Another Driver Thrown Under the Bus by Uber...

Yankee

I'll start by saying I screwed myself by not following the "letter of the law" here, but Uber's CSR response was downright demoralizing. Scenario: got a ping to pick up a pax at a hotel downtown exactly at 6 p.m. when the city is starting to surge. I arrive exactly as advertised, but he's not ready. I call after about 3 min, he asks me to "wait". Its a pressure situation because the hotel staff won't let me sit there, so I have to keep circling back into traffic, and then re-entering the loop. I give him about 5 more min, then call him. He tells me he's looking for his bag, and "I'll be down in 5 min." I advise him that I would need to start the meter. He hangs up without saying "yes" or "no", but screw it, who's gonna wait 10 min without getting paid, especially at that hour. 5 min pass, he doesn't show. I keep circling around. Finally, after 10 min, I call him to let him know, he's gotta come down or I have to go, but now the fkg pax doesn't pick up the phone. I ended the ride. It was a 15 min wait, for which he was charged approx 7 min. As I am driving away, he comes running up, and I tell him I ended it, to which he replies "I appreciate it".

Here's where it gets juicy. I notice this a.m that I had a 4.1 rating for the night, so someone dinged me pretty good. I look at my fare history, and notice this pax fare had been wiped clean. No charge for him after he complains. However my 1 Star remains intact. I write in to CSR and tell them what happened, asking for at the least a $5 cancellation to cover my time and gas, as well as to wipe out the 1 star. All day long I go back and forth with this Company Man quoting all these policies. To paraphrase, the response was "Tough shit, its your problem. You did it wrong so eat it." I remind him, I'm one of the good guys out there busting my ass to make Uber rich, representing the company and doing my best to provide quality service. No matter. Back and forth we went, me advocating at the least to erase the rating, to which I get the company line about how "Allowing our riders and partners to rate each other ensures the high quality that our partners and riders expect." I'm pretty sure I put myself at risk at that point by giving them such an earful about employee morale and the sham of the rating system, etc. But that to me is the epitome of how Uber disregards the concerns of its drivers. Now I know what to expect should something BIG ever happen." Just a bunch of b.s. And THIS is why so many drivers HATE Uber.

Yankee

P.S. At no point EVER did anyone from Uber contact me before erasing this fare from my history. They simply took his word for it, wiped the fare clean, and left me with a 1 star rating to figure out what happened on my own. Beautiful. Customer service at its best.

elelegido

You're totally right about wanting to be paid to wait and not have @@@@@@ pax disrespect you and your time. BUT... this was a newbie error on your part. Your ability to press the cancel button is your only control over whether or not a pax gets to rate you. Never start the trip until you have met the pax in person and are able to judge whether or not they meet your minimum acceptance criteria for you giving them a ride. If you do start the trip blind, then you lose the right to cancel, the $5 cancellation fee and, on top of that, you give a disgruntled pax the right to rate you.

In any case, the seven minute fare you may have got for this ride if he hadn't complained would have been no more than the cancelation fee.

Yankee

You should have kept in mind your avatar!
You lose! You deserve it!
Uber Off, first of all, yeah, I made a mistake. But don't give me shit about what I deserve. We deal with hard situations out here to make uber UNRRR rich. What I "desreve" is to get paid for my @@@@ing time. What we "deserve" is back up and support from Uber when things get dicey. And that's just for starters.

UberCbus

Rule #1

dont EVER start the trip if the Pax is not actually IN the car

Rule #2

if you wait more than 5 minutes, you have chosen to accept the consequences, so swallow your pride and go get another ping

Rule #3

dont EVER let food or drink in your car, ever

Rule #4

Never more Pax than seatbelts

Rule #5

Dont EVER give out your private number

Yankee

You're totally right about wanting to be paid to wait and not have @@@@@@ pax disrespect you and your time. BUT... this was a newbie error on your part. Your ability to press the cancel button is your only control over whether or not a pax gets to rate you. Never start the trip until you have met the pax in person and are able to judge whether or not they meet your minimum acceptance criteria for you giving them a ride. If you do start the trip blind, then you lose the right to cancel, the $5 cancellation fee and, on top of that, you give a disgruntled pax the right to rate you.

