1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Anti-Uber activist Russell Howarth ordered to pay $400,000 in legal costs

Discussion in 'News' started by KevinH, Jul 9, 2017.

1. KevinH

KevinH Well-Known Member

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/antiuber-activist-russell-howarth-ordered-to-pay-400000-in-legal-costs-20170709-gx7ivj.html
    Anti-Uber activist Russell Howarth ordered to pay $400,000 in legal costs
    The Sydney Morning News July 9, 2017 by Michaela Whitbourn

An anti-Uber activist who was slapped with a court order banning him from intimidating and harassing drivers has been ordered to pay almost $400,000 in legal costs, in the final chapter of a protracted court battle.

Russell Howarth, a self-proclaimed anti-Uber advocate who performed citizen's arrests in a campaign against the ride-sharing service, was permanently restrained by the Supreme Court in Aprilfrom threatening or harassing Uber drivers and users of the app.

Mr Howarth, an undischarged bankrupt, represented himself during the bulk of the proceedings while Uber was represented by three barristers including Sydney silk Bruce McClintock.

In a decision last week, Justice Michael Slattery ordered Mr Howarth to pay $391,152 in costs, representing about 60 per cent of Uber's total legal bill.

Justice Slattery said the barristers' fees alone were $433,564 and it was a "single strong indicator" that the amount sought by Uber was "not excessive".

The solicitors' fees were an additional $195,651 and other costs were just over $30,000.

Mr Howarth rose to prominence through a series of stunts starting in 2014 in which he would book an Uber ride and, when the transaction was complete, perform a citizen's arrest of the driver for breaching the state's Passenger Transport Act.

The law was subsequently changed in NSW in late 2015 to legalise Uber and other ride-sharing services.

In his judgment in April, Justice Slattery noted that "not every contravention of the law that a citizen witnesses will authorise the conduct of a citizen's arrest". . .

[ read the full article here ]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    ryan137 and tohunt4me like this.
  2. Taxi Driver in Arizona

Taxi Driver in Arizona Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    That guy was an active poster here a few years ago, If I remember correctly.

Ben Hall likes this.
  3. ylneo

ylneo Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    wow

4. Lag Monkey

Lag Monkey Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Looks like America isn’t the only country that allows someone to be sued into the next glaxay. Lawyers are almost as bad as politicians!

whitefalcon and tohunt4me like this.
  5. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Damn Russell only needs to encompass the globe 16 times with an Uber pax to pay for his legal costs.

6. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And it makes littel sense to me. I mean, if I go out and "arrest" people, and follow and harrass them, I assume I'd just be arrested. Why does Uber spend half a million to sue him? Then again, I thought arrest meant to force a person into custody and the story, assumedly written by a human that knows everyone is thinking "what do u mean he arrested the drivers", did not explain.

Elmo Burrito and tohunt4me like this.
  7. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    OK, even as an admitted shill

this guy went WAY overboard...d

MoreTips and tohunt4me like this.
  8. 7Miles

7Miles Well-Known Member

9. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI

FIFY

This guy has filed for bankruptcy before the trial even began. Uber plans to get its money how___________________________?

Yam Digger and tohunt4me like this.
  10. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    by letting him 'drive it off' ?

11. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    They might have to have him do it on Uber Black. If he tries to do it on X, he might be finished by 2125.

12. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

That should adjust his attitude.
    Pay up Russel !

Its a wonder no one " accidentally" backed over him.

23 times.
    Uber gets 25%

MyPerspective and SEAL Team 5 like this.
  13. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    That would be the ultimate solution...

Order him to drive Uber X...

For a couple of years...

Turn about IS fair play...8)

Rakos

14. uber fool

uber fool Well-Known Member

I would of love to run into this moron I would have elbowed him in the throat

Oh-Lord and MoreTips like this.
  15. UberLaLa

UberLaLa Well-Known Member

The really nice thing about both the U.K. and Australia, they both hold the Losing Party responsible for the Winning Party's legal expenses. Cuts way down on frivolous law suits. ;)

Yam Digger, Trafficat and Tysmith95 like this.
  16. Blatherskite

Blatherskite Member

If he filed before the trial, then he's out of luck listing anyone new as a creditor, including anyone he's fighting in court.

17. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    They might never get it. But they just made sure he never will have money

18. Ca$h4

Ca$h4 Well-Known Member

19. UberSolo

UberSolo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberPREMIUM
    Courts are sending a message Never show up in a courtroom without competent representation.
    Howarth choices are, BK or to go deeper into the situation and continue the fight, eat a gun or move to Albania

MoreTips likes this.
  20. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Bankruptcy only discharges old debt, not new debt