Ant vs Tool

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
So on monday a cyclist got clipped by an Uber driver on Dexter Ave. The Uber driver kept going a bit til he pulled over and let out his pax. The pax walked away and went on with their life. The cyclist rushed up to the Uber driver and it became a "Show me your ID!" dude-fest. The cyclist says he has the right to see the uber drivers ID, but refused to show his ID to the driver. Why? Cuz he says he shouldn't have too. So the Uber driver says, "Fine! See ya!" and leaves. The Tool cyclist gets the license plate turns it in to Uber, and Uber confirmed that the driver was on a trip in that area. According to KOMO News Ubers statement to the press is, " That driver is currently not driving."

http://komonews.com/news/local/seat...-injury-after-being-sideswiped-by-uber-driver

Now I read the story and part of it sounds like he ( the tool cyclist) was making it up or exaggerating what really happened:

Niemeyer said he was riding to work near the 1100 block of Dexter Avenue when the Uber driver sideswiped the back of his bike and caught his bag, dragging it underneath the car. Niemeyer, however, was able to stay upright and was not hurt.

"I screamed, got out of the way as much as I could," Niemeyer said. "The driver trailed behind me and did stop then. He had two passengers in the car and they eventually got out and left."

Anyways........the war of cyclists vs rideshare wages on.

Oh and get this, in SF, lawyers are telling cyclists how they can successfully sue rideshare drivers. I'm sure Seattle, with it's SF- like cycle friendly environment, will follow suit shortly thereafter.

https://bayareabicyclelaw.com/bike-accident-advice-uber-driver-hits-cyclist/

Travis Bickle Uber

Not sure about this specific incident but I see uber drivers driving in the bike lane on dexter to get past stopped traffic to pick up PAX at the Facebook building (also address of where this took place) every single day. Doesn't surprise me someone finally hit someone.

dimwit_driver

Yeah, I saw that, too. You wanna know why it made the news at all? Cuz the lame ass whiny entitled bicyclist called KOMO and made a stink.

I don't know the real story behind this incident, since the only account we have is from the whiny entitled bicyclist, but when I heard it I have to admit I had a fleeting feeling of glee for the driver that clipped him. I freaking hate bikers.

The city has aggravated the problem. There are not enough load zones. When there are load zones you will have to cross the bike lane to get to it. And what did that bike lane used to be? Oh, yeah, a lane for cars. So, if you're lucky, there's a load zone (which may already be full of cars), a bike lane, and a single lane for traffic. There is probably heavy traffic in said lane, since it's now carrying twice+ the load (since the road lost one for the bike lane), not to mention the additional traffic that just is now. And the rider expect you to pick him/her up right there. This is a recipe for disaster. If you try and pull out of traffic, you're in the bike lane.

DexNex

Dashcam, dashcam, dashcam. Police should have been called immediately. Driver should not have left the scene.

Always let the other party talk first. Don’t correct them. Sometimes they will lie or embellish. If you have the incident recorded via dashcam you are letting the other party possibly destroy their own credibility.

DexNex

Dashcam, dashcam, dashcam. Police should have been called immediately. Driver should not have left the scene.

Always let the other party talk first. Don’t correct them. Sometimes they will lie or embellish. If you have the incident recorded via dashcam you are letting the other party possibly destroy their own credibility.

Also isn’t that right where the bicycles have to merge over into the traffic lane due to construction and closure of the bike lane? I wonder if the cyclist yielded as he re-entered the lane of traffic.

Travis Bickle Uber

Also isn’t that right where the bicycles have to merge over into the traffic lane due to construction and closure of the bike lane? I wonder if the cyclist yielded as he re-entered the lane of traffic.

That merge point is about 2.5 blocks behind where the incident happened. 1.5 blocks behind is where the bikers merge back in to the bike lane. And that 1.5 block stretch is where i often see uber drivers riding in the bike lane to get to their PAX 1 minute sooner.

Surgeless in Seattle

Okay... I want to raise a stink!!! I was attacked by a bicyclist. A bicyclist ran a red (imagine that!) and nailed me, indenting my door panel. He then started screaming at me and beating my car with his bike. THAT was the bad dent.

My pax was here from Atlanta interviewing at Google. She was in shock as bad as me. Apparently there isn't a strong bicycle culture in Atlanta... speaking of... GOOD RIDDANCE Mayor Murray!

Guy rode off. Cop sat across the street watching the whole thing. Big indent popped out, the crease/groove from his bike basket did not.

