Am I missing something?

Hinata84

Hi everyone,
I am new here, took me hell of a time to register to everything uber was asking, but yesterday i have done my first trip :wink:.

I read a lot of topic in this forum and I see many of you unhappy with uber. In my case i will just drive from my work to the CBD where I live and took one passenger or two every night, so my case is a bit different i think than those who do that as a full time job

My main concern at the moment is that I dont want to miss anything, like I just realise that I needed an ABN an a GST (uber didnt told me about that but i think its compulsory) so that s done i just finish all the paper work 5 min ago, i wasn t really sure for some question (like gst only for the abn or fuel tax credit i hope its not vital). I also read that I may be not cover by my insurrance.

Sorry I am new and I just want to do think in the correct order to don t have any problem with ATO (like should i wait til i receive abn) or insurance or the one I haven t think yet... or is uber really evil, should i stop trying to start... So please if you have some beginner advise, or anything, just hit me.

DMD2016

Hinata84, Is your car have omnibus licences & 3F insurance ? Need to compilants to DOT in 4 July 2016. If not you will risk big fine from DOT as Uber will not inform the drivers about regulations.
You need register for ABN & GST. You pay full fare on GST. Read forum about GST or look up ATO website for this.
Hope that help

UberDriverAU

You'll need to have your car registered as a "Charter Vehicle" if you haven't already. Have a read of this:

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/taxis/charter-vehicles.asp

Assuming you car passes the required inspections first time, the cost is $94.85/year for the inspection and $272/year for the Charter Vehicle licence.

If Uber tells you this isn't required, they are lying to you, and you can be fined (~$2,000 from memory) if you carry paying passengers without a Charter Vehicle licence.

Geely Gangster

Hi H84 don't worry it will all be ok. Like yourself most drivers are part time. It's good that you did some homework and got a ABN number and registered for GST because if u didn't that's when u can get in trouble..
2 questions and a bit of advise.
1. Have u registerd with the ATO as a sole trader? I hope and assume so?
2. Have you registerd with Ato for monthly or quarterly GST returns?
Advise for newbies keep a log book of all milage for your car and keep all receipts in a easy organise file.

Pp23

Now factor in all of the above and decide if it's still worth it ,driving a couple of strangers on your way home from work.

Hinata84

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I register with ATO as sole trader, and my GST is quarterly, that s for the good point.
considering the omnibus licence... I don t think I have that, I do have an F extension, but its probably different. Same for the 3F insurrance, mine is a regular comprehensive car insurance (the one that uber check and take picture of for the file). My car pass an inspection via uber but it was free and I haven t pay $272, So far i just pay for the F extention around $100 and the medical test.
Registering with uber was already ennoying, but having to go for more paperwork sound really boring.

Especially if they're going in the opposite direction!!!!
I work in the airport and I finish when international flight arrive, they all go in an hotel in the CBD most of the time.

Potsy

I register with ATO as sole trader, and my GST is quarterly, that s for the good point.
considering the omnibus licence... I don t think I have that, I do have an F extension, but its probably different. Same for the 3F insurrance, mine is a regular comprehensive car insurance (the one that uber check and take picture of for the file). My car pass an inspection via uber but it was free and I haven t pay $272, So far i just pay for the F extention around $100 and the medical test.
Registering with uber was already ennoying, but having to go for more paperwork sound really boring.

I work in the airport and I finish when international flight arrive, they all go in an hotel in the CBD most of the time.
So it seems like Uber are hiring new drivers telling them all the happy stuff about what a wonderful opportunity it is but not making everyone aware of the regulations and requirements.
Something should be done about this because it is you, the driver, who will be prosecuted if compliance officers stop and check you.
DOT should intervene here as it looks like uber is playing a really dodgy game. They've got our backs allright.

Hinata84

Well last time I ve been in uber office was 1st of july so the law wasn t out. A friend of mine who s drive too hasn t heard of any change. But yes indeed its a bit dodgy from uber to not let us know about the change of law.
So if i want to carry on uber I need this omnibus stuff which will cost around 375 and a 3f insurance apparently. That s annoying, may be I will just stop after those 3-4 trips i ve already done. But still i will need to report for gst and all and i just register for an abn. What a mess!

Potsy

Well last time I ve been in uber office was 1st of july so the law wasn t out. A friend of mine who s drive too hasn t heard of any change. But yes indeed its a bit dodgy from uber to not let us know about the change of law.
So if i want to carry on uber I need this omnibus stuff which will cost around 375 and a 3f insurance apparently. That s annoying, may be I will just stop after those 3-4 trips i ve already done. But still i will need to report for gst and all and i just register for an abn. What a mess!
New regs started 4th july so even if you went in on 1st july they should still have a duty to inform you properly.
If the income was good then I'm sure we wouldn't mind doing all this extra paperwork but the money is not good which makes it all a big hassle.