In any case, the seven minute fare you may have got for this ride if he hadn't complained would have been no more than the cancelation fee.
Totally.

Teksaz

I'm new and I've already decided I ain't playing with these fools. I had an issue with this drunk chick that gave me the wrong address and canceled and then requested another trip during surge. It was a mess so I decided to send CS several screen shots of the trip or trips, that can be found on partners.uber.com along with a detailed explanation of what happened and they sorted it all out in my favor, if you can believe that. Don't settle until your happy or you get your money. I doubt the rating would ever change in OUR, the drivers, favor. Uber On lol

OCBob

Uber Off, first of all, yeah, I made a mistake. But don't give me shit about what I deserve. We deal with hard situations out here to make uber UNRRR rich. What I "desreve" is to get paid for my @@@@ing time. What we "deserve" is back up and support from Uber when things get dicey. And that's just for starters.
That is not going to happen. Even after telling drivers to not start rides I then did it because I was pissed off at the PAX for dropping the pin 1/2 mile away then I arrived after starting the trip at pin and she demands I take 5 passengers. I get screwed on pay and get a 1 star rating and while I deserved better, I @@@@ed up and get the consequences. Uber doesn't care enough about you and this person. They could easily see he made you wait. My question is "Why would you not cancel after 5 minutes knowing it is now surging?" That is on you for not being smart. This happened to me last week and I waited at ping and cancelled at 5 minutes knowing it was surging and drunk made me drive for 10 minutes to wrong spot. Ended up getting a good ping at 2.1X that would not have come if I took dumb drunks home at $.90 a mile.

LEARN FROM IT!

CityGirl

The only thing I don't like is that they adjust without even so much as a memo letting us know. It's up to us to catch it.

Other than that, you have to really learn to let go and don't wait for them. The only time I wait is for a surge, and then, within reason. I hit arrive, I start the stopwatch. I am nice, I do call them about 3 minutes in if I don't see them, just to make sure I'm in the right spot where they think they sent me. Then at 5 minutes, I cancel. You have to do this to protect yourself from being taken advantage of.

Uber-Doober

I'll start by saying I screwed myself by not following the "letter of the law" here, but Uber's CSR response was downright demoralizing. Scenario: got a ping to pick up a pax at a hotel downtown exactly at 6 p.m. when the city is starting to surge. I arrive exactly as advertised, but he's not ready. I call after about 3 min, he asks me to "wait". Its a pressure situation because the hotel staff won't let me sit there, so I have to keep circling back into traffic, and then re-entering the loop. I give him about 5 more min, then call him. He tells me he's looking for his bag, and "I'll be down in 5 min." I advise him that I would need to start the meter. He hangs up without saying "yes" or "no", but screw it, who's gonna wait 10 min without getting paid, especially at that hour. 5 min pass, he doesn't show. I keep circling around. Finally, after 10 min, I call him to let him know, he's gotta come down or I have to go, but now the fkg pax doesn't pick up the phone. I ended the ride. It was a 15 min wait, for which he was charged approx 7 min. As I am driving away, he comes running up, and I tell him I ended it, to which he replies "I appreciate it".

Here's where it gets juicy. I notice this a.m that I had a 4.1 rating for the night, so someone dinged me pretty good. I look at my fare history, and notice this pax fare had been wiped clean. No charge for him after he complains. However my 1 Star remains intact. I write in to CSR and tell them what happened, asking for at the least a $5 cancellation to cover my time and gas, as well as to wipe out the 1 star. All day long I go back and forth with this Company Man quoting all these policies. To paraphrase, the response was "Tough shit, its your problem. You did it wrong so eat it." I remind him, I'm one of the good guys out there busting my ass to make Uber rich, representing the company and doing my best to provide quality service. No matter. Back and forth we went, me advocating at the least to erase the rating, to which I get the company line about how "Allowing our riders and partners to rate each other ensures the high quality that our partners and riders expect." I'm pretty sure I put myself at risk at that point by giving them such an earful about employee morale and the sham of the rating system, etc. But that to me is the epitome of how Uber disregards the concerns of its drivers. Now I know what to expect should something BIG ever happen." Just a bunch of b.s. And THIS is why so many drivers HATE Uber.