Think KOMO wants to run this one?

mark_mark

Okay... I want to raise a stink!!! I was attacked by a bicyclist. A bicyclist ran a red (imagine that!) and nailed me, indenting my door panel. He then started screaming at me and beating my car with his bike. THAT was the bad dent.

My pax was here from Atlanta interviewing at Google. She was in shock as bad as me. Apparently there isn't a strong bicycle culture in Atlanta... speaking of... GOOD RIDDANCE Mayor Murray!

Guy rode off. Cop sat across the street watching the whole thing. Big indent popped out, the crease/groove from his bike basket did not.

I would have kicked his ass

Last edited:

freddieman

Didn't u mention u had bear mace? .....I think bear mace is in order here.

Ballard_Driver

I hate cyclists and other boober drivers.

THIS.

But seriously, first thing I thought reading this story was that the bicyclist probably did something stupid to cause it, then got pissed about it like all those whiny @@@@@@ bags do. Most of the time with cars when people do something stupid to cause a situation they get a guilty "I screwed up" look on their face. Bicyclists usually get angry at you for their mistakes. It's unbelievable.

I had these guys riding down a side street in Ballard a month or so back that made me FUMING mad. Older man and woman were riding along slow as shit, in their tool special clothing etc. I pulled up behind them at a very conservative speed, not being aggressive at all. It was a narrow street where only one car can actively drive by because of all the parked cars and roundabouts at the end of most blocks, they were driving more or less smack dab in the middle. Annoying, but it happens right?

There were cars on the side in most places, but I figured they would pull over into one of the empty spots to let me pass. They slowly rode past a couple spots, but they weren't huge. I figured "Maybe they're waiting for long enough to really let me get up to speed and pass. This is at maybe a full block of being behind them. They coast through a round about. They pass several more gaps where they could have politely ridden towards the curb for a minute to let me pass. I'm now irritated because I realize they're the kind of @@@@@@@ bike riders everybody hates. They go through another roundabout. More huge gaps. Me being politely behind them now for blocks.

Finally there is a GIGANTIC gap of cars on the right. I figure even these @@@@@@@@ will pull over and let me pass here... NOT SO. So I say @@@@ it and give it some gas and make it clear I am going to pass them. The man looks all shocked and bewildered as I'm getting closer and pulling as far to the left to get around them as I can, then ANGRY that I would dare try to get around these two heroic bikers. He begins to falter and almost falls over on the bike, on totally flat and perfect ground I might add, by the sheer shock of me attempting to pass. They actually pull over A TINY BIT to the right, just enough for me to squeeze by, and cuss at me and shake their fists while I pass them. I shouted some obscenity I don't remember and gunned it to put distance between us.

And all this because they were too inconsiderate to simply scoot their bikes over 2 or 3 feet in the gaps on the right so I could pass. I REALLY wish that guy would have ate shit and hurt himself. People like that deserve it. I ALWAYS go into situations with bikers being nice and assuming they will be decent. I don't do dickish things when they're considerate... But sometimes I have to @@@@ with them a little bit. I should have laid on the horn for these turds, maybe that would have been enough to make him tip over.

dimwit_driver

Pretty sure bikers are aholes everyplace, not just Seattle. I think it's part of the biker DNA. I've been in Ballard_Driver's situation multiple times. What I especially hate is when they sort of s-weave back and forth through a lane so that there is virtually no way you can pass them, even if there would be room to do so. I think the goal of a number of these idiots is speed limits lowered even more, to the speed of a bicycle (except for when they go downhill; then there is no speed limit). And they hate cars, especially Ubers (except for when they want one, and you damn well better stop in front of the exact spot they're standing).

The other group that I hate just as much as bikers, and that I haven't seen mentioned on this forum (yet), are skateboarders. Lately I've noticed an uptick in the number of these Darwin Awards candidates skateboarding down streets in all sorts of dangerous manners (although that last bit is redundant).

heynow321

have bikers always been aholes in Seattle? or just the new crops of Comifornia tight outfit tools?

nah, seattle bikers have always been pricks, especially on the east side but adding californians to their numbers is just amplifying it.

Travis Bickle Uber

have bikers always been aholes in Seattle? or just the new crops of Comifornia tight outfit tools?

Research Cascadia bike club.

McGinn was the Mayor who was huge into biking he is part of Cascadia but I agree with the GOOD RIDDANCE sentiment on Murray!!