• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Animosity toward other drivers here.

Uberdise

I posted this by itself in a reply but felt it needs more attention.

There is really no reason to hold animosity toward other drivers. The only negative reason I can think is people depressing other drives in hope there will be one less driver competing with them on the road.

Yes, Uber does not pay well. Uber is not a great company. We get it.

Walmart does not pay well and is a crappy company, yet they are the largest non-gov employer in the US.

Without them, many people would be without a job. Walmart employs 1.5 MILLION people in the US alone.

Yes, there are better jobs out there, but there are not enough for everyone. Otherwise people would be working at them and not Walmart.

The old worn out "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is outdated baby boomer logic when manufacturing jobs dominated the US economy. We are now mainly a service economy.

The US has about 130 million full time employees. 81 million of them are paid $20/hr or less. $20/hr is the threshold for what I consider "good paying"..because even though Amazon workers are paid $15/hr, many of them are impoverished. Many nurses do not even make $20/hr.
The average hourly wage for a factory worker in a US auto plant is $16 an hour.
50 years ago the same wage (accounted for inflation of course) would of been decent money. My father made roughly the same amount and had his own house (paid for) and a brand new car (paid for) around 26 years old.
Hell...my aunt rented an apartment as a single female in the early 70's on MINIMUM WAGE.
My fiance and I work 3 jobs and have trouble staying afloat.

My dad also got a full retirement, something that less than 7 percent of full time employees get today. In fact many of my older family members received pensions as a factory worker.

Anyway..this means over 60 million employees are currently stuck making under $20/hr. The vast majority WILL NEVER EARN MORE. This is the failure of the circular logic when anyone mentions obtaining a better paying job. It's like cutting a pie into equal thirds and arguing one slice is bigger than two.

It makes absolutely no sense to judge people for what they do for income. It makes no sense to judge people, period. Yet on almost every thread, the same old comments of "stop driving" "your getting screwed" "find a job that pays better" comes up again and again.

nonononodrivethru

There is really no reason to hold animosity toward other drivers. The only negative reason I can think is people depressing other drives in hope there will be one less driver competing with them on the road.

Walmart does not pay well and is a crappy company, yet they are the largest non-gov employer in the US.

Without them, many people would be without a job. Walmart employs 1.5 MILLION people in the US alone.

Yes, there are better jobs out there, but there are not enough for everyone. Otherwise people would be working at them and not Walmart.

The old worn out "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is outdated baby boomer logic when manufacturing jobs dominated the US economy. We are now mainly a service economy.

The US has about 130 million full time employees. 81 million of them are paid $20/hr or less. $20/hr is the threshold for what I consider "good paying"..because even though Amazon workers are paid $15/hr, many of them are impoverished. Many nurses do not even make $20/hr.
50 years ago the same wage (accounted for inflation of course) would of been decent money. My father made roughly the same amount and had his own house (paid for) and a brand new car (paid for) around 26 years old.
Hell...my aunt rented an apartment as a single female in the early 70's on MINIMUM WAGE.

My dad also got a full retirement, something that less than 7 percent of full time employees get today. In fact many of my older family members received pensions as a factory worker.

Anyway..this means over 60 million employees are currently stuck making under $20/hr. The vast majority WILL NEVER EARN MORE. This is the failure of the circular logic when anyone mentions obtaining a better paying job. It's like cutting a pie into equal thirds and arguing one slice is bigger than two.

It makes absolutely no sense to judge people for what they do for income. It makes no sense to judge people, period. Yet on almost every thread, the same old comments of "stop driving" "your getting screwed" "find a job that pays better" comes up again and again.

Consider that most rideshare drivers are unemployable trolls and all of this should make sense.

Add to the mix the tree fort mentality that comes with message boards, et voila.

Honestly, just go drive and ignore the board politics. Come here to vent occasionally and keep up with a little news.

Uberdise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If those figures are even close to being correct they are a damning indictment on the state of the nation.
The boomer logic of getting a better job was only true when one could walk into a factory..fresh out of high school..no degree and earn the equivalent of $25/hr today. Working at McDonald's was a job for teens.

My father earned $3.75 an hour working at a rubber hose plant in 1969. That doesn't sound like much, but with inflation that is 2 cents shy of $27 an hour today. Even a store clerk made $2.50 an hour in 1970 which is $16.50 an hour today.

Now if you wanted to be a construction worker, the average wage in 1970 was $5.24 an hour or $34.59 an hour today.
Today..the average wage for a construction worker is about $17-$19/hr.

Wages have not kept up with inflation. Thus people don't have extra money to spend, and money being spent is literally what drives the economy.

Last edited:

nonononodrivethru

The boomer logic of getting a better job was only true when one could walk into a factory..fresh out of high school..no degree and earn the equivalent of $25/hr today. Working at McDonald's was a job for teens.

My father earned $3.75 an hour working at a rubber hose plant in 1969. That doesn't sound like much, but with inflation that is 2 cents shy of $27 an hour today. Even a store clerk made $2.50 an hour in 1970 which is $16.50 an hour today.

Wages have not kept up with inflation. Thus people don't have extra money to spend, and money being spent is literally what drives the economy.
Two incomes per household was supposed to be a boon. It just doubled the price of everything.

observer

I hear those Walmart people are at each other’s throats! The greeters are especially badass! You do not @@@@ with the greeter at Walmart!
Post automatically merged:

Two incomes per household was supposed to be a boon. It just doubled the price of everything.
Doubles the price and creates lower wages because of oversupply of workers.

