Any benefit to driving during snowstorms?

Syrenn97

I’m still very much a beginner- only 14 rides done, lol. Last night when the storm started, I wasn’t seeing any benefit to continuing to drive, especially since I had such a miserable day. (Was logged in to the app from noon-6:30, only 8 rides, made $80- spent $10 in gas. YUCK)
However, I have also noticed that I was getting 3 points for rides before the storm started when I would have expected 1 point- there was no promo noted.
So clearly, I’m not fluent in understanding the system. Did I potentially miss out in not continuing during the storm?
Post automatically merged:

I’m still very much a beginner- only 14 rides done, lol. Last night when the storm started, I wasn’t seeing any benefit to continuing to drive, especially since I had such a miserable day. (Was logged in to the app from noon-6:30, only 8 rides, made $80- spent $10 in gas. YUCK)
However, I have also noticed that I was getting 3 points for rides before the storm started when I would have expected 1 point- there was no promo noted.
So clearly, I’m not fluent in understanding the system. Did I potentially miss out in not continuing during the storm?
I should clarify- used a quarter tank of gas. With the pick n save/ BP discounts I get along with the lower than usual prices last week, it was probably more like $6.
As a sidebar- my vehicle probably qualifies for the Black SUV category, but nope because I’m new? Grrrr. When and if I do qualify, will X rides still be routed to me if there are no requests for Black?

Last edited:

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Whoa boy. So much to address here so bear with me.

Number one don't obsess over gas. That is probably only about a third of your total cost per mile. If you need help calculating the cost per mile let us know. Syn and I will have differences of opinion but I like to budget for repairs that haven't occurred yet, but I know we'll based on experience.

Number two yes you're missing out if you don't drive in a snowstorm. I happen to prefer driving in bad weather because I get more business. but, I am comfortable driving in it, whereas other drivers are not and worried about getting in an accident.

Number three everything I've read says that the higher tiers of service don't have enough demand, even in a larger City such as Milwaukee. If your vehicle qualifies for them that means you probably have a very high cost per mile vehicle. You could get a tip on every single ride and it still wouldn't make up for your increased costs. It's likely that you should not be driving such a vehicle for Uber x. You can turn off uberx in the app, but if you think you're waiting around for rides now you'll really be waiting after you do that. but yes I think you need to do a certain number of rides before you can do the upper service tiers.

Please excuse voice to text fails. I'm sitting in the cell phone lot at msn and I don't feel like taking my phone out of its mount.

Syn

Driving in the snowstorms is beneficial only when there is a surge (usually 7-9 am).

Any other time its not because of:
1) You'll be getting requests from too far away and will waste a lot time on pickups.
2) Even though you'll be getting a lot of requests, you won't complete more rides than usual because you'll be driving much slower. You might make additional buck or two, but not much since Uber is mostly mileage based.
3) Much higher chance of getting into an accident.
4) Passengers might (and will) blame you for being late to their appointments since many of them think that you should drive the same way during snowstorm just like you would drive if there is no snow outside.

p.s. what kind of a car do you drive?

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Driving in the snowstorms is beneficial only when there is a surge (usually 7-9 am).

Any other time its not because of:
1) You'll be getting requests from too far away and will waste a lot time on pickups.
2) Even though you'll be getting a lot of requests, you won't complete more rides than usual because you'll be driving much slower. You might make additional buck or two, but not much since Uber is mostly mileage based.
3) Much higher chance of getting into an accident.
4) Passengers might (and will) blame you for being late to their appointments since many of them think that you should drive the same way during snowstorm just like you would drive if there is no snow outside.

Yes of course the surge makes it worth it, but I am odd in that I actually like long pickups. Because I make money on the way to the pickup.

Syn

Yes of course the surge makes it worth it, but I am odd in that I actually like long pickups. Because I make money on the way to the pickup.
Just so you know, I consider a "long pickup" everything longer than 4-5 min. :smiles: Uber doesn't pay for pickups until 10 min mark, correct?

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Just so you know, I consider a "long pickup" everything longer than 4-5 min. :smiles: Uber doesn't pay for pickups until 10 min mark, correct?
Yes. I'm not going to give away all my secrets but there are times when I am getting 22 minute pings back to back.

Syn

Unless there is a surge, I would never accept that unless I know that it will get me back to Milwaukee. The last thing I need is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere at 8 pm on Wednesday (it happened last night, I ended up in a damn Hartford and worse of all - it was on Lyft so the pay was horrible).

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I don't do Lyft, I only do Uber. Usually when I get along pick up it's on the west side of Madison and they're going right back across town to the airport which is only 10 minutes from downtown Madison. So when that happens I get like $30 for 45 minutes of my time.

When I've driven in greater Milwaukee I tend to get quite a few long pickups in the Waukesha / lake country area. Like I'll be sitting at goerkes corners and somebody near sunset or Les Paul highway wants to go somewhere. Or I'll be somewhere in Waukesha and get a ping to downtown Pewaukee. Stuff like that.

