1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Amazon -- YOU'RE WASTING YOUR MONEY!

Discussion in 'Flex' started by soupergloo, Aug 26, 2017.

1. soupergloo

soupergloo Well-Known Member

they've had me go to the exact same address as another driver on more than one occasion before.

shockingly -- today they actually assigned me a route with a 1-hour for my 8 AM route, hopefully the trend continues.

2. champ.49er

champ.49er Member

How does one scan a route that hasn't been assigned yet?

Another question - how do you trade stops with another driver? It seems like once I've been assigned, I don't see any options to change the route.

3. soupergloo

you have to scan the entire route they assign to you first & "swipe to finish" and then the person you want to trade with will be able to scan it in.

4. grams777

grams777 Moderator Moderator

It's really getting bad here now. 1 hours are commonly being assigned to 2 - 4 hour block drivers. They are also not combined anymore with a route. They go by themselves. They can happen any time even near the route start times: 9:56, 10:04, 9:48 for example. You can also be pinged with one even when you are 15 minutes away after finishing another route.

In a typical 2 hour block start, there will be maybe 20 drivers at the warehouse with a 2 - 4 hour block. 10 will get a route. 5 will get a single one hour stop only. 5 will get nothing and wait for a one hour. You'll be lucky to get a block half the time.

Also the routes you do get are far away and nearly impossible to make it back for the next route. There are some carts that have several nearby stops with time to get back, but those are almost never assigned to the drivers I know. They are usually still there when I leave.

A couple times when I didn't have a route, I scanned in one of those 'preferred easy routes' and just did it. After doing those, I'm pretty sure there's some preference system. I don't ever remember doing such reasonably timed and located routes otherwise.

The problem with just taking one is that every once in awhile when you do that they'll also send you a one hour that you were actually assigned which may be unrelated.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. soupergloo

be careful when doing that, they're threatening to deactivate drivers for scanning routes that weren't assigned to them over here.

secretlurker and grams777 like this.

6. grams777

It's hard now anyway because they'll often force a different one hour on you also. It's interesting how those easy routes seem to never get assigned to me normally though. Deactivation isn't so much of a worry anyway when you're stuck at $18 an hour most of the day with one hours.

Quite a few drivers here go the whole day like that at $18 for one hours only even on 2-4 hour blocks.

With the amazon tip holdback, you never see any tips on one hours here. Always $18/hr.

Here's a real life example. You're at the warehouse for a 2 hour block, checked in around 10-15 minutes prior (doesn't really matter anymore if one hour before or 5 minutes after) - you get assigned this one hour: 40 miles and 60 minutes round trip travel time. Your pay: $18 = .45 per mile assuming $0 per hour for time.

This happens to you about half of your blocks. Although, the distances probably average about half that.

Now here's the kicker. There's a two hour route unassigned just sitting there that can easily be done on the way back with plenty of time to spare. The one hour will get there just as fast. The route is right by the travel path.

Before the days of the remote assignment, the warehouse would simply combine them both. Now, they will use two drivers for the same thing.

7. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

This.
    This is what Happens
    When the Captain of a ship
    Has never worked in the Engine Room.

Management should have to work their way up.
    To understand the positions which they manage.

8. secretlurker

secretlurker New Member

One hours with routes is coming, be careful what you wish for. Yes, deactivation with taking an unassigned route is probable. The assigning you see is by design, those short routes are for drivers that check in the next half hour. The rest are for these types of one hours. Everything is generated except the assignments. So, tis why they threaten deactivation.

9. soupergloo

personally I think it's ****ing stupid; let's threaten to deactivate them for doing deliveries, but let's also deactivate them for not doing deliveries and call it "not being available to work during your block."

grams777 likes this.
  10. grams777

Another twist here is they make the drivers stand around for up to 15-20 minutes into the block while there are still about 5 routes unassigned sitting there. Apparently they're making divers wait while they see if some one hours drop so they can give those out first.

Only as a last resort as time passes and the route gets tight will they give up those last routes. So now, by burning off every possible minute, almost every driver with a route has little chance to be back on time for another one.

There seems to be some renewed excitement by Amazon to have everyone drop everything and bow down to the one hours. Maybe they like that they get the $8 delivery fee plus the tips for themselves on them. That's only $5 left they pay the driver out of their pocket.

It looks like it takes twice as many drivers to do it this way though.

11. soupergloo

yes, exactly! this was why I started taking unassigned routes because i'd wait 30-45 minutes into the delivery block with nothing assigned to me even though there were clearly leftover routes and Amazon would end up assigning it to me eventually any way giving me less than an hour and a half to do a full route. i've since stopped though after threatening emails started going out.

the other morning, a driver picked up a 9:30-11 AM shift and Amazon had a leftover 8-10 AM route that ended up getting assigned to him; he was late on every single delivery at no fault of his own, but he was easily risking deactivation because of it.

grams777 likes this.
  12. grams777

On one of my recent one hour during a 2 hour block foolishness trips, I took about a 10 minute break at a nearby coffee shop with destination filters on Uber and Lyft. I got an $11 ride part of the way back.

I wouldn't do this all the time. Just when it's relatively far away and you would still be back in time for routes if there is one. I've noticed you need to be able to wait around a little for a better chance at the DF kicking in. Just hurrying back with it on seems to not work very well. Don't be selective either - take X / Xl / Lyft or whatever. There's no time to wait just for the premium XL / Select / Plus only.

That's not too bad for the work really. 1 flex stop, a coffee break, and a DF trip for almost $50 in 2 hours. Around here you need to have at least a 5-6 stop route to beat that with far more work and driving.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 2:37 PM
  13. soupergloo

lol, but what if Amazon would have sent you something during your ride? that would be my fear.

14. grams777

I'll get there when I get there. The delays involved aren't more than about 5 /10 minutes once you have the extra ride.

Also, the situations where this is best is like when you started the 2 hour block, and got a one hour. Now you drop it off, you're about 20+ minutes away and routes don't start for another hour. It's possible you'd get pinged that far at that time for another one hour. But it's unlikely. Even so, the time difference won't really matter once you have a ride on destination filter. Much of time time the assignments aren't even ready for awhile.

I wouldn't do it, say, dropping off something at 1:40 being within 20 minutes of the warehouse.

I'm not the only one...I got the advice from someone else doing it. Lol

At our location, nobody seems to know what's going on. It's not uncommon to see packages and routes sit there for 15-30 minutes after assignment before the driver shows up - even when there are 5 drivers on the clock waiting right there.

You couldn't do this before the remote assignment crap started because the site was on top of who was getting what when. Then again you didn't get solo one hours on regular blocks like now either so it wasn't an issue.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 3:26 PM
  15. soupergloo

oooh gotcha, the only time I tried double dipping was during an Amazon restaurant block while also taking Uber Eats requests; most stressful 2 hours of my life because both platforms were really busy haha.