Americans Still Fearful of Using Uber and Lyft

MHR

When last we checked in on the ride-sharing biz's post-virus prognosis, the outlook for Uber stockholders wasn't pretty. In May, surveys found that more than half of Americans were anxious about returning to the back seat of a ride share, and that nearly a quarter planned to swear off ridership entirely. Two months later, things don't look much better, as another pair of surveys have found that a significant proportion of Americans may still never hire a ride share again.

CarGurus, one of the original surveyors cited in our May story, ran a followup survey in June that asked 779 Americans for their plans regarding transportation during and after the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. It found that 29.7 percent of Americans plan to reduce their usage of ride shares, up from 28 percent in April, and that while a small number have backed down on their pledge to cease hiring Ubers entirely, the change is minimal, down to 9.6 percent from April's 10 percent. Of this group of respondents, 58 percent plan to substitute personal vehicle use for ride-sharing, signaling a possible worsening of the U.S.'s traffic problems.

A similar survey by ADT found that the majority of Americans are concerned about the cleanliness of ride shares, with 57.6 percent of the 1,005 surveyed reported moderate to extreme worries about whether ride shares are sanitary. Only 6.1 percent reported apathy toward the matter, though they represent a small minority of Americans, most of whom ADT found to be less than friendly toward riding Lyft or Uber even after health orders lift.

Just 25.1 percent of ADT's respondents said they were moderately to extremely likely to use ride shares in the future, whereas 59.3 percent plan to heavily reduce their ridership. Precisely 15.6 percent swore to never hail a ride share again, and no matter how Uber's board members want to frame it, losing close to one-sixth of their customer base in a matter of months is an ugly change of fortune. Perhaps ride-sharing services could tempt some lost customers back by appealing to the 70.6 percent that will only consider riding again if vehicles are sanitized between passengers... Though it sounds like those people might want to look into something called a taxi instead.

Tl;Dr

75% of a small sample of pax still think rideshare vehicles are unsanitary.

SinTaxERROR

When last we checked in on the ride-sharing biz's post-virus prognosis, the outlook for Uber stockholders wasn't pretty. In May, surveys found that more than half of Americans were anxious about returning to the back seat of a ride share, and that nearly a quarter planned to swear off ridership entirely. Two months later, things don't look much better, as another pair of surveys have found that a significant proportion of Americans may still never hire a ride share again.

CarGurus, one of the original surveyors cited in our May story, ran a followup survey in June that asked 779 Americans for their plans regarding transportation during and after the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. It found that 29.7 percent of Americans plan to reduce their usage of ride shares, up from 28 percent in April, and that while a small number have backed down on their pledge to cease hiring Ubers entirely, the change is minimal, down to 9.6 percent from April's 10 percent. Of this group of respondents, 58 percent plan to substitute personal vehicle use for ride-sharing, signaling a possible worsening of the U.S.'s traffic problems.

A similar survey by ADT found that the majority of Americans are concerned about the cleanliness of ride shares, with 57.6 percent of the 1,005 surveyed reported moderate to extreme worries about whether ride shares are sanitary. Only 6.1 percent reported apathy toward the matter, though they represent a small minority of Americans, most of whom ADT found to be less than friendly toward riding Lyft or Uber even after health orders lift.

Just 25.1 percent of ADT's respondents said they were moderately to extremely likely to use ride shares in the future, whereas 59.3 percent plan to heavily reduce their ridership. Precisely 15.6 percent swore to never hail a ride share again, and no matter how Uber's board members want to frame it, losing close to one-sixth of their customer base in a matter of months is an ugly change of fortune. Perhaps ride-sharing services could tempt some lost customers back by appealing to the 70.6 percent that will only consider riding again if vehicles are sanitized between passengers... Though it sounds like those people might want to look into something called a taxi instead.

