• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Amber Cab!

TwoFiddyMile

Hope I don't Jynx myself...
Moved to Charlotte 2 years ago after selling my cab company up north.

Kept enough to launch a cab here in Charlotte. Yay!
It's been a rough 2 years. First went with Shittycab. Dept. Of Social Services contract work, all hate all the time.
Then the infamous (fake name) Acme Cab. Good contract with one of the biggest over the road truck manufacturers, transporting their transporters. Got a great 12 months out of those 18 months, and 6 really crappy ones. Trucking company signed with Uber.
Finally went with the franchised nationwide Amber cab. At least 15 affiliate cities. Outsourced ICabbi dispatch out of Minneapolis. Call volume I haven't seen since 2012.

Understand, my expenses are the highest around. But for full time owner operators like me, it makes no sense to work 60-75 hours for under minimum wage profits.

With ICabbi I get pings in zone and can bid agressively on bids out of zone. 5 minutes til the no-show button. It's Uber for cabs, on steroids. At taxi rates.

I won't put this in the Charlotte forum because I don't want Uber drivers watering down my pool.

Cab industry is far from dead. We just had to emulate Uber software and BOOM! Explosive call volume.

#NeverUber

TwoFiddyMile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've talked to drivers in this company
For over 2 years. I'm guessing my 19 years of driving and dispatch really help my earnings.
For instance, when I enter a zone, ICabbi tells me how many cabs and what my position is in the queue.

SouthPark is an upscale community with several high end hotels under exclusive contract to my company. Because of this, there are always at least 6 cabs stacked up in the zone.
When you enter a zone like this, I keep driving and find a zone where I'm top in the queue.
I also am developing honey holes where other cabs don't work.
These I will not reveal under any circumstances :smiles:

Captains log stardate Yesterday:
Learned my lesson the previous Saturday. Did errands til 11am, then logged in.
Great first hour, then the doldrums kicked in.
Got lucky about 15:30, ping from Beatties Ford to Lake Wylie SC, $65, 24 miles.
This put me back in the game.
Did annoying ghetto shorties for another few hours then Saturday blew up from 17:30 to 19:00 the kind of SAT pings one would expect from the pre party crowd...
8 hours $200 gross.

I have one grievance; ICabbi is loaded on a Samsung Tab E which is locked into a bracket which is bolted into the dash of my taxi.
I live adjacent to some sweet spots and could easily make a great living off my couch with a device that was not locked and bolted to my dashboard.

Im going to quietly offer to buy a second Tab E and have them load ICabbi on it so I can work from my couch.
I so love my couch.

tohunt4me

I've talked to drivers in this company
For over 2 years. I'm guessing my 19 years of driving and dispatch really help my earnings.
For instance, when I enter a zone, ICabbi tells me how many cabs and what my position is in the queue.

SouthPark is an upscale community with several high end hotels under exclusive contract to my company. Because of this, there are always at least 6 cabs stacked up in the zone.
When you enter a zone like this, I keep driving and find a zone where I'm top in the queue.
I also am developing honey holes where other cabs don't work.
These I will not reveal under any circumstances :smiles:

Captains log stardate Yesterday:
Learned my lesson the previous Saturday. Did errands til 11am, then logged in.
Great first hour, then the doldrums kicked in.
Got lucky about 15:30, ping from Beatties Ford to Lake Wylie SC, $65, 24 miles.
This put me back in the game.
Did annoying ghetto shorties for another few hours then Saturday blew up from 17:30 to 19:00 the kind of SAT pings one would expect from the pre party crowd...
8 hours $200 gross.

I have one grievance; ICabbi is loaded on a Samsung Tab E which is locked into a bracket which is bolted into the dash of my taxi.
I live adjacent to some sweet spots and could easily make a great living off my couch with a device that was not locked and bolted to my dashboard.

Im going to quietly offer to buy a second Tab E and have them load ICabbi on it so I can work from my couch.
I so love my couch.
' Captains Log '

Attachments

TwoFiddyMile

Today I underbid a job.
I still have a website, really well placed in Google Organics.
In this atmosphere I rarely get a call. Don't even answer my phone like a "taxi company" anymore, why bother?
So yesterday a potential customer calls. He names a town and a destination (CLT) and I quote him $60 right off the top of my head.