So it seems like Uber are hiring new drivers telling them all the happy stuff about what a wonderful opportunity it is but not making everyone aware of the regulations and requirements.
Something should be done about this because it is you, the driver, who will be prosecuted if compliance officers stop and check you.
DOT should intervene here as it looks like uber is playing a really dodgy game. They've got our backs allright.

I was at Subi as recently as friday, and they're yet to inform me that an omnibus license even exists, or that I need to register an ABN and for GST, BAS etc.

If it weren't for this forum, I'd be in a world of trouble if DOT or the ATO wanted to have a chat

UberPig

I was at Subi as recently as friday, and they're yet to inform me that an omnibus license even exists, or that I need to register an ABN and for GST, BAS etc.

If it weren't for this forum, I'd be in a world of trouble if DOT or the ATO wanted to have a chat
And this is how Uber works.... (or not as the case may be) You will understand the distrust and dislike most here have for Uber. And I think it will get worse (if it follows the happenings in the USA)
I'm out... and that was only paying 20% commission!!! Not worth it...

Hinata84

I just mail Uber to know if I had all the paper done for my account and if i needed a special insurance or an omnibus license, and how should arrange to pay my tax. And also why they keep asking me for the F Extension Receipt (not required for activation) when i already gave then the f extention.
I will inform you when i will receive an answer (I think its better to deal by mail as I can keep a copy).
It a bit low dishonest to take 20& as commission and not be able to provide a clear information in exchange, they are going to get sue one day or an other.
Anyway I just look to register for an omnibus licence, and I think but I am not sure that the 3F insurrance is include in the licence, am I right? so the extra cost will be 272 + the inspection.
Also if I sell my car do I have to repay for a new licence or just redo the inspection.

Last edited:

UberDriverAU

I just mail Uber to know if I had all the paper done for my account and if i needed a special insurance or an omnibus license, and how should arrange to pay my tax. I will inform you when i will receive an answer (I think its better to deal by mail as I can keep a copy).
It a bit low dishonest to take 20& as commission and not be able to provide a clear information in exchange, they are going to get sue one day or an other.
Anyway I just look to register for an omnibus licence, and I think but I am not sure that the 3F insurrance is include in the licence, am I right? so the extra cost will be 272 + the inspection.
Also if I sell my car do I have to repay for a new licence or just redo the inspection.
Each vehicle needs its own omnibus licence. So if you get another car, that's another $272 + $94.85. You can change from 3F back to 1A if you stop using a car for Uber, and I believe DOT will refund the resulting credit.

UbeRay

Car Insurance needs to be looked at also. Some insurers do not cover ride sharing. Allianze and SGIO do for 20 hours average per week when carrying passengers. Check your PDS for your insurance. If required Change before you have an accident.
So this is a separate issue to the 3F Third Party insurance that is required with your Omnibus Licence.

oscardelta

Especially if they're going in the opposite direction!!!!
This is the part that I don't get. I hear people saying they just do a few trips in their free time like it's no big deal. I've even heard people saying they do a few rides on their way to their regular job. I'm not sure how this works since you don't have any idea where the trip is going to take you. You may end up 20 or 30 miles in the opposite direction. Then what do you do? I guess you drive your empty car back to wherever you need to be, which makes the whole exercise seem kind of pointless.

Or maybe you get a couple of short trips, but the odds of even those short trips lining up in such a way that you will be dropping off your last ride in a location that is where you need to be are pretty slim as well. So you do a couple of short trips, netting less than $20, and drive your empty car back to where you need to be. Again, pointless.

The rates and the overall randomness of where the trips will take you don't really justify that kind of strategy

whocareaboutPAX

This is the part that I don't get. I hear people saying they just do a few trips in their free time like it's no big deal. I've even heard people saying they do a few rides on their way to their regular job. I'm not sure how this works since you don't have any idea where the trip is going to take you. You may end up 20 or 30 miles in the opposite direction. Then what do you do? I guess you drive your empty car back to wherever you need to be, which makes the whole exercise seem kind of pointless.

Or maybe you get a couple of short trips, but the odds of even those short trips lining up in such a way that you will be dropping off your last ride in a location that is where you need to be are pretty slim as well. So you do a couple of short trips, netting less than $20, and drive your empty car back to where you need to be. Again, pointless.

The rates and the overall randomness of where the trips will take you don't really justify that kind of strategy
in Perth you can...

lui6155

in Perth you can...
Of course u can and cop the dot 14k fines.!
Uber HQ are sticking to their script of disagreeing with all of the DOT changes but are not saying (at least publicly) what their preferred options are, thus confusing us poor drivers esp the part timers and newbies.
But the REALITY is that for part timers ur will be prosecuted as the "period of grace" offered up by DOT must surely lapse soon. Uber cannot get your back any more .

Because the DOT changes protect the pax and the industry I am telling pax to ask their next driver if they comply and if they do not report them.
What do others think.