1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Amazon fake packages to catch thieves

Discussion in 'Flex' started by Nsaudra, Sep 20, 2018.

1. So basically they are giving out dummy packages, when scanned they don't work show an error and see if they get returned.
    I never thought about keeping them, I mean sometimes I return the next day cause I dont want to drive 40 mins out of the way for free to return who does that?

https://bgr.com/2018/09/20/amazon-trap-for-drivers-stealing-packages/

2. oicu812

oicu812

I knew about this long ago.

The dummy packages are randomly inserted into a route (a bag specifically).

For flex: If you scan the bag and load everything, you will not know if you have the dummy package. If you fail to return, they know you kept it. Loss prevention knows the route the dummy package was inserted into.

For van drivers: Since van drivers don't need to scan the bags during load out, drivers will get tagged if they failed to return the package(s) since the package(s) will be extra(s) and not in their itinerary.

I also have pictures of the dummy package labels.

I think it was last year that someone from corporate loss prevention was at DLA3 for a short bit. He was probably going from station to station.

3. ScubaMark

ScubaMark

I started scanning the bags the last 2 weeks, instead of scanning every package, and have had 3 extra packages. They were all valid deliveries and I caught 2 early enough that I did not have to backtrack. The last one I had to go back 10 mins. Luckily it was on the way home so no big deal.

Just the same, I’m going back to scanning every package as I load. Canning the bags has only saved me 5 mins or so.

Cynergie likes this.
  4. evangil

evangil

For the extra package, I usually use Google Maps to find the address and Delivery it. Is this also a theft?

Cynergie likes this.
  5. uberer2016

uberer2016

Driving:
    Lyft
    I never knew this. I would be very upset if I find an extra package in my car after I have completed all deliveries. I always scan the bag and so far, i dont think i've gotten any extra packages.

They shouldn't use this method to catch thieves because it's a big hassle for the driver to have to return to the warehouse with the package.

No. That's actually good work on your part. I think you should call support and give them the tba number first.

6. evangil

evangil

When you are finished, you can't call support at the flex app.

7. uberer2016

uberer2016

Driving:
    Lyft
    I just google the amazon flex driver support number. It works.

8. ScubaMark

ScubaMark

I scanned them all in while on route using “Pickup” then delivered them.

Before I deliver my last or last two, I see what I still have on board and see if it matches the itenirary.

9. Lee239

Lee239

why doesn't Amazon put in dummy packages and deliver them to willing places that have had thefts and inside when it's opened there is a message that contents are toxic and they need to call a number if they did not use proper opening procedures emailed to them. or have a tracking device in them. That's more likely who's stealing packages. People from doorsteps.

Why would anyone be stupid enough to mess up their background check by stealing a package and never being able to do even an Uber gig.

Plus they should let you return it the next day so you don't have to waster your gas that night for people with these dummy packages and make you report it.

10. oicu812

oicu812

You can call Flex driver support @ 877-472-7562 directly.

Call them and have them marked delivered.

The dummy package has an invalid TBA number and a dummy address. You won't be able to google the address as it doesn't exist. The test is to see if the driver returns it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  11. oicu812

oicu812

There is no strict guidelines as to returning the package right away. Next morning is typical ok with most warehouses I've seen.

Lee239 likes this.
  12. uberer2016

uberer2016

Driving:
    Lyft
    I got the dummy package today (what a coincidence!) I think the address is real since it did show up on waze and google maps. I wanted to deliver it but I couldnt scan it and support couldnt assign it to me so I had to return it. Less work for me!! :)

13. oicu812

oicu812

Sometimes those nav apps go to the closest actual address but no such address exist.

14. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston

Scanning the “bag” and not the packages? I’m confused. Where I am they will you a bunch of packages on a rack and you have to scan each one individually prior to leaving the warehouse.

Cynergie and The Gift of Fish like this.
  15. oicu812

oicu812

Then it doesn't apply to where you're at. It's only at warehouses that uses bags for the routes. Logistics van drivers would have a hard time loading their route if all they had are racks of packages without them being inside bags.

16. Not an issue on Flex. If the package scans an error at the warehouse, I don't put it in my car. It gets left at the warehouse and is not in the total package number I give to the vest at the exit door.

17. Kodyhead

Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
  18. ScubaMark

ScubaMark

Both happens in dfw. Sometimes you get a cart of packages and you have to scan each. Sometimes you get a couple of packages and a couple of bags.

19. We get some bags in dc. There's a scan code on the outside of the bag. Thing is, you need to see how many packages you have before scanning the bag, then if the total jumps 10, for example, make sure you have 10 in the bag. Saves so much time.

20. oicu812

oicu812

Problems I've encountered when scanning the bag is that I had one missing package and an extra which I found out later during the route.