This morning I'm on the way up to his house and I realized I underbid the job.
When I get to his house, I ran the Google maps to CLT and it came up 28 miles (the short way). That's $72.50 including meter drop.

Now, I'm an ethical business owner. A quote is a quote so I suck it up.
Dude tipped me $12 (20%) so I got paid market rate anyways.
I did the right thing keeping my mouth shut but if he calls back I probably have to admit I made a mistake because I don't want to be locked into a job at this rate.
How would you folks handle this?

Mars Troll Number 4

Today I underbid a job.
I still have a website, really well placed in Google Organics.
In this atmosphere I rarely get a call. Don't even answer my phone like a "taxi company" anymore, why bother?
So yesterday a potential customer calls. He names a town and a destination (CLT) and I quote him $60 right off the top of my head.

This morning I'm on the way up to his house and I realized I underbid the job.
When I get to his house, I ran the Google maps to CLT and it came up 28 miles (the short way). That's $72.50 including meter drop.

Dude tipped me $12 (20%) so I got paid market rate anyways.
I did the right thing keeping my mouth shut but if he calls back I probably have to admit I made a mistake because I don't want to be locked into a job at this rate.
d

I've done this plenty...

1. Step 1. Do it for the rate you promised like you did today.
2. Apologize and admit you messed up the quote... about halfway, HONOR the first price.
3. Stick to your price but admit that the meter will cost him more, and that he won't get it for that price again.
4. Pray your honesty earns you a repeat...
5. Tell them you are going to honor the rate but are going to run the meter to show them what the fare rate is.
A lot of the time people will tip me up to the meter.

TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile
Get out of the cab business if you have the money to start something else.
I don't, or I would.
Today was the kind of day I'd liken to Michael Douglasses day in "Falling Down". An endless string of shitbag pax and incidents.
The Pinnacle was I was transporting these pax wearing detox Johnnies when I stopped and the beggar on the traffic island was swearing at me.
So I broke my own rule and opened the window.
"You m*****f***** you owe me $10!"
He was pissed his wife gave me a massive tip while high on oxy.

Then the detox pax told me "ahh only gots $19" on a $20.50 meter.
Oh and more pal, much more today.

There are reasons I don't carry a gun.

Mars Troll Number 4

I don't, or I would.
Today was the kind of day I'd liken to Michael Douglasses day in "Falling Down". An endless string of shitbag pax and incidents.
The Pinnacle was I was transporting these pax wearing detox Johnnies when I stopped and the beggar on the traffic island was swearing at me.
So I broke my own rule and opened the window.
"You m*****f***** you owe me $10!"
He was pissed his wife gave me a massive tip while high on oxy.

Then the detox pax told me "ahh only gots $19" on a $20.50 meter.
Oh and more pal, much more today.

There are reasons I don't carry a gun.
Been there done that...

Did you get someone who told you they only had $15, cut them a deal and then they hand you a $20 at the end?

that's my favorite scumbag scam...

TwoFiddyMile

Yesterday never really got good.
I rewarded myself with ice cream and chocolate syrup.
Today had a rocky start- ping to the hood for "Snoop".
His posse told me he already jumped.
I hit the gas fast, illegally killed the job by running the meter for.3 blocks cause dispatch can take forever to grant a no-show.
Can't wait til after Easter, holiday weeks are filled with junkies.

Another Uber Driver

Today I underbid a job.

You did it the right way on the initial trip. If he does call back, just tell him what happened. You low-balled it, but, you knew that you were stuck with your quote. Let him know that this time the fare will be_____.

You get many people here who will try to press you into low balling then try to hold you to it. When they ask for a quote, I tell them that it is only an approximation, I might be off by a few dollars and, if the traffic is bad, it will be substantially more. I tell them that they can not hold me to the exact dollar amount of the quote. When they press me, I tell them that I have been around a little to long to let them get away with that. I let them know that I know that they are trying to hustle me and that it is not going to happen.

Been there done that...

