Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant with 4 mouths to feed goes from $658 to $58 per week after supplement expired

Pay 
3K views 58 replies 26 participants last post by  IthurstwhenIP 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yeah well Sandra Bivin should be happy though that Denver along with CO leaders who locked the city/county/state down along with those in congress who went to one of their very expensive homes will be just fine. Maybe Hollywood can step up? Oh wait that's their money and virtual signaling they care while wearing a mask is good enough.

#10 ·
#3 ·
She also worked part time accounting.

just goes to show most of the wages are not up to par with growth of assets (real estate and stocks) since 2008.

by 2009 the market was on its way to what analysts called in 2019 a ten year bull run.

people living paycheck to paycheck stretched to having to work jobs like Uber/Lyft to make ends meet?

there is something inherently wrong with the way this system runs.

I’m not in accounting but I like things to add up. How does doling our all the crap (including the little things like a $5 Starbucks coffee or $10 Philz coffee) to people who on average, make $50-60k per person gross??

we’re looking at this all wrong.

pandemic sucks. Couldn’t control that.

the lack of savings people have? Controllable.

clearly the outputs we expect people to be picking up doesn’t support the wages we dole out. And, thus credit is greatly accelerated and things like layaways for a $50 shirt at urban outfitters brought back.

#14 ·
She also worked part time accounting.

just goes to show most of the wages are not up to par with growth of assets (real estate and stocks) since 2008.

by 2009 the market was on its way to what analysts called in 2019 a ten year bull run.

people living paycheck to paycheck stretched to having to work jobs like Uber/Lyft to make ends meet?

there is something inherently wrong with the way this system runs.

I'm not in accounting but I like things to add up. How does doling our all the crap (including the little things like a $5 Starbucks coffee or $10 Philz coffee) to people who on average, make $50-60k per person gross??

we're looking at this all wrong.

pandemic sucks. Couldn't control that.

the lack of savings people have? Controllable.

clearly the outputs we expect people to be picking up doesn't support the wages we dole out. And, thus credit is greatly accelerated and things like layaways for a $50 shirt at urban outfitters brought back.
People never talk about inflation any more. When I was a much younger man, it was a point of discussion often. We have been in an aggressive inflatory period for the last 13 years, and it is only going to get steeper as we move forward

Even Warren Buffet is buying gold.

#11 ·
If 2020 has taught us anything, it should have been something we should have known all along. You can only depend on yourself, not anyone else, much less the government. Be self-reliant.

#22 ·
I don't understand the $600 being too much money 🤷🏻‍♂ Wasn't that whole point ??? To pay you enough that you would be willing to stay home and not spread the super deadly virus 🦠????? Now we realize the virus is weak AF and so the narrative switches to lazy outcasts not willing to work.

I stayed home and took the money because $750 was what I averaged every week on Lyft. Take away what I spend on gas and maintenance , it was a no brainer...stay home and stop the spread.

I always knew I'd be going back to gig work when things mellowed out. I saved close to 10k. I'm currently awaiting the final stimulus and then I will start back up with deliveries. Just saving the miles on my car while I can . I put 60K miles on my newer car doing lyft in less than 18 months. It was a rip off .

I was done with rideshare once the masks were required. I cancelled my commercial insurance and here we are ... a week later it's all shutting down anyway. I'm as concerned as all of you! Uber bought Postmates so you know that app will get worse. It's not looking good.
The $600 just came about because so many states have ancient computer systems and couldn't handle varying the extra money for each applicant. But yeah, the whole point of the extra money was to cover your lost income so that you would stay home. I think that now 5 months in, where we all have access to masks etc, there is a difference between not having job to go back to yet, and just deciding to stay home because you can. Example: If the $600 came back, I could as an Uber driver just decide to stay home again, but there's no need for me to actually stay home - there's plenty of trips available in my market. And at what point do you tell people to accept that their former job is gone and that they just need to go get a new one?

