• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Annual Inspections

Daisey77

So I went for my annual inspection today. I highly DON'T recommend Meineke. I have to finish dealing with them tomorrow. This was quite an ordeal.:rolleyes: anyways I have a couple questions for you all. I'm pretty sure I know the answers or close enough but I'm just curious if this place was as ridiculous as I think they were lol
1) I'm just curious what you guys generally pay for your inspections?
2) what is your understanding as far as brakes go? They are generally approved down to what millimeters?
3) what would your guys's guesstimate be for one set of brakes? pads only no rotors, ceramic

Thanks!:biggrin:

Medic303

1) $20 at Midas if my buddy doesn’t do it.
2) last I was told it was 4mm. I may have been told wrong.
3) depends on vehicle. $20-$40 on the low end.

Edit: if you’re wanting to know labor that should be around 1-1.5 hours of shop time. It shouldn’t ever take that long but that’s what a lot of shops out on their estimates.

MercDuke

15 dollars at the Hub for Inspection and a brake job on a 4 Runner like you have had got to be at least 200 an axle so maybe 400 on the cheap side for the whole car.

Daisey77

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK yeah we're in the same ballpark. Inspections anywhere $15 to $20 . 15 might have been way back when I first started. Last year I paid 20 at Midas. Brakes I was thinking 3 to 4mm. After my inspection, did find on the PUC website the actual TNC rules and it says 3mm. As for the cost of brakes , I was thinking $200 on the high end with labor. I know I can buy them for $30 to $40.

Ok so . . . this is what Damien at Meineke tried to pull over on me.

Inspection- $32 and he knew I was aware that places try to charge you double if you do both Uber and Lyft at the same time because I downloaded the TNC annual inspection form from the Utilities Commission website. It does not have Ubers name or Lyfts name on it. That way they can't reject it for being on each other's form and they can't reject it because it came from the Utilities Commission. One form simplifies it all . When I told the guy at Meineke that I had this specific form he said oh we have Uber and Lyft forms. I said well this is just one form that should suffice for both companies. I I know how you guys want to charge double for filling out two forms when it's the same inspection. He got up went and grab a form, came back, and asked if this was the form I was referring to. I said yeah you have it? He said yeah but no one's ever asked for it before. you're the first one.

Brake pad measurements- so he failed me on my back brakes. Which I can't say I was surprised. I had not checked them but I know over the last few years I've been having to replace the back ones every year and that year was coming up in September. So I knew it was going to be close but I was hoping I could pull it off. However, technically I do pass according to the state. He was trying to tell me that they have to be 5 mm. :rolleyes:. Mine were 4mm.

Brake service at Meineke- now this is what put me over the edge. He tried telling me that my back brakes were going to be $437! He tried saying it real fast and kept talking and I'm like whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa did you just say $437? He said yeah and the guys are ready to do it. I said they can be ready all they want but they ain't doing it. I said you do realize that that price is absolutely F'n ridiculous, right? You know it and I know it. So I don't know why you tried that. He said well you're entitled to your opinion.

On my way out to the airport afterwards, I called another Meineke. I realize they're not all probably corporate but I just wanted to get another Meineke quote to see if it was specifically me he was thinking was that stupid or if it was more of typical stereotypical Auto Repair thing, fluffing the estimate as much as possible. The other Meineke was on board with us. He said the inspection was 20. The brakes were 3 to 4 mm and he quoted me about 200 with labor. Either way I'm going to Sears because I have $137 in reward points to use but I don't like it when people purposely try to screw me over LOL you failed me for no reason pretty much. I know I need brakes within the next month and I have every intention of doing that. That's why I got my inspection done 10 days early. so I had some room to play with

Ugh the more I think about it the more pissed I get. I'm taking the TNC policy into them tomorrow. He better be willing to pass me or else he'd better hope there are no other customers in that waiting room

15 dollars at the Hub for Inspection and a brake job on a 4 Runner like you have had got to be at least 200 an axle so maybe 400 on the cheap side for the whole car.
Like I said in my post it was only for the back brakes so 200. I'm not going to the hub for an inspection. That means I'd have to pay for two inspections and go to two different appointments. Not to mention it's automatic deactivation, until it's fixed, if they find anything wrong

