• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Amber Cab!

kcdrvr15

Today I underbid a job.
I still have a website, really well placed in Google Organics.
In this atmosphere I rarely get a call. Don't even answer my phone like a "taxi company" anymore, why bother?
So yesterday a potential customer calls. He names a town and a destination (CLT) and I quote him $60 right off the top of my head.

This morning I'm on the way up to his house and I realized I underbid the job.
When I get to his house, I ran the Google maps to CLT and it came up 28 miles (the short way). That's $72.50 including meter drop.

Now, I'm an ethical business owner. A quote is a quote so I suck it up.
Dude tipped me $12 (20%) so I got paid market rate anyways.
I did the right thing keeping my mouth shut but if he calls back I probably have to admit I made a mistake because I don't want to be locked into a job at this rate.
How would you folks handle this?
I hope I would handle it the way you did.

TwoFiddyMile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope I would handle it the way you did.
I let all my websites expire. In 3.5 years I handed out approximately 1000 business cards.
Back home in Waltham, 1000 business cards would have translated to at least $300 per week revenue regularly.
Here it's bubkiss.
Continuing to seek other avenues of revenue. Juicing lime scooters. Dealing white powder (I kid!).
Yesterday I was logged in for.8 hours and hit a whopping $5 profit after expenses.

Not my most shining moment.

Z129

-:- * -:- * -:- * -:-
I let all my websites expire. In 3.5 years I handed out approximately 1000 business cards.
Back home in Waltham, 1000 business cards would have translated to at least $300 per week revenue regularly.
Here it's bubkiss.
Continuing to seek other avenues of revenue. Juicing lime scooters. Dealing white powder (I kid!).
Yesterday I was logged in for.8 hours and hit a whopping $5 profit after expenses.

There are Food (doordash, postmates, caviar, grubhub), Package (amazon flex) and Grocery (instacart) delivery gigs available. Each will earn you $10-$20 an hour on average and are easy to get onboarded with. Use and toss aside as needed.

TwoFiddyMile

There are Food (doordash, postmates, caviar, grubhub), Package (amazon flex) and Grocery (instacart) delivery gigs available. Each will earn you $10-$20 an hour on average and are easy to get onboarded with. Use and toss aside as needed.
Not in Charlotte. I still make more than the gig economy people here. It's a horrible place I wish I was in Vegas.

Lawlet91

As a fellow cabbie I wish you best luck, only market outside New York cabs seem to still be flourishing is here in Orlando. Feel that will eventually change since Uber will have to eventually fold but it’s gonna be rough until then. If you had the choice to easily migrate to here and run cab I feel you would do fine but that’s unnecessary money just to relocate ofc

TwoFiddyMile

As a fellow cabbie I wish you best luck, only market outside New York cabs seem to still be flourishing is here in Orlando. Feel that will eventually change since Uber will have to eventually fold but it’s gonna be rough until then. If you had the choice to easily migrate to here and run cab I feel you would do fine but that’s unnecessary money just to relocate ofc
I have a mortgage and kids in school.
Otherwise, Orlando and Vegas are at the top of the list.
Vegas has those kickbacks, baby!

Ziggy

but rates have a huge impact.

I can get more fares with uber but make more driving a taxi.

The difference is $2.40 a mile VS 53c a mile

Uber is closer to zero than it is to taxi rates.
Yep ... Uber raced toward $0 relative to its autonomous car project ... the closer it got toward completion the lower they put the rates. Likely Uber will jack the rates after they get rid of the drivers.

The initial concept of Uber ... rates slightly lower than cabs was great, but then they got greedy because on paper they were worth billions ... and they started paying the executives fat bonuses for screwing over drivers. Now the only way to become a millionaire driving Uber is to start with $2M and drive in an oversaturated market like - DC, NYC, Austin, LA, SF ... and within a year or so you'll dwindle your $2M savings into only $1M

Z129

-:- * -:- * -:- * -:-
but rates have a huge impact.

I can get more fares with uber but make more driving a taxi.

The difference is $2.40 a mile VS 53c a mile

Uber is closer to zero than it is to taxi rates.
I was talking about gig-economy jobs that pay better than recharging scooters (which is actually a lot of work if you think about collecting and loading/unloading those things).

TwoFiddyMile

First call of the day did not go well.
It could have gone far worse.
Let me tell you what's worse than the deep hood.
The FAR hood.
We in Charlotte have these inner city neighborhoods which are 9 miles from downtown, no subway etc.
I get a tablet ping to the Denny's on Sunset Road. Dude is going 20 miles.
20 years old. I told him I need $55 in my hand to leave the parking lot.
He says (of course he says this everyone says this) "Mah mom's gonna pay you when we get there".
Nope.
"Ok dude, you just entered Fiddys Pawn shop. You may pawn your phone for this ride. It will remain in my pocket til I receive my $55. No pawned phone, no ride..."
Homey didn't have a mother at the other end. I look like everyones uncle. He refused to hand over his phone.
I refused to drive him.
I was born, but I wasn't born yesterday.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

The FAR hood.
We in Charlotte have these inner city neighborhoods which are 9 miles from downtown, no subway etc.
He says (of course he says this everyone says this) "Mah mom's gonna pay you when we get there".
Nope.
"Ok dude, you just entered Fiddys Pawn shop. You may pawn your phone for this ride. It will remain in my pocket til I receive my $55. No pawned phone, no ride..."
Homey didn't have a mother at the other end. I look like everyones uncle. He refused to hand over his phone.
I refused to drive him.

Nicely handled,

You were never going to get paid for that trip if you drove him.

Disgusted Driver

The FAR hood.
Nope.
I refused to drive him.
Reminds me of my old moving days when we held the big screen tv on the truck till we got paid.

TwoFiddyMile

Funny thing is, he had one of those worthless LG Trac phones. I might have gotten $10 for it at a drop in robotic kiosk.

"But that's my phone, I don't want to lose my PHONE!!!" He kept saying.
Exactly! That's why the pawnshop routine works.
What a friggin scumbag.

kcdrvr15

Here it's bubkiss.

I don't do internet. Personal networking, hand out business cards, about 1000 ever 4 months, now after a year, I'm getting about $500 a week in steady calls for my services. This summer raised my fare rate to $75 hour, min 3 hour charter. And my meter rates to FD$3.9, $2.9 mile, $.50 min. Don't even try to compete with fuber and gryft, going to keep on building my book and using them as a lead generator for more business contacts.

TwoFiddyMile

I hope I don't Jynx myself here...
I feel business is coming back to taxis. I've been making bank for over a month. We haven't had Autumn rush in 4 years, yes this should be the busy season but it's been gone for a long time.

My guess is older pax are sick of Uber/Lyft bullshit like waiting 25 minutes to get a ride or longer at the airport.
I'd swear my daily waybill is around 2012 numbers.
I asked really hope it's back to stay. I want to pay off as much debt as possible.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

I hope I don't Jynx myself here...
I feel business is coming back to taxis. I've been making bank for over a month. We haven't had Autumn rush in 4 years, yes this should be the busy season but it's been gone for a long time.

My guess is older pax are sick of Uber/Lyft bullshit like waiting 25 minutes to get a ride or longer at the airport.
I'd swear my daily waybill is around 2012 numbers.
I asked really hope it's back to stay. I want to pay off as much debt as possible.

Orlando has had a similar boom. But ours has been from the bus authority throwing us paratransit money out the wazoo.