GOOD TO HEAR FROM THE INCEL MOVEMENT

Call me in twenty years when you see you first Vagi na,
I really don't understand the Incels, lol. Have you looked around and seen the types of people that have found partners?? There's literally someone out there for anyone. Especially with all the dating apps. If you can't find someone, it's definitely YOU.

#23 ·
The $600 just came about because so many states have ancient computer systems and couldn't handle varying the extra money for each applicant. But yeah, the whole point of the extra money was to cover your lost income so that you would stay home. I think that now 5 months in, where we all have access to masks etc, there is a difference between not having job to go back to yet, and just deciding to stay home because you can. Example: If the $600 came back, I could as an Uber driver just decide to stay home again, but there's no need for me to actually stay home - there's plenty of trips available in my market. And at what point do you tell people to accept that their former job is gone and that they just need to go get a new one?

I really don't understand the Incels, lol. Have you looked around and seen the types of people that have found partners?? There's literally someone out there for anyone. Especially with all the dating apps. If you can't find someone, it's definitely YOU.
But there aren't enough jobs to go around because we didn't take care of the virus. That made this job losses permanent. People shouldn't have to starve until they're able to find something else. If Congress was really serious about making sure people could work, they would handle the virus and invest in programs where people can retrain and reskill. But they rather give corporations welfare benefits so here we are.

#28 ·
Sometimes these things are out of our control. I'm 54, and have been in IT most of my life. I worked for one company which went bankrupt about 4 years ago. In the area I live, ERP Business Analyst jobs (my position for the past 15 or so years) are very hard to come by for some reasons. When that company went bankrupt, it was sold in auction, and I was let go. It took me 6 months to find a job making $12,000 a year less than I made previously. That's how I got into rideshare, as I needed to do something to supplement what I had. But the new company was growing, opening new locations, it seemed like a solid job. And I could rideshare on weekends, which made up most of the difference.

Fast forward to the virus hitting. I had to stop rideshare as I have some of the higher risk factors (age, weight, etc.) and my wife does not have a good immune system and has other health issues. As the most recent company was an automotive supplier, when the auto plants shut down, so did we. All three of my primary locations, two in TN and one in FL, were closed. Because of this, I was laid off for 5 out of 6 weeks. When we came back, I started going into the plant again. I did that for a month, but then they announced closing one of the TN locations. After that was announced, they decided they did not need someone in this area any longer (one of 3 locations that they have or are in the process of closing), and I was permanently let go.

Yes, I'm sure I could go work fast food or retail. That's going to pay nowhere near where it needs to pay, unless I was to get into management (I did assistant manage a fast food restaurant for 3 years when we first moved here, after I lost my airline job following 9/11). Every job I apply to seems to have over 100 applicants, some as many as 500 or more.

So, how is any of this my fault? Because I wasn't good enough to make them keep me on? I don't know why, I was getting things done when I was there, so I don't believe it was performance based that got me let go. I can't fall back on rideshare as I did before, as we still have 1500 - 2200 new cases daily statewide, most in the metro areas where I would need to go to do rideshare reasonably.

#35 · (Edited)
^^^

True 'dat :p Being able to have real "**** you money" in the bank is a thing of beauty.

It takes time, but once you get the first $100K you're really all set. People cannot focus on this, nor do they want to because it doesn't look good when they are out clubbing with their friends who are covered in designer fashions and handbags whlle swilling Christal via bottle service, and they're drinking soda water dressed with George from WalMart.

I've walked out on a couple of 6 figure jobs in my time, after they continually suggested we compromise our integrity, etc, things like that, or just in general suddenly started treating us like crap, or hired a real moron for a manager.

One time I picked up my final paycheque from this place on a super hot summer Friday afternoon. Pulled up in my red Ferrari 355 spider and parked it right in front of the main doors without regard for their no parking signs. This was back when I smoked too. Lit up a stinky French Gitanes right in their office before I left just to be a jerk. They had no idea I had this car, let alone anything else, it's just the way I am.

#36 ·
You don't need to brag about what you have and what's expensive is relative. I find it funny when pple try to say x is expensive but I have x because it's worth it. insecurity.

I've shut up about what things cost when pple ask. But they can google (for the curious catties).

