Another Driver Stole My Pax

mausibaer

Long story short---I am fairly certain another driver stole my pax last night. I was in Midtown stuck at a light trying to get to the shopping center to pick him up. I see another Uber driver on the other corner looking around and could see him take notice of him and then force his way over to get into the parking lot. I can see the pax looking at his phone and then looking in my direction (So I think he's watching me arrive). Meanwhile, the other driver beats me there and is motions the guy over. They chat for a second, the pax gets in his car, and I get a cancelation notice 5 seconds later.

After the fact, I thought that I should've gotten his license plate and reported him to Uber. But, it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Any thoughts?

tripAces

Long story short---I am fairly certain another driver stole my pax last night. I was in Midtown stuck at a light trying to get to the shopping center to pick him up. I see another Uber driver on the other corner looking around and could see him take notice of him and then force his way over to get into the parking lot. I can see the pax looking at his phone and then looking in my direction (So I think he's watching me arrive). Meanwhile, the other driver beats me there and is motions the guy over. They chat for a second, the pax gets in his car, and I get a cancelation notice 5 seconds later.

After the fact, I thought that I should've gotten his license plate and reported him to Uber. But, it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Any thoughts?
You are right! Take a pic of the plate. Report the incident. Driver can get shut down for "hails". That would be considered as one.
All Uber has to do is look into your cancel to when they got a rider. If it is same pax that person is gone.

FloJo

Hails are also illegal in Houston. This happened to me picking a guy up with a 4X+ surge. I here his friend call his name and say "Hey .... I got us a car, its right there." I'm thinking shit no my suuurge :frown: found another at 3X+ so wasn't too disappointed. My situation was a little different.

Just one more trip

Any thoughts?
What proof? You think the rider was yours? Out of dozens of people milling about? Remember we do not get a picture of who we are looking for. You think the rider saw you. Sorry, how do you prove this person saw anything beyond lights? The rider canceled. It happens. Maybe he was tired of waiting; maybe he thought another driver was near (they often are); maybe a friend offered a ride. Cry me a river. Move on and myob. We are drivers not mind readers or clairvoyants.

Last edited:

elelegido

What proof? You think the rider was yours? Out of dozens of people milling about? Remember we do not get a picture of who we are looking for. You think the rider saw you. Sorry, how do you prove this person saw anything beyond lights? The rider canceled. It happens. Maybe he was tired of waiting; maybe he thought another driver was near (they often are); maybe a friend offered a ride. Cry me a river. Move on and myob. We are drivers not mind readers or clairvoyants.
:mad: GGgrrrrrrrr!!! You tell him, tiger!:mad:

mausibaer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are correct. I have no proof, but enough circumstantial evidence to at least justify being suspicious.

There was a grand total of one person standing around, not dozens. We've all seen the body language and facial expressions of a person watching their phone for their driver and she was doing exactly that. The other driver had an Uber sticker and I could see the app on his phone as they passed me. And....another employee at the restaurant the pax works at saw me circling the lot and asked who I was looking for. I gave her the name and she told me that the pax had already left in an Uber just a second ago.

Does this prove anything? Probably not. But I believe that it was a fair question to ask the group. We may be in competition with each other, but the vast majority of the people who do this kind of work would appreciate a level playing field. If someone is stealing pax (hailing), then I would want to do whatever is right in order to stop them. We would all benefit from that, so why respond to an honest question with such vitriolic condemnation?

Do you support stealing other drivers' pax?

Hondaguy7643

To me, the proof is all in the timing of the cancellation. If I catch another driver doing this to me, their license plate will have a pic taken of it and I will report them. Uber can look into it and see clearly what is happening.

Just today I witnessed this happen to me but I didn't care for two reasons: the pax was an idiot and I watched him @@@@@ to the Uber in front of me about how I wasn't there when in reality I had been waiting on his ass for about 3 minutes already. Due to his bad attitude I just cancelled and moved on.

Drivers want to talk a big game about how shitty Uber is but no one wants to take a an organized stand, which would be much more effective. If drivers are now against each other because of Ubers shit wages and own dirty tactics then what hope is there? Not that there was much hope to begin with but I digress.

tripAces

You quote me. But make a rant to the OP. Is that what this is?

Just one more trip

Uber cannot see clearly what is happening. Perhaps they can email the passenger for his side of the story, but what you guys hold as evidence, I would hate to see presented in a court of law. It is flimsy. As for the vieled suggestion that I support stealing, I will let that go with the understanding that you do not know me, my IQ, my past positions held before retirement, or anything of my past postings on the forum. Truth is, but accusations may or may not be, and thus best be uttered lightly.

Last edited:

Hondaguy7643

Evidence is subjective but let's break it down shall we?

Uber is a GPS based app. If a pax requested a ride from me and I am about to arrive to pick them up. Then all of a sudden another Uber driver swings in, talks to the pax, and then the pax cancels and requests the driver he just talked to. Uber can clearly see where each of us were in relation to each other. Uber can also see who the original driver was for said pax. Further the timing of the cancellation and new request would indicate that some form of "agreement" took place within that time span.

One could argue that the pax simply saw a closer Uber and cancelled their current ride to request a new one, that's a bit dicier to uphold because without conversing with the driver how would the pax know that driver wasn't there to pick up someone else already? He wouldn't. I'm also aware that a rider cannot possibly know if they will get a ride from the driver they just talked to as the apps algorithm is not always on point with matching drivers up with the closest riders.

Further, what motive does a driver have pulling up to what they believe maybe a potential rider when they don't currently have a request they are en route to?

Whether or not it would hold in a court of law is subjective to the judges opinion on the given evidence, which to me speaks fairly clearly upon what the GPS and timing of transaction reflects.

Last edited:

tripAces

I am sure Uber can cross reference. The hard part is getting the picture unless you chase them down. Which is excessive.

But with Houston being so big and so many drivers think so small as in area they work. I shouldn't have any issues like this.

bigprttygrlswag

it happened to me - a party of 4 called for 2 users to "see who would come first." I got there first, second driver came maybe 3 minutes later. He drove off pissed - understandably. It sounds like he drove a 6-cylinder vehicle too

You win some, you lose some. You just gotta hustle on the next one. It's been done to me too.

tripAces

it happened to me - a party of 4 called for 2 users to "see who would come first." I got there first, second driver came maybe 3 minutes later. He drove off pissed - understandably. It sounds like he drove a 6-cylinder vehicle too

You win some, you lose some. You just gotta hustle on the next one. It's been done to me too.
Thats something none of us can get around. Its a game they play. I had a group talking about that same thing. I asked if they felt bad for it. They said no. I gave a 2 on the rating.