Annoying pax

nicolephlsfo

Run of the mill SF trip, last call, SOMA-Outer Richmond. Guy jumps in and immediately starts giving directions. I know SF pretty well, but OK. I'll bite.

"No problem. But if you want me to go your way, you'll have to give me directions the entire way. Understood?" "For sure"

Three minutes in, guy forgets to tell me to turn on Geary. I laugh and tell him to keep the directions coming. Guy goes on, "Yeah maps is a total sham. Can't use them, won't use them. They're designed to make the most money." Apparently Google struck a back-door deal with Uber, people. Use our maps! We'll spend all the man power we have hiring engineers to manipulate satellite data just for uber driver parters!

Okay, fine. Pax are after all, so very wise. "Do you have any gum?" Dahli Lama of all pax asks. "Only the piece in my mouth", I reply. The game was wearing on me. The pax sighs, expressing utter turmoil and dismay.

I stop short at a light that recently went yellow. Pax audibly gasps, "Have you ever gotten into an accident while ubering?" Pax asks. "No" I reply, "I'm a pretty good driver." "Well, you're a woman." I turn fully around, as remember, we're stopped. "What exactly does that mean?" I ask. "You're a lady driver" he answers. Light turns green and we carry on.

We pass a police blockade. "It was a shooting...Oh...Did you see that wreck?" "No. I was a little busy driving." "Oh that's good that you didn't rubber neck". He requests that I speed to make the timed lights on Geary. I tell him I'm only comfortable speeding at my current excess of 6mph while I'm carrying a passenger.

Eventually, we make it. A 15 minute, 4 mile trip took 30 and 6. No thanks, no have a good night, just a silent jump out into the night after I pulled into "the driveway with the car". You know, that one.

And this is why I dread that 10 foot march from my front door to my car every evening.

Pdubpooter

The only pax to try this on me was a mute go figure. He wasn't deaf because the dude had earphones on and playing music but he could only make those groaning sounds from people mute or really severe on the autism scale. Luckily for me this guy was totally attentive and pointed at every turn.

manuella

it was super awkward cause I made him apologize before we drove off
Haha too funny , how funny would it be if you had a camera and kept the footage of all your adventures ! Uber movies are going to start being made , you could sell the footage to someone for their research purposes

Luber4.9

Great thread. I've noticed more bad passengers lately. The attitudes...Anyone get the kind that doesn't respond at all? I had a dad whose daughter called a ride for him. As he was coming towards the car with her across the street he said my name loudly and enthusiastically. I thought it meant a friendly fare. Demeanor did a 360 as soon as he got in back seat. I asked how "how was your night" and he didn't respond. My first instinct was to cancel right there and kick him out in front of the daughter. But I didn't want a crazy scene so I just did the ride. It was not pleasant...

manuella

Great thread. I've noticed more bad passengers lately. The attitudes...Anyone get the kind that doesn't respond at all? I had a dad whose daughter called a ride for him. As he was coming towards the car with her across the street he said my name loudly and enthusiastically. I thought it meant a friendly fare. Demeanor did a 360 as soon as he got in back seat. I asked how "how was your night" and he didn't respond. My first instinct was to cancel right there and kick him out in front of the daughter. But I didn't want a crazy scene so I just did the ride. It was not pleasant...
Yes ,that's something that's been bothering me a lot , people you greet and they keep quiet ! my initial thought is to kick them out sometimes I do repeat louder but I am curious to know if there is a better way to handle these guys

sd1303

he didn't respond. My first instinct was to cancel right there and kick him out in front of the daughter...
Yes ,that's something that's been bothering me a lot , people you greet and they keep quiet ! my initial thought is to kick them out sometimes I do repeat louder but I am curious to know if there is a better way to handle these guys
As annoying as that is, kicking them out seems like an over-reaction.

I try to not let it bother me... or chalk it up to one of the many reasons they may not have answered (hard of hearing, limited English, something on their mind, crappy day and don't feel like being social, didn't hear me, didn't know I was talking to them).

yucklyftline

I WISH that happened to me. I would have repeated it until I got an answer. Probably a reasonable explanation as sd1303 said.

No way I could sit there quietly after asking another human being how their day was and not receive a reply. Are people THAT rude? My curiosity would have won out on that one.

Uberdancer

"No one is more arrogant toward women, more aggressive or scornful, than the man who is anxious about his virility."
~ Simone de Beauvoir, "The Second Sex"

Luber4.9

I WISH that happened to me. I would have repeated it until I got an answer. Probably a reasonable explanation as sd1303 said.

No way I could sit there quietly after asking another human being how their day was and not receive a reply. Are people THAT rude? My curiosity would have won out on that one.
Agreed. I said it a second time and got a "good" but it was the friendly greeting in front of his daughter and then immediate 360 to ice cold that was like, "really?" You are a sociopath!

Some days when I immediately sense an attitude when they get in, I want to say, "just get out, I'm not transporting unfriendly passengers at dirt rates today. Try me tomorrow maybe. Good luck to you."

Silent_Philosodriver

You guys expect too much. I don't care if a single word is exchanged between me and pax beyond name & destination checks. Silence is a virtue. I'm driving, not performing dialogues, jokes or looking for human contact and empathy. A nice convo and a friendly PAX is a bonus, not a requirement. Yeah it would be nice if every interaction is awesome, but get real.

manuella

You guys expect too much. I don't care if a single word is exchanged between me and pax beyond name & destination checks. Silence is a virtue. I'm driving, not performing dialogues, jokes or looking for human contact and empathy. A nice convo and a friendly PAX is a bonus, not a requirement. Yeah it would be nice if every interaction is awesome, but get real.
we are not just uber drivers , we are also sane ordinary members of society .

normal people do certain things like greeting each other no one is asking for a convo , I greet you you greet me back then silence besides it also provides a sense of safety :smiles:

ShockSmoove

My rating has dropped to 4.84 from 4.89 from the last month or two. Have done nothing different. Just my luck, or has pax gotten worse?