Tl;Dr

I think this sample can be applied to any form of public transportation, not just ride share... JMO

xl same as it ever was 1-3 pings an hour during busy times and every hour or few during slow times

if i toggle on x or eats to get a healthy dose of laughs it will ping me every minute, after 15 minutes of screenshots, laughter, bowl hits with zero intention of driving it turns to disgust & hatred, then i toggle xl only back on where instead of it being 90+% human trafficking attempts its on 50% human trafficking attempts

Cdub2k

I'd assume that someone who uses their POV for Rideshare would be a cleaner option over a Taxi Cab that gets rented out daily.
Also I think it is safe to assume that the dirty Rideshare cars get phased out via deactivation due to the Rating System.

mbd

Pretty much all the cars are spotless inside ... cleanliness has never been at this cleanliness level in the history of Uber/Lyft. Surveys need to be surveyed.

Reactions: EM1

dauction

Same.

I found it funny the article made this statement, "Though it sounds like those people might want to look into something called a taxi instead."
Yeah the "Author" just has a beef with Uber/Lyft .. the very fact that he posted that Taxis are cleaner is a joke in that that is one of the top things people hate about Taxis, the cars and drivers (no no not all Taxi drivers but boy oh boy there are a lot of "unkempt" taxi drivers out there)

The taxis companies just run the vehicles until the wheels fall off to maximize earnings..it makes me cringe when I hear Uber drivers here on the Forum saying similar .."buy the cheapest POS you can to drive rideshare".

Most Uber/Lyft drivers I believe take pride in their vehicles and keep them well maintained and clean. Yes, I have seen some bad ones like we all have but for the most part everyone care of their vehicles.

Benjamin M

I have been considering pax again, surges have been crazy, but I cannot find disinfectant wipes or spray ANYWHERE.

One would think that companies would have caught up by now, after all this is the "new normal" - right??

I have been considering pax again, surges have been crazy, but I cannot find disinfectant wipes or spray ANYWHERE.

One would think that companies would have caught up by now, after all this is the "new normal" - right??
well you really dont get this from surfaces, so regular armor all scented wipes should do fine theres plenty of those around, pax tend to like the orange scented ones, they actually clean pretty good too...

then sunshine kills it in minutes, which is weird when banning state parks, beaches, camping but then again this whole thing more weird then scary to me appreciate the pua though so go covid go im rooting for it

theyre caught up but typical rich folks gobble it up so they now have cases of it in their badements, pantries, kitchens and might not be gouging but will sell for $1 or few markup on craiglist offer up where they sell out in minutes

now that lysol spray is hard to find so febreeze it is lol

guess you could use bleach but i dont reccomend that on car interior, or some vodka but youd prob get deactivated for smelling like liquor, got some raw sugar hand sanitizer from target, man it smells just like rum but no complaints yet

Benjamin M

well you really dont get this from surfaces, so regular amor all scented wipes should do fine theres plenty of those around, pax tend to like the orange scented ones, they actually clean pretty good too...

then sunshine kills it in minutes, which is weird when banning state parks, beaches, camping but then again this whole thing more weird then scary to me appreciate the pua though so go covid go im rooting for it

theyre caught up but typical rich folks gobble it up so they now have cases of it in their badements, pantries, kitchens and might not be gouging but will sell for $1 or few markup on craiglist offer up where they sell out in minutes

now that lysol spray is hard to find lol
You can absolutely get it from surfaces. What? 😂

You can absolutely get it from surfaces. What? 😂
Coronaviruses on surfaces and objects naturally die within hours to days. Warmer temperatures and exposure to sunlight will reduce the time the virus survives on surfaces and objects. Normal routine cleaning with soap and water removes germs and dirt from surfaces.

"really dont"

spending 10+ minutes in a confined space breathing the same air is how most get it, anyhoo its a strong flu if that if youre not old or weak

survival of the fittests evolution & all that jazz, only an idiot doesnt think EVERYONE wont get it eventially, just gotta hope ya dont die from it.

im sure youll be first in line for the magical vaccine or wait hours in one for it, me im rolling with the herd coughing on everything

"Based on data from lab studies on Covid-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get Covid-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes," CDC said, "but this isn't thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

SleelWheels

Tl;Dr

Fake news

CJfrom619

The boogeyman is real. It's kind of a big deal worldwide. It's basically wiped out a city the size of San Jose, California thus far. And only a tiny percentage of the world is infected so far...
WE KNOW! This is my point. The virus is bad enough. Constantly being the subject of conversation is even worse.

I come to this forum to try and get away from talking about Covid but you can’t escape it unfortunately. Some have a one track mind.