Any unemployment benefits for WA drivers during corona virus outbreak?

Amos69

My big thing is that the federal $600 expires July 31st. What if Inslee doesn’t lift the stay at home order by then? We will be stuck at half our income.
I do not see that happening unless there is a HUGE resurgence in Covid. If that were to happen then I would imagine the world is going to change so much @Lissetti 's Garden might be in danger by early August harvest.

aspacepig

My big thing is that the federal $600 expires July 31st. What if Inslee doesn’t lift the stay at home order by then? We will be stuck at half our income.
Inslee isn't going to extend this again. He might have most of the idiots agreeing with him now, but look for the May 31st extension to be lifted Mid May.

So pretty sure the answer is I'm getting zero. I have a regular w-2 job that I'm working around 25 hours a week at right now. In the last year I was doing Lyft/Uber in the mornings and making a little more than my w-2 job. I applied for the pua claim yesterday. I got an email saying that I could qualify for up to $235. In my weeks summary for my claim they all say excess earnings. Does this mean that I get zero, or do I get zero plus $600?

Captainfantasitc SG8

So pretty sure the answer is I'm getting zero. I have a regular w-2 job that I'm working around 25 hours a week at right now. In the last year I was doing Lyft/Uber in the mornings and making a little more than my w-2 job. I applied for the pua claim yesterday. I got an email saying that I could qualify for up to $235. In my weeks summary for my claim they all say excess earnings. Does this mean that I get zero, or do I get zero plus $600?
You only get $600 a week if you receive atleast $1 from unemployment insurance in that week.
Post automatically merged:

But if at our regular w-2 job your hours were reduced due to covid-19 you are eligible for unemployment insurance money.

Ballard_Driver

Inslee isn't going to extend this again. He might have most of the idiots agreeing with him now, but look for the May 31st extension to be lifted Mid May.
One can only hope! You seem to have more faith in the sanity of Inslee than I do. Some of these governors are STILL ratcheting things down harder right now, which is insane given all the new data. He might tweak his 3 weeks between every phase plan he announced a little bit, but we sure as heck aren't going to see significant changes in the next 10-12 days. Not from this guy. If people continue to put TONS of pressure on them, and the numbers just keep making this all look completely counter productive, then MAYBE we'll get out of it faster than his stupid plan. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I won't be holding my breath!

So the way the system works is kinda stupid... Basically before they even check or verify your income pre CV, they're preliminarily approving everybody for the minimum payout of $235. So if you make too much to qualify for anything at that amount, what will happen is once they actually verify your real pre CV income, that amount will be adjusted up. So let's say you qualified for $700 a week after that, as long as you're not making too much to qualify for something at that adjusted amount, then you'll get whatever from the state + $600. Once they do that they'll also pay back weeks.

They did it this way so they were getting SOMETHING out to people ASAP. It's kind dumb, but it is what it is. I am in the same boat for the first few weeks I filed for, but have essentially stopped driving now, so starting with this week I should be at a point where I will hopefully get paid out even before they adjust. We'll see.

Amos69

Good question. I mentioned this the other day on the national board. I haven't heard from anyone that has. I doubt they will.

Diesel Driver

If they don't, they will be subject to a class-action lawsuit. I thenk they will, probably about the time the PUA runs out. It will be a nice parting gift for the independent contractors.

aspacepig

I received an email this weekend from ESD asking for Lyft tax information for 2018. Replied with the docs, but haven't heard anything yet or seen a change.

aspacepig

Just spoke to the agent. She says she just added Lyft. Someone else will do Uber.

They get batches of work assigned. And adding Uber wasnt in her assignment for me.

I hope to see the adjusted difference for the past 9 weeks in my bank tomorrow as it says paid for the new amount against all 9 rows.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager

tipster98122

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Brokenglass400

There is good info on this thread which would pertain to your situation. And a LOT of it.
Use your downtime to read ALL the posts, in the order they were posted. Twice. Even though some of it is dated and not relevant now you will benefit from knowing this info.

Then go to the WA State Employment Security Department(ESD) website and read those guidelines on filing the Pandemic Unemployment Application (PUA). Thoroughly read all the info so you really understand what is needed, etc.

Get all your info together before you start the application.
Check back on the website daily for any e-correspondence from ESD and answer back quickly.
Be patient and wait.

Feel free to ask questions but please do your homework first. We're a helpful bunch but we're not going to rehash every little thing.

Brokenglass400

@Brokenglass400

There is good info on this thread which would pertain to your situation. And a LOT of it.
Use your downtime to read ALL the posts, in the order they were posted. Twice. Even though some of it is dated and not relevant now you will benefit from knowing this info.

Then go to the WA State Employment Security Department(ESD) website and read those guidelines on filing the Pandemic Unemployment Application (PUA). Thoroughly read all the info so you really understand what is needed, etc.

Get all your info together before you start the application.
Check back on the website daily for any e-correspondence from ESD and answer back quickly.
Be patient and wait.

Feel free to ask questions but please do your homework first. We're a helpful bunch but we're not going to rehash every little thing.
So I just got done applying for unemployment and I received an email right after saying I'm not eligible because I didn't work x amount of hours. Attached is the photo.

Am I supposed to go and apply for PUA now?

Attachments

aspacepig

So I just got done applying for unemployment and I received an email right after saying I'm not eligible because I didn't work x amount of hours. Attached is the photo.

You'll have to talk to an agent. But they're not taking calls for a few days.

You can send them a message through the ESD system though.

dimwit_driver

When you applied for unemployment you should have applied for PUA, not regular. When you are applying on that form and it asks for your employer don't enter an employer. Continue on with the form until you get to where it asks about self employment or IC work. You will have to enter your earnings by quarter, which is a pain on the Lyft side (you'll see what I mean when you get there). At the end be sure to attach all of your Lyft and Uber (and whoever else's) 1099s. The hours you've worked don't matter for PUA. I know they have some informational video on their site about filling out the form. I didn't watch it so I can't really say if it's helpful. But since you are having trouble you might give it a whirl and see if that helps.

K-pax

When you applied for unemployment you should have applied for PUA, not regular. When you are applying on that form and it asks for your employer don't enter an employer. Continue on with the form until you get to where it asks about self employment or IC work. You will have to enter your earnings by quarter, which is a pain on the Lyft side (you'll see what I mean when you get there). At the end be sure to attach all of your Lyft and Uber (and whoever else's) 1099s. The hours you've worked don't matter for PUA. I know they have some informational video on their site about filling out the form. I didn't watch it so I can't really say if it's helpful. But since you are having trouble you might give it a whirl and see if that helps.
The people who applied after the cares went into effect still have to apply for regular, then get a message with a link, then they allow you to get pua. For some reason they wanted to do it that way. I have a denied regular claim and a pua claim on my acct.

Ballard_Driver

The people who applied after the cares went into effect still have to apply for regular, then get a message with a link, then they allow you to get pua. For some reason they wanted to do it that way. I have a denied regular claim and a pua claim on my acct.
I think it's because of the way the federal act was written. The feds are actually paying our "regular" unemployment AND the $600 too... But only for contractors etc. So they require people to be declared not covered by the regular state system before they will pay the bill for PUA.