Another cool car you'll never get in the US

Fusion_LUser

Station wagons have not been popular for a very long time so it's no surprise VW will not bring over the wagon. We also can not get the Audi RS4 and RS6 Avant over here. Mazda stop importing the Mazda 6 Wagon too. I had a 2005 Mazda 6 Wagon and loved it.

Bucket lists cars for me include full size 1970's station wagons... Great American nostalgia like this Torino 429 Ram Air.

However I'm more likely to go with a 429 Country Squire and of course the ultimate unicorn of station wagons is nothing but full on 100% unobtainium!

TomTheAnt

I'm actually surprised ANY manufacturer still bothers to offer wagons for sale in the US market. The SUV in the US pretty much equals the wagon in Europe. Some of the smaller SUVs (or what ever the hell the other acronyms are...) have started to gain share there, but pretty sure the wagon is still the go-to thing.

Last edited:

Fusion_LUser

I'm actually surprised ANY manufacturer still bothers to offer wagons for sale in the US market. The SUV pretty much equals the wagon in Europe. Some of the smaller SUVs (or what ever the hell the other acronyms are...) have started to gain share there, but pretty sure the wagon is still the go-to thing.
And with Ford dropping the Fusion sedan for 2021 there is credible info that they will bring the Fusion "Active" Wagon to the US. If this wagon was available last year I would have bought it over the sedan!

The only bad part is that Ford wants to make this wagon like the Outback or A4 Allroad with fake body cladding for that "off-road" look.

No thanks. Just like how I don't want a 4X4 to look like a street mobile I don't want a car to look like a 4X4.

Another Uber Driver

Another cool car you'll never get in the US

1600136830383.png

Great American nostalgia like this Torino 429 Ram Air.

However I'm more likely to go with a 429 Country Squire and of course the ultimate unicorn of station wagons

How about one of these:

1600137074890.png

.........with a 406 and dual quads? It is a shame that they do not sell hundred octane premium any more. You can use octane booster, but it fouls your plugs and pits the points.

What is that Torino in your photograph? ...........a 1971?

Ford................there is credible info that they will bring the Fusion "Active" Wagon to the US.
Will it be available as a hybrid? ............or do you know. I have a 2014 and 2015 Fusion hybrid. I like them.

Monkeyman4394

I'm actually surprised ANY manufacturer still bothers to offer wagons for sale in the US market. The SUV in the US pretty much equals the wagon in Europe. Some of the smaller SUVs (or what ever the hell the other acronyms are...) have started to gain share there, but pretty sure the wagon is still the go-to thing.
To be fair, every SUV is basically a station wagon, but most people can’t stand the thought of their friends and neighbors thinking they drive a wagon or mini-van.

Also, Volkswagens suck.

CarpeNoctem

The US will get one with 60 horsepower less, no sports suspension, no performance brakes, no sports exhaust with quad tips, etc, but not the Arteon R or the Arteon Station Wagon.

I have to wonder why. Maybe a safety or fuel efficiency thing? Is it VW not wanting to sell them here or the US not allowing them to sell them here?

Sal29

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
s
I have to wonder why. Maybe a safety or fuel efficiency thing? Is it VW not wanting to sell them here or the US not allowing them to sell them here?
I think they don't want to cannibalize Audi sales and they wouldn't sell that well in the US anyway. Why get a sporty Audi S4 or S5 Sportsback with 349 horsepower when you can get a sporty VW with 320 horsepower for $20,000 less.

Fusion_LUser

How about one of these:

View attachment 507668

.........with a 406 and dual quads? It is a shame that they do not sell hundred octane premium any more. You can use octane booster, but it fouls your plugs and pits the points.

Will it be available as a hybrid? ............or do you know. I have a 2014 and 2015 Fusion hybrid. I like them.
I like pretty much all the Country Squire's and the one you posted is a early 60's Country Squire fifth generation, right? I'm a 70's child though so I like the malaise era of Country Squire's the most. I like the big HP of the sixth gens and the looks of the seventh gens.

The 429 Torino is a 1971! You know your model years!

The Fusion "Active" Wagon will be available in both Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid models but with Ford going with the body cladding "off-road" look similar to the Outback or A4 Allroad I don't see myself getting one. I do like the looks of the white wagon I posted though, very clean lines.

tohunt4me

Station wagons have not been popular for a very long time so it's no surprise VW will not bring over the wagon. We also can not get the Audi RS4 and RS6 Avant over here. Mazda stop importing the Mazda 6 Wagon too. I had a 2005 Mazda 6 Wagon and loved it.

Bucket lists cars for me include full size 1970's station wagons... Great American nostalgia like this Torino 429 Ram Air.

However I'm more likely to go with a 429 Country Squire and of course the ultimate unicorn of station wagons is nothing but full on 100% unobtainium!

Wagons are being sought out by youth & collectors now.
Yet are still cheap at auctions.
I bought a 1996 olds cierra cutlass wagon 9 passenger for $600.00 a year ago at auction.
Only had 40,000 miles. Was owned by a school board.
Sold Quick for a Nice Profit !
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 507665

How about one of these:

View attachment 507668

Screenshot_2020-09-15-14-41-25.png
Screenshot_2020-09-15-14-29-09.png
Screenshot_2020-09-15-14-28-44.png
Screenshot_2020-09-15-14-45-52.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

Why get a sporty Audi S4 or S5 Sportsback with 349 horsepower when you can get a sporty VW with 320 horsepower for $20,000 less.

An Audi is nothing but a Volkswagen with a Mercedes-Benz price tag. My brother-in-law calls them "Volkswagens with rings".

early 60's Country Squire fifth generation, right?
.............1962.................................I doubt that the 406 was available in the station waggons. It was available in the Galaxie, so it will fit into the Country Squire...............

I'm a 70's child though so I like the malaise era of Country Squire's the most. I like the big HP of the sixth gens and the looks of the seventh gens.
There were several eights available in the sixth generation (1965, 6,, 7 ?). You had both the high and low compression 390s, at one point a 428 and a 352 in the early years. All of those had the same block. The bore and stroke varied as did other parts, but, the blocks were the same.

The 429 Torino is a 1971! You know your model years!

I am not sure when the 429 first appeared, 1968(?). It lasted even into the mid 1970s, but I forget exactly when Ford dropped it.

Fusion_LUser

Wagons are being sought out by youth & collectors now.
Yet are still cheap at auctions.
I bought a 1996 olds cierra cutlass wagon 9 passenger for $600.00 a year ago at auction.
Only had 40,000 miles. Was owned by a school board.
Sold Quick for a Nice Profit !
Wagons are certainly in with the hipster crowd! Nice flip on the Olds wagon. How was the condition? 40k is low!