I think the ability to get more money > money you have, though saving is important. And everyone gotta start somewhere. Any little bit helps and it all adds up.

They had no idea I had this car, let alone anything else,
👍🏻👍🏻

im almost like this except I'm the kind that would wear a mermaid cdg skirt when I want to because I feel like it... and I'll probably wear it often because I don't believe in letting things collect dust. Things are meant to be enjoyed/used.

my friend has a Chanel bag that she brought (her husband actually, but retail) out ONCE. If I actually dropped that much $$$ on a bag I'd wear the heck out of it. Chanel employees get 50% off so it's hard for me to pay retail but regardless, I will wear the heck out of whatever I buy, regardless of whether it's from forever 21 or Netaporter.

Reactions: ANT 7
#37 ·
Here's my 2 cents, since you are looking for free money.

You had 4 months to learn an online skill. If you keep complaining, you are never going to get ahead in life.

You will just get Darwin'd eventually, sitting at home making free money with the taxes that others pay once Covid is gone. There will be too many skilled people in the market that will get jobs eventually, while you keep driving around people to Subway and Taco Bell. Most companies will adopt the remote model, people will need lesser rides than before.

#38 ·
being broke is self-made. rent is not a problem, your mind is.. For rent, you can share a room full of bunkbed with other people for cheap rent.

if you mortgage a house always rent all your rooms to other people while you live the living room..

doing this in the course of your lifetime, you can save massive amount of money.. the never broke theory

#40 ·
How the hell is she getting only $58 a month?? Somethings wrong there. Plus who has 3 kids on a rideshare drivers salary??? Mistakes were made there.... I get the max $430 a month ($357 after taxes) and I'm single with no kids... wow
This is how I feel when I see that (race to not be named) lady standing near Bart station with two little kids and an infant in toll, panhandling-especially when there are programs above the usual-like WIC.

I feel bad for the kids, forced to be on the streets "begging" and learning how to "hustle" from their mom.

#43 ·
I don't understand the $600 being too much money 🤷🏻‍♂ Wasn't that whole point ??? To pay you enough that you would be willing to stay home and not spread the super deadly virus 🦠????? Now we realize the virus is weak AF and so the narrative switches to lazy outcasts not willing to work.

I stayed home and took the money because $750 was what I averaged every week on Lyft. Take away what I spend on gas and maintenance , it was a no brainer...stay home and stop the spread.

I always knew I'd be going back to gig work when things mellowed out. I saved close to 10k. I'm currently awaiting the final stimulus and then I will start back up with deliveries. Just saving the miles on my car while I can . I put 60K miles on my newer car doing lyft in less than 18 months. It was a rip off .

I was done with rideshare once the masks were required. I cancelled my commercial insurance and here we are ... a week later it's all shutting down anyway. I'm as concerned as all of you! Uber bought Postmates so you know that app will get worse. It's not looking good.
For a lot of people, 600/week is more than they usually take home. So the ones that were called back didn't want to go back, and the ones that weren't, are not motivated to work for less money than staying home. I have a neighbor in this sit. Her place of work didn't call everyone back. She could get another job, but no reason to if she is getting paid more to do nothing.

These articles are always dripping with people that made bad decisions in life. "Single mother of three" "grandmother with sole custody of 11 year old" etc etc.

Some people just make awful choices, and then wonder why they land in the position they are in.
Her husband could have died. Why assume bad choices?

#46 ·
For a lot of people, 600/week is more than they usually take home. So the ones that were called back didn't want to go back, and the ones that weren't, are not motivated to work for less money than staying home. I have a neighbor in this sit. Her place of work didn't call everyone back. She could get another job, but no reason to if she is getting paid more to do nothing.

Her husband could have died. Why assume bad choices?
The $600 made sense in California and NY where the cost of living is out of control. The other states could of been given less .

#59 ·
send the 600 to africa...they really need it. in the end to give you need to take. everyone wants to take. usa is top 25% of world so lets just send our money to the 3rd world for social justice...same logic....just watch all the whinning takers on this thread flip if they have to become givers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.