RideshareGentrification

I use the meineke in wheat ridge 38th and wads .I just started using them as a family member gave me a card for a free synthetic oil change and rotation they also do a basic inspection (which is good for turo since I do all my own work)
I made an appointment for 3pm they said 2 hours so I walked across the street grabbed a bite and did some grocery shopping at Safeway. Came back and they told me they were sorry but they wouldn't be able to finish so they gave me 3 free synthetic oil change and tire rotation coupons. So I've used 3 of them and they've been great everytime, they told me they would do my annual inspection for free when needed at an oil change . I still have one left hoping they screw up scheduling again lol

Since I need to keep some records on my cars for liability purposes it works out perfect ad they give u an inspection each time so I uploaded the inspection pic to each rental

Anyway it is 3mm for pads but I wouldn't allow pads to drop below 5. You cna always check a site called repair pal for estimated costs broken down to parts and labor. $400 sounds about right for rear pads and turning the rotors . You can do it yourself for $75 but they jack up parts cost labor and then warranty it .

After getting a clean bill of vehicle health from Meineke I got a nail in my tire and took it to les Schwab to get patched at which point they told me I need new rear brakes and that cars can't get new pads without turning the rotors and replacing the calipers at a turn of $850. I laughed at the guy took my free tire repair and will never go back. I checked the brakes myself a few days later and they have at least 8 or 9mm of life left

ItsAConspiracy

OK, Ima just keep things simple and visit the Greenlight Hub and get-er-dun for 15 bucks. Brakes pads are never a concern in a hybrid. They will last the life of the car if driven reasonably. Wife's ride is a RAV4 EV that I occasionally use for ride-share. The guy inspecting the car asked me when I got new brake pads, I said they were original... I got the impression that he thought I was lying or didnt know. He also said I got 10s, but I keep em clean. :biggrin:

Last edited:

RideshareGentrification

OK, Ima just keep things simple and visit the Greenlight Hub and get-er-dun for 15 bucks. Brakes pads are never a concern in a hybrid. They will last the life of the car if driven reasonably. Wife's ride is a RAV4 EV that I occasionally use for ride-share. The guy inspecting the car asked me when I got new brake pads, I said they were original... I got the impression that he thought I was lying or didnt know. He also said I got 10s, but I keep em clean. :biggrin:
Lincoln hybrid got 100k out of the front pads and still original rear at 160k

Jboaz686

My inspection was up about 3 weeks ago. The last day the old one was valid Lyft was having an on-boarding day about 10 minutes from my apartment. I went and got the inspection for free and uploaded the Lyft form for both with no issues.

Frontier Guy

When I go to Nissan, they don't charge me anything for the inspection, but I also usually tie it in with an oil change so they can do it as part of the regular inspection. Goodyear charges $20. Brakes Plus and Big O frequently have coupons for brake specials. Brakes Plus currently has a $20 off on brake pads coupon and if you do it on Tuesday, it's ladies day so there's a coupon for an extra $5.00 off.

graphicgenie

Youtube how to change breakpads by chrisfix

It took me only a few minutes. The hardest part is taking off the covers. The pads just slides right off and slides right in with the right lube... i did the slide in and slide out many times on the pad and now i could stop on a dime.

MercDuke

What's the "right lube?"

And Daisey is in the Meineke screwing up their Consecutive Break Jobs bonus oh the Irony!