^^^
That's what happens when you're dealing with somebody who is insulated on the other end who has never driven for a living, never has been put in that situation, and really has no idea of what you're talking about except for what's written on the crib sheet that's hanging on the inside of his cubicle.
Not only was the passenger an @@@@@@@, but also the hotel and the CSR who is the biggest, oblivious @@@@@@@ of them all.

limepro

I would never wait like that nor start the trip. It is much harder for them to contest them not showing up when they can plainly see you hit arrive and cancel in the exact spot they requested. 6 minutes is what I give them, they know they requested a ride, they know if they are late and they get a text when the driver hits arrived.

I have seen pax sitting right next to the street that completely ignore the text and never look up, I have also canceled on them if it takes them longer than 5 minutes to realize they ordered a service not a servant.

Uber-Doober

Yes he does! Read his avatar. He doesn't practice what he preaches.

^^^
So you're gonna make judgments from avatars.... Ms. rainbow farts and unicorns?
No reason that they could have not removed the 1* rating, and I know that for a fact, so there's no reason to be so inflexible on the situation.
One of these days maybe you'll be in here after making a noob mistake and start belly aching about it and you won't be receiving any sympathy.... from the board or your Multi-Billion-Dollar company that you're going so far out of your way to defend.

Yankee

That is not going to happen. Even after telling drivers to not start rides I then did it because I was pissed off at the PAX for dropping the pin 1/2 mile away then I arrived after starting the trip at pin and she demands I take 5 passengers. I get screwed on pay and get a 1 star rating and while I deserved better, I @@@@ed up and get the consequences. Uber doesn't care enough about you and this person. They could easily see he made you wait. My question is "Why would you not cancel after 5 minutes knowing it is now surging?" That is on you for not being smart. This happened to me last week and I waited at ping and cancelled at 5 minutes knowing it was surging and drunk made me drive for 10 minutes to wrong spot. Ended up getting a good ping at 2.1X that would not have come if I took dumb drunks home at $.90 a mile.

LEARN FROM IT!
Yes, you're totally correct here, Uber-Doober. The reason I didn't cancel on him was a difference in circumstances. I'll admit, if it was a college kid in a bar making me wait, CANCEL in a flash. But this was a guy in a fancy hotel, and after we spoke the first time, suddenly he entered his destination in. So I was fooled into thinking he was serious, not planning on stiffing me. When I informed him I was turning on the meter, and he didn't demur, I made the next mistake of thinking he realized it was as it should be. After all, why should ANYONE think we're gonna sit there for free and wait on them? So I got a tough lesson. Lesson learned.

Yankee

^^^
That's what happens when you're dealing with somebody who is insulated on the other end who has never driven for a living, never has been put in that situation, and really has no idea of what you're talking about except for what's written on the crib sheet that's hanging on the inside of his cubicle.
Not only was the passenger an @@@@@@@, but also the hotel and the CSR who is the biggest, oblivious @@@@@@@ of them all.
Yes, I mentioned this to the CSR, that it was clear he'd never been a driver. You can just tell some of these people have no clue.

OrlUberOffDriver

^^^
So you're gonna make judgments from avatars.... Ms. rainbow farts and unicorns?
No reason that they could have not removed the 1* rating, and I know that for a fact, so there's no reason to be so inflexible on the situation.
One of these days maybe you'll be in here after making a noob mistake and start belly aching about it and you won't be receiving any sympathy.... from the board or your Multi-Billion-Dollar company that you're going so far out of your way to defend.
Wrong! I have gotten cancel fees without even moving toward the pick up location. You have got to preempt these situations by emailing uber within the app.
He had plenty of chances to cancel this trip, and then he starts it without the pax. HE LOSES. HE DESERVES IT.