1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ames??

Discussion in 'Des Moines' started by DSMUberite, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Did anyone work Ames? Was it profitable or a joke? Tips? Just drunken college kids?

bobper likes this.
  2. Urban_Uber

Urban_Uber

I gave a few trip ups earlier in the week. When the students come back it was pretty busy. I only had time to give a few rides. I was up in ames at a cook out and was leaving about the time the game got out but didn't give any rides (i had been drinking so there was no reason to chance it). IT was surging up to 3x. However, traffic is a nightmare anyway, i doubt you would be able to give more than a couple of rides in a matter of hours and would need surge pricing to increase the per minute rate.

bobper likes this.
  3. Super girl

Super girl

Driving:
    UberX
    I plan on going up this weekend ill post how it went.

4. bobper

bobper

Driving:
    UberXL
    I won't go anywhere near this area. Way too crowded streets. I tried last weekend it was impossible to get around both before and after the game due to heavy traffic. Who wants to waste gas in heavy traffic?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  5. I have been thinking just stay in Des Moines and pick up any slack that may have been created by a flow of drivers to Ames for a game. Im sure the traffic is at a crawl, the riders are drrrunk and the rides are short.

6. DSMUber

DSMUber

Was Ames seriously surging 6.8x today? Uber sent me an alert text; I'm sure you all got it as well.
    I pulled up the rider app and there were no drivers available in Ames, but it also wasn't surging.

7. I haven't driven in Ames, but my husband drove up today when the surge was 9.9. By the time he got there, the surge was down to 3.0. He gave a few rides. As we both guessed, most of the rides in Ames are short. He didn't feel it was lucrative because of the short distances. The stadium/campus and the bars are relatively close together. So, most rides will be a few miles. Maybe you could get lucky with an Ames rider going to the DSM area. It's been surging in Ames for a couple of hours today (Sat, 9:10 p.m.). It's currently at a 6.9. I think game days like this would be worth it, but I can't imagine Ames being very profitable on an average day--or even on a weekend night without a game or big event happening. Just my 2 cents.

8. bobper

bobper

Driving:
    UberXL
    I took a Rider up to Ames arriving at 9:30 am. I was looking at my rider app which said the surge was at 9.9. I got a ping which i accepted I later learn that no surge on that trip. Uber support claims that the surge went from 9.9x to 1x in that fraction of a second. I took three trips like that before I realized what Uber was doing. I believe it was a fake surge rate to get Des Moines drivers to Ames.

9. Urban_Uber

Urban_Uber

I thought it was crazy to watch the Uber Rider app post game in Ames. As soon as a rider came back up they disappeared with a ride. I suppose you could make some money if you could navigate traffic. The hard part would be if you were only getting 1-2 short trips an hour, not too mention people had been drinking all day and were especially annoying yesterday.

10. Jeff Mathias

Jeff Mathias

Driving:
    UberX
    I tried Ames for the Iowa/ISU game yesterday. The high single digit surges discourage riders so the only trips you get are super short. It can take 30 min or more to get to them through traffic. You can't start your trip due to overtaxed cell towers. They want to overload your car, one party insisted on putting 6 people plus me in my Prius, no way. Students are incredibly reckless. You have to drive 20mph everywhere because they walk directly in front of you without looking.

You can't end the trip without driving away from densely populated areas which is pretty much all of central Ames. Uber wants an email on every trip where this occurs and it is pretty much all trips. Due to the massive # of drivers in town, it did not surge at all for much of the night after the game, so you are racing around doing short unprofitable 1.0 trips as you try to keep your 90% acceptance rate so you get the guarantees.

I've signed up for the guarantees many times but I think this is the first time I will actually be paid on it - had always beat it before. But I figure oh well, I tried it once. I will say most riders were nice and thankful for having Uber in Ames now.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    bobper likes this.
  11. Super girl

Super girl

Driving:
    UberX
    Ames is a nightmare!!! Iowa State students are the most disrespectful college students I have ever had to deal with!! Yes I made good money Saturday night from 11 to 4 am but after being screamed at and had kids literely running out into traffic and almost killing them it wasn't worth it my sanity is worth more than what I made. I wont be going back to Ames again I thought 3rd and court was bad on Friday and Saturday nights that childs play compared to welch and chamberlin in Ames.

Lando74 likes this.
  12. Lando74

Lando74

Driving:
    UberXL
    I don't know, Drake students are right up there in the disrespectful department. I always try to make sure there's at least 5 Uber's between me and the campus.

13. Willzuber

Willzuber

Driving:
    Lyft
    I don't want to start this discussion again but most, I didn't say ALL for those of you who have a burning desire to bash me, college kids are disrespectful. They are demanding. They believe they are entitled and it is getting worse. Spoiled brats.

If you hauled ISU fans Saturday, AFTER the game, perhaps this explains why they were $hitheads. They got their a$$es handed to them by Iowa. Go Hawks! You can expect the same behavior for the rest of the football season. Look for them to have a one win season and they already have that under their belt.

I have picked up a couple of Drake students and they were all very respectful and kind. But, I DID drive during the day.

14. I see mothership is guaranteeing $1000 for Ames this weekend... just a reminder of the headache that must exist and the lack of drivers willing to do it. Not interested.

15. bobper

bobper

Driving:
    UberXL
    I went up last Tuesday 10 pm to midnight. Tried to get the guarantee. Got the .5 trip requirement. Really getting the run around. They don't want to pay me!