Syrenn97

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ve not had a pickup 10 or more minutes away yet! What do you get paid for doing that? Sorry for being so clueless.

I have a 2019 Subaru Forester. I wasn’t planning on doing RS when I leased it. I have to make sure I don’t exceed my mileage allotment of 1k miles a month. I got a good deal on the lease ($350/month, zero down, first month free on 36 months)- and also no maintenance costs is a plus. They pay for the oil changes, tire rotations and everything else. It does handle really well in the snow. A big improvement from how I used to white-knuckle it in my old Toyota Camry, paralyzed with fear any time I was caught in bad weather!
What do you drive? :smiles:

Last edited:

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I’ve not had a pickup 10 or more minutes away yet! What do you get paid for doing that? Sorry for being so clueless.

I have a 2019 Subaru Forester. I wasn’t planning on doing RS when I leased it. I have to make sure I don’t exceed my mileage allotment of 1k miles a month. I got a good deal on the lease ($350/month, zero down, first month free on 36 months)- and also no maintenance costs is a plus. They pay for the oil changes, tire rotations and everything else. It does handle really well in the snow. A big improvement from how I used to white-knuckle it in my old Toyota Camry, paralyzed with fear any time I was caught in bad weather!
Anything over 10 minutes away pays about $1 per minute over 10 minutes. So naturally I love 22 minute pickups because I get $12 just to drive to the pickup. This is true also if I have to cancel no show.

That sounds like a nice car. Doing rideshare you will exceed 1000 miles per month very easily! I put 2000-4000 per month on mine easily, personal and rideshare combined. For example, if I drive all day Saturday I can put on 200-250 miles in one DAY, including commute to and from Madison. You need to be careful!

I drive a Hyundai Elantra GT with 6 speed manual transmission and winter tires. Handles really well in the snow. I bought it used to keep costs down, but yes I still end up having a certain amount of repairs. Non gas costs are about $0.25/mile and gas is like $0.07 or $0.08 per mile. But I adjust up and down for city vs highway driving with my sophisticated spreadsheet. City driving is hell on a car.

Reactions: Syn

Syn

I know that you don't wanna hear this, but that's not a smart idea to use a leased car for ride sharing. You'll go over 1,000 miles easily. I do that many miles in less than a week - and I have a full time office job in addition to ride sharing. You would've been better of buying a smaller car (Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic) for the same monthly payment.
I don't think we have that many snow days that requires a 4x4 ...

My advice then is don't drive daily, but looks for days that pay better than normal - Summerfest, State Fair, Democrats Convention, Opening day in baseball, Brewers vs Cubs, Bucks playoffs ... that should keep miles down.

For ride sharing I drive a little 2015 Toyota Yaris. 141,000 trouble free miles. Oil changes, two sets of tires, 1 set of brakes and 1 transmission oil change. That's it.
I have few other cars (Toyota C-HR, Ford Mustang & F-150), but I wouldn't use them for ride sharing. Too many people will go through your car and they will destroy it, so a beater is what's ideal for ride sharing.

Syrenn97

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anything over 10 minutes away pays about $1 per minute over 10 minutes. So naturally I love 22 minute pickups because I get $12 just to drive to the pickup. This is true also if I have to cancel no show.

But I adjust up and down for city vs highway driving with my sophisticated spreadsheet.
Great, thanks so much for the long pickup info! Uber is stunningly lacking with training. If you hadn’t told me, how the hell would I have ever known that? (Or a ton of other stuff as well!?)

Yeah, it’s a bummer about the mileage limit. Especially since I use the car for other stuff too- I’ll realistically only be able to do Uber once or twice a week, depending on how it goes!

thanks for being so friendly & informative, I really appreciate it :smiles:

I know that you don't wanna hear this, but that's not a smart idea to use a leased car for ride sharing. You'll go over 1,000 miles easily. I do that many miles in less than a week - and I have a full time office job in addition to ride sharing. You would've been better of buying a smaller car (Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic) for the same monthly payment.

My advice then is don't drive daily, but looks for days that pay better than normal - Summerfest, State Fair, Democrats Convention, Opening day in baseball, Brewers vs Cubs, Bucks playoffs ... that should keep miles down.

For ride sharing I drive a little 2015 Toyota Yaris. 141,000 trouble free miles. Oil changes, two sets of tires, 1 set of brakes and 1 transmission oil change. That's it.
I have few other cars (Toyota C-HR, Ford Mustang & F-150), but I wouldn't use them for ride sharing. Too many people will go through your car and they will destroy it, so a beater is what's ideal for ride sharing.
Wooo, you have a lot of cars! That’s awesome!

you also seem to be somewhat of a workaholic! When’s the last time you took a vacation??😂

Oh I totally know I’m driving a stupid car for Ubering. I love the car and all, but would have made different plans if I knew ahead of time that I’d be freaking out and abandoning my career soon. Lol, whoops. I knew going in to this that I’d only be able to drive once a week (ish). Luckily, I have a couple other side hustles going on too- and am always looking for more!

