1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

[Android] How to Determine if You Have the NEW UBER App Ver 3.168.10005

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Ant-Man, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Ant-Man

Ant-Man Well-Known Member

Instructions for downloading and troubleshooting the new version are 7 posts down. In the meantime check to ensure whether or not you are running version 3.168.10005. If you are, you have the new app installed and you just need to follow the last step of the install instructions to get it to work. If not, follow the install instruction from step one. (Note: I am not sure if one can get the update if you didn't receive the email from Uber with the link to Play Store as this link contains personalized meta data.)

Instructions for checking version number:
    Method one: Go to settings>Apps>Uber Driver and your version number will show up right below the app name up top

Method two: Go to the Play Store, go to the Uber Driver app, click the "read more" link in the description, scroll to the bottom, check version like in the following screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Trying to pin down what exactly is happening. Lots of data moving.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
    Nats121, Uberchampion, KekeLo and 4 others like this.
  2. LoveBC

LoveBC Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    The moving data is the last few years of changes coming in. If you deleted/reinstalled you’re starting off with the ancient version then all the new crap streams in like the blue earnings screen instead of the old black and green, the post May22nd way of showing fare details, the ride selection screen. All that crap is not built in to the base app, it updates in.

3. Ant-Man

4. LoveBC

LoveBC Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I hate those Uber cartoon driver graphics.

kdyrpr, werty, toeout and 4 others like this.
  5. Ant-Man

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes complete sense now. Deleting the old version is not necessary it turns out, just getting the proper update to show up is.

6. LoveBC

LoveBC Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Picture it as if some one sprayed diarrhea on the wall. Rather than clean the wall uber just paints over it. Years from now, if uber still exists, the app will take 10gb

werty, jaxgatorz, tohunt4me and 3 others like this.
  7. DocT

DocT Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Thanks Ant-ManAnt-Man for providing these screenshots.

8. Ant-Man

HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE NEW APP ON ANDROID
    (someone who has not received the email from Uber with a link to the Play Store download please try this procedure and report back if it works so we can determine if everyone can access it or not yet)
    Note: it is not necessary to uninstall the old version and doing so will just eat up a bunch of data. The trick is in getting the Play Store to show you the update, which is outlined below.

1) Click link in the email you received. It will first go to your browser and then should kick you to the Play Store. The option to OPEN and UNINSTALL will show but ignore both. Instead:

2) Scroll down slightly so you can see the other apps Play Store recommends. Click on any one. When the app you just clicked page loads, click the back arrow at the top of the page or the left arrow on your Android.

3) The option to UPDATE should now be available instead of OPEN. Click it. It will begin downloading the <40 MB update and then patch your current version when the download completes.

(NOTE: If new app doesn't load after updating and you have confirmed you have the correct version number (see first post in this thread) then go to SETTINGS>APPS>UBER DRIVER and press FORCE QUIT and accept. Restart app and you should be golden)

4) PROFIT!

Here's some info on the new app (skip the fluff and go straight to #4 if you want to rage). Overall, the app runs much smoother. It's <80 MB, it's using 299 MB of RAM (max 392 MB), it's used 18 MB of data in the past 2 hours and 1% battery usage in the same time frame. I am finding numerous graphics bugs so I'm expecting there to be functionality bugs also:

1) You can still use 3rd party GPS apps
    [​IMG]

2) New options for Speed Limit and turn off audible notification
    [​IMG]

3) New Surge, not in water
    [​IMG]

4) YOU CANNOT SEE NUMERICAL REPRESENTATION OF SURGE NO MATTER HOW FAR YOU ZOOM IN! SURGECHASER IS NOW MANDATORY FOR THIS INFO
    [​IMG]

5) Zoom in enough and you can see actual building shapes
    [​IMG]

6) New Boost Screen in Promotions. Actually entirely new promotions interface that's a bit more intuitive
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7) On home screen, the display at the middle top can be set to display a) Daily Earnings b) Quest Progress c) Weekly Earnings
    [​IMG]

8) New Driving Preferences Screen
    [​IMG]

9) New DF Screen
    [​IMG]

10) New Compliments Page
    [​IMG]

11) ETA to next ping when online & Trip Planner Feature (This ETA does not appear to be a "countdown" style clock, rather it seems like it's a projection based on history. 7 minutes after the below screenshot was taken, the timer only went down 1 minute to 8 minutes. When I enabled Deliveries, eta went down to 4 minutes. 10 minutes without ping later, it still read 4m eta)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12) New Ping Tone, New Ping Info
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (ping w/surge pic coming asap)

13) New Nag Screen
    [​IMG]

14) Map perspective is skewed to give a 3d appearance
    [​IMG]

15) The same business get labeled when you scroll in or move around the map. Maybe they are paying a facilitation fee to be listed on app?
    [​IMG]

16) New Nightmode Interface (Koreatown is surging!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  9. Iann

Iann Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I received the email but did not get the link you're talking about.
    I get a link that takes me to the new changes they made. Not seeing it.

10. delornick94

delornick94 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Nah this isn't working for me. Even though it's crap.

11. Iann

Iann Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
  12. Ant-Man

There are 2 emails they sent out. It seems everyone got the second one, not everyone got the first one.
    Second Email (not the one you want):
    [​IMG]

First email (the one with the link):
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately sharing the link won't help because it contains personalized meta data.

Iann likes this.
  13. Iann

Iann Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Must be the second email. I just checked and didn't receive it.

I'm in Portland Or. Maybe it's rolling out in certain areas.

14. delornick94

delornick94 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Nope. Only got the 2nd one.

15. Skepticaldriver

Skepticaldriver Well-Known Member

Omg. No duh. La. Atlanta. Android only

16. DocT

DocT Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'm in the Los Angeles market, and did not get that first email.

17. Ant-Man

17) That "tell you where you should be driving" feature is a pop-up that shows below online status.
    [​IMG]

18) it now requires 2 taps to go offline, likely intentionally done to create some "accidental" ping accepts. You cannot go offline directly from the home screen, you just first open the "You're online" menu then click offline.

19) Surge/Boost on ping:
    [​IMG]

20) they still send "to die for" quality pings
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Phoenix123 and HudsonDriver4Hire like this.
  18. HudsonDriver4Hire

HudsonDriver4Hire Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the screenshots and info.
    Does it show the Quest/Consecutive Trips progress counter while in a trip?
    I'm assuming the "X" on the top left is the "No Thanks" button?
    Are you able to tap on a business, landmark, or any location on the map, and get the pop-up button to navigate to that location (like we're currently able to do with gas stations)? I've been asking for this feature for a LONG time.
    It's probably too early to tell, but how effective is this feature?
    Are you still able to go offline while in a trip?

19. Skepticaldriver

Skepticaldriver Well-Known Member

Well atleast the last question is important. Because the other questions sound like where uber got their cue for menial adjustments.

20. Ant-Man

No
    Yes, no

More answers soon, got ping