Daisey77

Youtube how to change breakpads by chrisfix

It took me only a few minutes. The hardest part is taking off the covers. The pads just slides right off and slides right in with the right lube... i did the slide in and slide out many times on the pad and now i could stop on a dime.
I know I'm about ready to have my boy teach me how to do them. I wasn't going to get them done there regardless of the price. My friend's husband owns a towing company. so he puts my truck up on the lift and can do both axles and less than 30 minutes. He's going to do my back ones for me. I just was more pissed that this guy was straight up trying to hustle me! Bad human! Lol I have $140 in credit to use at Sears so if anything I'd go to them but i'm definitely not going to Meineke. Midas is going to redo my inspection tomorrow and they said if my back brakes are really at 4, and that's the only problem then they'll pass me

Daisey77

UPDATE: I went back to Midas , where I normally go for my inspections, and I'm Golden :biggrin:
Brake pads actually measured at 7! Even better than I was expecting

ATG

So I went for my annual inspection today. I highly DON'T recommend Meineke. I have to finish dealing with them tomorrow. This was quite an ordeal.:rolleyes: anyways I have a couple questions for you all. I'm pretty sure I know the answers or close enough but I'm just curious if this place was as ridiculous as I think they were lol
1) I'm just curious what you guys generally pay for your inspections?
2) what is your understanding as far as brakes go? They are generally approved down to what millimeters?
3) what would your guys's guesstimate be for one set of brakes? pads only no rotors, ceramic

Thanks!:biggrin:

1. I get the annual inspection for free at Lyft on Aurora.
2. Lyft inspections are not the greatest, I think they didn't even check the pads.
3. I normally buy oem parts online and then my local mexican shop charges me $20.00 just to install them.

Daisey77

2. Lyft inspections are not the greatest, I think they didn't even check the pads.
3. I normally buy oem parts online and then my local mexican shop charges me $20.00 just to install them.
And what do you do for Uber? Lyft doesn't charge you for vehicle inspections?

I do the same thing for my brake pads. I purchase them and my friend's husband does them

Reactions: ATG

Frontier Guy

I watched Lyft do inspections at the office one day, they don't check pads, I forget what the kid told me, but I laughed as I drove off

Lyft inspection is free and accepted by uber for those who didnt know.
Sometimes Uber will accept it, when I submitted mine for the wife's car, I initially submitted with LYFT showing on the form, they rejected it, I waited an hour, covered the Lyft logo with a piece of paper, took the new pic and submitted it, they accepted it that time.

Daisey77

Uber denied mine last year specifically because it was on a Lyft form and I didn't even have the Lyft logo visible

graphicgenie

keep doing it until you get a dumdum... works great with everything.
--------------------------------------
The universe was create many times over.... until GOD stumble upon some dumb monkeys who threw shyt at each other. Fast forward 1000000 years later we're still throwing shyt at each other.... because my shyt will always be better than your shyt. HAHAHAHAHA GOD knew if we were to busy fighting each other, we will never solve the secret of the universe. EX: he even put a perfect pyramid with 8 sides facing exactly true north aligned with the stars, in the center of all land mass on earth.... and we're like ' nah.... that can't be right.... the dudes who wrote the history books says so.

ATG

And what do you do for Uber? Lyft doesn't charge you for vehicle inspections?

I do the same thing for my brake pads. I purchase them and my friend's husband does them
I use Adobe photoshop and remove all Lyft logos from the paper(It takes me 2 minutes, never had any problem submitting it to Uber), nowadays you can also use a simple app and remove it. Lyft doesn't charge for vehicle inspections or medical checkup, you have to go to their office on business hours below is the link for the time and locations where you can have it done.

https://sites.google.com/lyft.com/lyftcolorado/home

We're offering free application events on the following dates and times, at the locations below. Current drivers may also receive vehicle & medical inspections on a first come basis. Events are only available during these times and not during major holidays or severe weather.

***Please do not call or stop by outside of these hours.***

Uber denied mine last year specifically because it was on a Lyft form and I didn't even have the Lyft logo visible
You gotta remove Upper Lyft logo and the following.

LYFT DRIVER INFO (ERASE ONLY LYFT)
LYFT DRIVER NAME (ERASE ONLY LYFT)
LYFT DRIVER SIGNATURE (ERASE ONLY LYFT)
LYFT DRIVER PHONE NUMBER (ERASE ONLY LYFT)

I started doing it 3 years ago when the numb nuts from jiffy lube tried to charge me again to have another inspection with an Uber logo.

Attachments