That’s great advice about planning my Ubering around specific events beyond JUST summerfest and the convention. It’s one of those things that seems obvious when you say it, but honestly I don’t think I would have specifically thought to plan ahead like that. Now, thanks to you, I will! :wink:

I cannot wait for the convention! Hopefully we’ll all get rich! Plus, it should be interesting in general. I’ve already heard some stories revolving around convention-related people being in town for the pre planning. An Uber driver told my parents, while driving them to the airport, that officials from a certain campaign had recently been in his car and asked him if he would be their dedicated driver during the convention. He was excited at the prospect, and then horrified when they said “you’d be volunteering for X’s campaign- isn’t it exciting?!”

yeah, they apparently wanted him to drive them for free throughout the convention. It’s so asinine that it’s actually hard to believe!

Last edited:

Syn

Currently saving for a '49 Mercury Eight. Then a '68 Dodge Charger. After that I'll complete my bucket list and I can die.

you also seem to be somewhat of a workaholic! When’s the last time you took a vacation??😂
Somewhat an workaholic. 80-90 hours per week between 2 jobs. I go to Europe for a vacation every summer for 4 weeks.

That’s great advice about planning my Ubering around specific events beyond JUST summerfest and the convention. It’s one of those things that seems obvious when you say it, but honestly I don’t think I would have specifically thought to plan ahead like that. Now, thanks to you, I will! :wink:
We all learned by doing it. There are other festivals during the summer. Last week Sunday there was a national Marquette day, it was pretty busy. I keep a schedule of all Bucks, Brewers and Packers games in my office. Its not horribly busy during those times (unless Cubs are in town), but still a decent traffic.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter

I got to drive my wife's 5-speed Yaris hatchback Mon-Wed this week while my Elantra was getting a new clutch. Great little car, fun to drive and solid. I can't use it for RS though because it's a 2-door. Also luggage space is a joke, at least on the hatchback version. It's small enough on my Elantra that I often have to put luggage on the front seat (buckled in of course). I used to resist that kind of thing but I've succumbed now and I just put up with the scratches that luggage wheels/feet cause.

Great, thanks so much for the long pickup info! Uber is stunningly lacking with training. If you hadn’t told me, how the hell would I have ever known that? (Or a ton of other stuff as well!?)

Yeah, it’s a bummer about the mileage limit. Especially since I use the car for other stuff too- I’ll realistically only be able to do Uber once or twice a week, depending on how it goes!

thanks for being so friendly & informative, I really appreciate it :smiles:

Oh I totally know I’m driving a stupid car for Ubering. I love the car and all, but would have made different plans if I knew ahead of time that I’d be freaking out and abandoning my career soon. Lol, whoops. I knew going in to this that I’d only be able to drive once a week (ish). Luckily, I have a couple other side hustles going on too- and am always looking for more!

I cannot wait for the convention! Hopefully we’ll all get rich! Plus, it should be interesting in general. I’ve already heard some stories revolving around convention-related people being in town for the pre planning. An Uber driver told my parents, while driving them to the airport, that officials from a certain campaign had recently been in his car and asked him if he would be their dedicated driver during the convention. He was excited at the prospect, and then horrified when they said “you’d be volunteering for X’s campaign- isn’t it exciting?!”

yeah, they apparently wanted him to drive them for free throughout the convention. It’s so asinine that it’s actually hard to believe!
I'd love to abandon my career, as it's been stressful and disappointing/discouraging lately, but the problem is it pays well and I have mouths to feed for several years yet.

Cubs44

Not worth the risk in snowstorms, unless there is any kind of surge. If you can only do half the speed you normally do, without at least a $5 surge, then it's not worth getting into an accident. I am always very disapointed in how much customers DO NOT appreciate you driving in crappy weather by not tipping extra. If they don't tip cash in crappy weather, then they get a 1 star rating.

Syn

I got to drive my wife's 5-speed Yaris hatchback Mon-Wed this week while my Elantra was getting a new clutch. Great little car, fun to drive and solid. I can't use it for RS though because it's a 2-door. Also luggage space is a joke, at least on the hatchback version. It's small enough on my Elantra that I often have to put luggage on the front seat (buckled in of course). I used to resist that kind of thing but I've succumbed now and I just put up with the scratches that luggage wheels/feet cause.
I can fit one regular sized luggage in the trunk and then another one on the front seat. Anything more than that pax should be calling Uber XL. Every now and then I get requests from 4 people with 4 big pieces of luggage - for them I'll shuffle every time.

My car is at 141,000 miles right now, I really don't care much for it anymore, I'll drive it until it dies (or I die, whichever comes first - since its a Toyota it could be me lol).