Now if you wanted to be a construction worker, the average wage in 1970 was $5.24 an hour or $34.59 an hour today.
Today..the average wage for a construction worker is about $17-$19/hr.

View attachment 336266
My dad was making 10 bux an hour in mid to late 70s. Union job.

My first summer job paid 3.10 an hour. When I started working with my dad in '84 I made 10 bux an hour.

Minimum wage in California in 2017, 33 years later was 10 bux an hour.

Last edited:

doyousensehumor

Part of the driver animosity is we are:

1. Giving Nubers "tough love" to CHALENGE them to be better.
  2. Giving crap to the UberCoolade drinker, as they are just kicking the beehive here. Aka trolls.
  3. Strong passionate disagreements, like those who want to stay independant contractors, and those who want to be hourly.
  4. The lack of training for U/L drivers, combined with most drivers are new. Experienced drivers do things a certain way, because we learned the hard way. People may ask for real advice, so we may feel we need to counter someone else's bad advice.
  5. Different reasons/prioraty for doing U/L. Some do it full time, and have a goal for maximun profitability. Other's literally do it out of boredom. Those 2 groups will often clash.
  6. The competition IS the other drivers. Do these "on demand" type IC work long enough, and you will see it. Some things you have to figure it out yourself. A smart driver will not give away all the local honeyholes. He depends on them for a living, and the other drivers in his city are his competition.
Overall I must give UBERPEOPLE credit, as they have an excellent platform for us to discuss everything, even it is edgy. Mods generally let us say what we need to, while keeping threads from getting out of hand.

Last edited:

Molongo

Most of those negative comments are from Uber/Lyft shills.

Uberdise

Experienced drivers do things a certain way, because we learned the hard way. People may ask for real advice, so we may feel we need to counter someone else's bad advice.
The issue I see on this forum is there is a different school of thought for every topic as a driver.
Do drivers get throttled? Do some drivers get priority pings?
Do I drive or sit still? Etc, etc.
Even the most experienced veteran drivers have different opinions.

Bbonez

I didn't fact check all of the "statistics" you are throwing out but they sounded incorrect. So I quickly checked this one, way off. The average pay for an auto worker in US is $29.76 an hour. I assume the rest of your statistics are incorrect unless you can find data supporting your claim.

SmartSelect_20190716-015239_Samsung Internet.jpg

doyousensehumor

The issue I see on this forum is there is a different school of thought for every topic as a driver.
Do drivers get throttled? Do some drivers get priority pings?
Do I drive or sit still? Etc, etc.
Even the most experienced veteran drivers have different opinions.
Yeah, and that's a beautiful thing. Honestly who wants an echo chamber? Many times we see things from a different point of view. What works for me, might not work for another driver.

Uberdise

I didn't fact check all of the "statistics" you are throwing out but they sounded incorrect. So I quickly checked this one, way off. The average pay for an auto worker in US is $29.76 an hour. I assume the rest of your statistics are incorrect unless you can find data supporting your claim.

View attachment 336271

That is because many factory jobs have a two-tier or multi-tier wage system.
They literally hire new people at a hourly rate that is much less than their tenured employees.

Those in the UAW hired before 2007 make roughly twice what new hires make.

That is why employers don't like people discussing their pay.

Again, my dad made the inflation adjusted hourly wage of $26.17 an hour in 1969.
That factory is still open. I looked on Indeed and the hourly wage is $13.67 an hour.

Not to mention:
-My dad and thousands of others did not need to burden themselves with student loan debt to get this wage.
-Those who make $26/hr with student loans actually make less due to student loan payments. Roughly $3-$4/hr less.
-The median price of a home at the time was $62,000 less than it is today (adjusted for inflation).
-Rent in the area (and in most areas in the US) has DOUBLED against inflation.

Last edited:

Nats121

Doubles the price and creates lower wages because of oversupply of workers.

My dad was making 10 bux an hour in mid to late 70s. Union job.

My first summer job paid 3.10 an hour. When I started working with my dad in '84 I made 10 bux an hour.

Minimum wage in California in 2017, 33 years later was 10 bux an hour.
Sam Walton is turning over in his grave for what his family's done to Walmart.

Rickos69

Just for fact's sake, Walmart is not just the largest non-governmental employer in the US.

Largest employers in the world.
1. US Department of Defense
2. China Department of Defense
3. Walmart

Trivia
In 2015, the six Waltons on the Forbes 400 list were worth $136.1 billion, making them the richest family in the United States. They have more wealth than 43% of American families combined. Their net worth is nearly equal to the combined wealth of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

RabbleRouser

Fact is:

If u haven’t invested in yourselves and Worked at acquiring:
A Skill
Certificates
Education
Credentials

You’re basically relegated to Your Chosen Level:
Low Skill Low Wage. Working Poor

⚠It’s common public knowledge that 👉FT careerist Uber drivers
Have no ambitions (other than demanding more money for sitting in their cars) and are lazy. Not even Mcdonald’s Will hire Uber drivers.

U should thank the heavens for Uber & Walmart, without ‘em you’d be living
in a box 📦 or dead.