1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Anxiety While Ubering

Discussion in 'Advice' started by PowersAssociates, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Well-Known Member

And I know, it is honestly hard for some folks to take responsibility for their own situation, but dang, vent in a manner that does not injure or eff with some one else's sandbox.

Purplestardust likes this.
  2. Danny3xd

Ayup, Goober. 4 or 5 minutes prep and good to go fer the day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gubber, odd question but you look like a guy I sailed with and his nickname was Gubber. You never sailed on the S/S Oceian Wizard, did ya? Med. and north Atlantic

3. Gubber Singh

Gubber Singh Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    No, dude. Wrong guy.

4. Purplestardust

Purplestardust Active Member

Hahahaha thanks Danny!
    I was in a car chase.... *sigh*

Danny3xd likes this.
  5. PowersAssociates

PowersAssociates Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    A car chase? You were involved in a car chase as an uber driver?

6. Purplestardust

Purplestardust Active Member

yup. I'm trying to shake it off as some kids playing a prank. Although the passenger was adamant they weren't.

7. Danny3xd

Dang StarDust, Ya gotta tell that story. Ya OK?

"QUICK! FOLLOW THAT UBER!!!!

Purplestardust likes this.
  8. Danny3xd

Bummer, Guber. He was, and hopfully stil, is a really interesting guy. He was from the really backwater swamps of the byoe, LA.

9. Trump Economics

Trump Economics Well-Known Member

Do you anxiety outside of Fuber? It could be a larger issue, but, if isolated, try this:

• Stop worrying about your rating. The reason it's in place is to mentally condition you and keep you in fear, but humans can't be quantified in stars. Further, your rating doesn't determine whether or not you get good paying calls or low paying calls. As long as you're not getting 1-star reviews every other ride, you're fine.
    • Always ask the passenger how their day is going. If they give a short answer, but don't ask how your day is going, leave them alone and stay quiet for the rest of the ride -- many of them don't want to be bothered. If they ask how your day is going, be brief, and if they continue asking questions or talking, then it's OK for you to continue talking.
    • Always ask passengers if they have a musical preference, and keep the music volume low.
    • Drive the speed limit, and ask them if they have a preferred route or navigational app.
    • Don't fret about making less than minimum wage -- you're in good company, and Fuber/Let-Down-Lyft are being sued left and right for it, so your day will come.
    • Be vigilant. If a passenger makes you feel unsafe, pull to a well-lit area and exit your vehicle.
    • Don't accept calls in bad neighborhoods, and if you have a drop-off in a bad neighborhood, turn your app off until you're back to safety.
    • Make sure your personal auto insurance coverage has coverage during Period 1/A.
    • Don't judge a passenger by their appearance in an attempt to gauge whether or not it will be a bad ride -- some of the oddest looking people will turn out to be the nicest passengers.
    :p

Danny3xd likes this.
  10. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

I had an anxious moment last week. I misinterpreted Google Maps, took the wrong freeway and ended up at the pick up location 5 minutes later. Basically went in a circle. One of the passengers was asking what in the world was going on. Another thing too, we were all chatting about things. When I talk, I tend to lose focus on where I'm driving.

UberAnt39 and Trump Economics like this.
  11. Danny3xd

Very well said, William. Thank you.

Trump Economics likes this.
  12. Danny3xd

I do that one a lot, DRider. lol. Thats when the passenger is watching the app and knows. I try to blame the app.

13. Trump Economics

Preach (everything you said was on point).

14. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

I get anxiety when it is surging like crazy. I have 2 phones, I have my main phone mounted in the middle and my second phone on the driver side vent. I monitor surge while I drive and pay attention to surge patterns in my area. So I figure out what time window I need to finish a trip in order to pick up a high surge as soon as I am done with my current ride. Sometimes I need to hurry up and maneuver through traffic efficiently to get that next good ride.

15. Trump Economics

If you use Google maps, you'll notice that the top portion of the app is gray, and that's because you can tap it (when it's green) and scroll "left," which allows you to see the turns in advance. When you're done, hit "resume" or scroll back to the right. Perhaps you knew this, but if not, get in the habit of scrolling one or two screens ahead when you're on the freeway, that way you know which exit/freeway to take. In my experience, the GPS can be off when you're on an overpass with multiple options/exits, so this helps. Also, if you miss the exit, apologize, blame it on the app, and tell the passenger you'll end their trip a little early for the inconvenience. Usually, $.50 off does it, or about 2 minutes early.

Attached Files:

16. Phillip Jones

Phillip Jones New Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Most of the anxiety has faded as I have gained experience driving for Uber. It still flares up on occasion when I realize I am taking the PAX to a sketch destination, or I'm taking them to downtown Dallas, which is the full length of the toll road starting 35 miles north of downtown Dallas, which means I have to pay the same tolls again just to return to my suburb.

I did have anxiety last night when the 2 drunk college guys I transported to their hotel were soooo drunk, they wouldn't get out of my vehicle.

Trump Economics likes this.
  17. PowersAssociates

Driving:
    UberXL
    I would never and neither should any driver ride with a PaX and end the trip early. You aren't covered by Uber's liability policy if you end the trip earthly and then get into a accident

Wow you are everything that is wrong with this forum, spreading bad information that could help end a careeer before it even begins

18. Trump Economics

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have around-the-clock insurance coverage (all drivers should have this based on their level of knowledge), so I'd be fully covered, even during Period 1/A. As far as Fuber's insurance goes, I'm smart enough to know that my personal auto insurance is better, and that there's a reason I was misclassified in the first place. Respectfully, telling anyone to rely on Fuber might be the biggest mistake of all :D

19. PowersAssociates

Driving:
    UberXL
    I 100% agree and I have around the clock coverage as well but telling people to turn the ride off early and then deliverthe PAX without mentioning your additional insurance is misleading albeit unintentional

20. ZREXMike

ZREXMike Member

Driving:
    UberX
    There's some slopes where you can hit 100+, engage the jake brake & bring it back down. Believe me, I've done it. The onboard CPU in the truck records your every move, the terminal mechanic knew exactly what I'd been up to, but he let it go. :)