1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Another wrong turn...another shite ride

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by Fisherman2018, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Fisherman2018

Fisherman2018

Driving:
    UberX
    First post on here so go easy on me guys..

I'm finding Waze sending me in the wrong direction at times and um ending up in some terrible situations especially in the city.

Last night I ended up going over the bridge by mistake. I ended the trip so the Pax Didnt have to foot the bill but eventually got them to the the spot.

Do you guys suggest I use google maps or the generic maps when doing the city?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. dms

dms

What was the destination?

3. TONY-T

TONY-T

Driving:
    UberX
    Were you going to the Opera House? If so it's a google and waze maps error. For some reason it sends you over the bridge if you are on the south side.

JCS26 and Who is John Galt? like this.
  4. evil

evil

I ALWAYS use Waze and never failed me. You mustn't read the directions properly.

5. JCS26

JCS26

Yup the problem is Uber sends coordinates on the GPS app and not the actual address

Fisherman2018 and TONY-T like this.
  6. Mulder99

Mulder99

Driving:
    UberX
    This

TONY-T likes this.
  7. Fisherman2018

Fisherman2018

Driving:
    UberX
    The rocks but had to go to the destination from kings cross. The Pax were fine with it because they seen the GPS tell me to follow the instructions.

Same but only when I get to the rocks/opera house section for some reason I end up in trouble. Doesnt always happen but twice now.

8. Leroy B

Leroy B

Driving:
    UberX
    In the City it really helps to know your way around as the GPS will often not be accurate due to the buildings. Also with Vivid and all the construction the Ride share apps and GPS apps will often send you wrong way or blocked street. Waze is good as it learns many short cuts but riders often think it's taking a longer route. I'm so happy when a rider suggests a route at start of trip so then no argument.

Fisherman2018 and the_crob like this.
  9. Fisherman2018

Fisherman2018

Driving:
    UberX
    I know the city very well.. just always get worried that if I dont follow the GPS and make a wrong turn the pax will get the ****s.

But agree its good when they decide to navigate for you especially when it's only my 3rd week in.

Leroy B likes this.
  10. Sydney Uber

Sydney Uber

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Point out to them that for some reason, the UBER App has facilitated extra time that your two paths will run in synch. Engage them in a deep and meaningful conversation, and thank them for the best ride you'e ever enjoyed.

Fisherman2018 likes this.
  11. Waingro

Waingro

Driving:
    UberX
    Fishie do yourself a favour.
    Stick with Google Maps
    I have used all the maps and they all have the pros and cons. I like the Waze format however the Google maps is being updated more than any other app.
    Also you will notice a greyed out track that will show you another way
    eg: PAX do you want to go via X street or Y street. The pax will really be impressed with your knowledge.

12. rideshare_ola_tf

rideshare_ola_tf

Driving:
    UberX
    Google map with IPhone is the best. I tired Android phones(Samsung s6 edge, Samsung Note 3. not sure other phones), it take few second to decide which way to go, sometimes you have to drive few meters to see the way. But in IPhone, it straight tells you where to go.

13. the_crob

the_crob

have less issues with waze than google maps, that said in the CBD it best to know where your going and use your instincts, my issues in the CBD have always been from unseeing the GPS than my instincts

Leroy B and Fisherman2018 like this.
  14. Timothy68

Timothy68

Google map is more reliable than others.
    GPS in the cbd (especially near the rock and Opera House) doesn't really work.
    I always tell and explain in advanced to the paxs, why I don't follow the GPS in the city.
    Most of them will understand and I got so many Expert Navigation as compliment at the end :)

15. Fisherman2018

Fisherman2018

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah I I'll try google maps from now and on only because of the point that they would update it more often.

Thanks Tim and everyone for the advice.

16. Icecool

Icecool

No problem with me . Waze not best but dose the job google dosen't even work in the CBD . If the pax have set the destination correctly it will send you down till the end of macquarie street , it even send you to he pick up and drop off zone next to the opera house . Google will just gose around in circles . Just curious if you know where the opera house is shouldn't you just head toward Macquarire street no matter what the GPS tell you .

17. UberRambo

UberRambo

As you are still new to driving for Uber the learning curve is steep.

I’m sure you know how to go from Kings Cross to the rocks.. My advice would be to not blindly follow the GPS as it is often wrong.

Whenever you get a trip to the city I wouldn’t take much notice of the map. As the city is so congested now with traffic and roadworks, there are only a few main roads that can actually get you around.

I myself find Waze the best for shortcuts/ getting around traffic.

Good luck.

Ausois likes this.
  18. JCS26

JCS26

It is a best practice also to review your GPS app route before or during the trip so you will have a good idea if it’s right or wrong, sometimes I check for the list of the last street turn then compare this to the pax destination address

Leroy B and Fisherman2018 like this.
  19. Hounddub

Hounddub

Sounds like you didn't take the city north exit at the roundabout on Sir John Young Cresc in Wooloomooloo. Regardless of what the GPs says...good city knowledge and you would know that taking the right lane will only take you into the north bound lanes.

You won't do that again.

Syd drv, Slazenger and Fisherman2018 like this.
  20. Fisherman2018

Fisherman2018

Driving:
    UberX
    You nailed it mate.. I took a right instead of left.
    I got very lucky with the Pax they were very cool about it. The trip only cost them 10 and they got to see vivid from a great spot... the bridge and back

Slazenger likes this.