Did you get someone who told you they only had $15, cut them a deal and then they hand you a $20 at the end?

that's my favorite scumbag scam...
I have. I keep the twenty. They can scream all that they will. I tell them that a deal becomes no deal when a party to it is discovered to have misrepresented. Rarely will I cut someone a break, anyhow. Most of those people who are trying to get me to cut them a break are people whom I do not want to carry or who are going somewhere that I do not want to go.

i have had people ask me for a break on the meter as if they expected that I was going to do it. Those are the people that I tell "I need to get paid for my time. You want to get paid for your time at your job, correct? If your boss told you to come in thirty minutes early but that he was not going to pay you for it, you would tell him where he could put it. I will not be so vulgar. Instead, I will decline to give you a break. Oh, and I need to see some money now. No money? Do not want to give it to me? You can get out, now."

TwoFiddyMile

Brutal morning.
Woke at 02:37- fought with wife last night to get the kids back in their own bedroom:
"I ask two things from this family: nearly unlimited work hours, and a very early bedtime. Neither request gets honored..."
Very well then.
Up at 2:37, quick shower, coffee in cab. Noticed a time a ways north so I started aiming in that direction.
The "Island Mountain" zone is huge, I went to the wrong end of the zone. No big deal.
Hit the arrived button. Called the pax's cell- no answer. Left a text- no answer.
Hit the no-show button, moved on.
Ping- 5 mile chase. Got most of the way there, cancelled. No big deal, my house is a mile away.
I'm USING THE FACILITIES and pax #1 calls my cell (note the New Jersey area code)..."hey man, can you come.BACK?"
um, no. Enjoy the rain.
Poured a bowl of cereal to eat in the cab.
Ping #3
5 mile chase to a gas station.
Pax approaches my window.with a stupid smile, never a good sign.
"How much to 123 anytown St?"
Ran Google Maps, it's $12.
"Ahh only gots $6.
GTHO.

I've had 3 jobs out of 7 come through today.
Now just did a super long chase to a lady who already missed her flight. Jumpstart her car for $30? Deal!

Should never have gotten out of bed.

TwoFiddyMile

It gets better. I get a ping to a local welfare hotel...lots of them here in the West End.
Lady asks "do you charge me to turn around?"
I say yes, meter starts when everyone gets in.
Pulls her baby out of the cab says "turn the cab around on your dime, I ain't rich..."
Now I'm laughing and swearing to my empty cab as I do a three point turn.
But wait, there's more!
After she berates me for MY attitude, she says (100 meters before the highway exit) "let me off here. I only got $7.50".
I.told her "I can't let a baby off on the highway, pay me the $7.50 and I'll get you up to the burger king parking lot".
Now it's $8.50. I don't care, I'm a parent. I'm not dumping a baby off on the highway.
Now she calls me a *** and a ************ and a few more endearing terms for "going so slow you made the meter go up".
I pointed out the dashcam as she threatened to turn me in. "We are both held accountable for our language, young lady. Smile, you are on video..."
I had to ask her 3 times for the money. I got $7.
Oorah.

TwoFiddyMile

Shitheads abound.
Last pax was a timecall- she wasn't going far but it's all good.
We get to this cul de sac and she says "this is good. Imma little short ahh only gots $6".
Meter read $7.50.
"Thats totally not ok. If you knew you were gonna come up a buck fifty short you should have told me half a mile ago".
Her -"you don't have to gimme ATTITUDE..."
"Oh yes I do. That's my KIDS you're stealing from..."
I gave her the Twofiddymile stink eye and she reached into her pocket for another $2.
"Now hand me that $8, and I'll gladly return these two quarters to you please and thank you have a blessed day".
Or not.
What a low life.

tohunt4me

Shitheads abound.
Last pax was a timecall- she wasn't going far but it's all good.
We get to this cul de sac and she says "this is good. Imma little short ahh only gots $6".
Meter read $7.50.
"Thats totally not ok. If you knew you were gonna come up a buck fifty short you should have told me half a mile ago".
Her -"you don't have to gimme ATTITUDE..."
"Oh yes I do. That's my KIDS you're stealing from..."
I gave her the Twofiddymile stink eye and she reached into her pocket for another $2.
"Now hand me that $8, and I'll gladly return these two quarters to you please and thank you have a blessed day".
Or not.
What a low life.
At least she didnt jump and run.