/week is crap. I've earned that much, in net, in a weekend of about 16 hours on the road doing basic rideshare driving pre-COVID.
Post automatically merged:

(Net income from rideshare driving doesn't consider wear and tear, gas, etc.)

K-pax

Well-
$13.50 WA min. wage , lop off 1/4th for taxes = $10.31 / hour. So: $231 / $10.31 = 22 and a half hours/week in a min. wage job, take-home.

So yeah, $231/week is crap. I've earned that much, in net, in a weekend of about 16 hours on the road doing basic rideshare driving pre-COVID.

Yep. So, ESD wants to offer me half of minimum wage GROSS and BEFORE TAXES. And Republicans are balking that I've 'had it too good'. Screw these people.

Well-

I would earn more than that in ONE DAY.