• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Am I Liable for "squishers" ?

TheDriver2011

All too often, passengers try to squish 4-5 in the backseat of my car (it seats 3). Obviously, this is illegal, as each passenger must have a seatbelt. But who is liable?

Is it the passengers themselves? They're 18+. They're accountable for themselves and their own actions.
Is it me? I'm the driver, and I have a responsibility for the safety of my passengers.

I don't know if this varies state-by-state, but I'm inquiring about Texas law.

SHRPR

So the real question here is how do you talk to a customer who wants to squish in your car? How do you tell them they cant do this?

rbkg40

So the real question here is how do you talk to a customer who wants to squish in your car? How do you tell them they cant do this?
Tell them it is against the law. Seatbelts = passengers that can ride. You will not be subjected to getting a ticket because they want to save a few bucks. If they have issue with it kick them out, drive off and cancel. Remember it is not there license and vehicle on the line, it's yours.

Seahawk3

All too often, passengers try to squish 4-5 in the backseat of my car (it seats 3). Obviously, this is illegal, as each passenger must have a seatbelt. But who is liable?

Is it the passengers themselves? They're 18+. They're accountable for themselves and their own actions.
Is it me? I'm the driver, and I have a responsibility for the safety of my passengers.

It's two different things in my state of Montana riders over 18 kid be ticketed for failure to wear seatbelt but what you're talking about is too many passengers for the number of seats available and that is your responsibility.

HotUberMess

What? You tell them to call an XL. Then they say “awww come on mannnnn” and then you say get out of my car, you know the rules.

Then if they still don’t get out, you pull out your best psycho killer impression and yell at them to GET THE **** OUT OF MY CAR.

Seriously if I can do it to five frat guys from the local university, you can do it.

If they’re dangerous, like really dangerous, you do whatever you have to to stay safe, including squish and drive. But most people who pull that crap are entitled puffballs, they won’t do squat.

drive4lyft69

I had this happen once. I realized what was going on, and I politely said no. They were fine with it- there was a ton of people there heading to a wedding reception and the extra person hopped into someone else’s Uber

If I pull up and see three or more milling about, especially at night, my first question is, "how many people?" - before the door is unlocked, and I'm positioned so I can easily drive away - i.e. I don't block myself anywhere or go into dead end driveways . (important with every pickup actually)

If it's more than four I just say "No, you'll need to order XL" - and cancel reason too many riders.

I don't discuss it or let them chat about it, because if they split it up and I take half they'll give a low rating. I just leave, cancel, on to the next. That's it. The less you hang around and the less you chat the less ammo/memory they have to make up something false to report. - and I'm not wasting my time.

AuxCordTherapy

Does Uber give the cancelation fee if you click on “too many riders”? And I’m assuming if they do the full 5 minutes doesn’t have to be up for you to get it?

Seamus

I would think an accident lawyer would focus more on suing uber jmo
Having a good friend who is an ambulance chasing shark of an attorney he said "a good attorney will start by suing everybody involved including you the driver". Of course Uber is the main pocketbook but it doesn't mean you get off free and clear especially because the driver CREATED the negligence by allowing more than legal passengers.

You grow a pair, and TELL them what they can and cannot do in your car. Too many riders, sorry someone's gotta get out. Call for a 2nd car or cancel and request an XL.

I'll "squish" too much crap into my trunk, but not too many pax into my car.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

On taxi..

I tell them only 4. Call another car, call an uber, I don't care. It only blew up in my face one time, and that lady had like 6 kids (4 that needed car seats under florida law)

On uber, i would cancel on the spot and run like heck.

Not worth the bad rating.

Trump Economics

I would default to my gut if it was me. That means I am responsible for everyone in my car — making sure they arent carrying drugs, drinking alcohol, etc. If I get pulled over with no dash cam, the cop isn’t gonna believe I didn’t know what was occuring right next to me.

If the passenger isn’t willing to wear a seatbelt, end the ride.

Fauxknight

The weirdest squishers I had was when there were just 4 pax and all of them wanted to get in the back seat. I'm like, "I may be repugnant, but one of y'all has to sit up here with me."

Never do more than your 4 limit for X.

doyousensehumor

Then if they still don’t get out, you pull out your best psycho killer impression and yell at them to GET THE **** OUT OF MY CAR.
Haha that brings back memories! I said those exact words the way you describe, back in my cab days, and pax literally said to one of his buddies, "dude, this guy is not messing around"

Happened all the time by the dorms. I'd see 5 pax, lock the doors. Ask them how many, they say 4. Unlock doors. 5 get in. I say 1 has to get out. They say its ok with us, just go. I only tell them to all get out once nicely.

Kodyhead

Having a good friend who is an ambulance chasing shark of an attorney he said "a good attorney will start by suing everybody involved including you the driver". Of course Uber is the main pocketbook but it doesn't mean you get off free and clear especially because the driver CREATED the negligence by allowing more than legal passengers.
Let me rephrase

It's not suing its about settling I would think most accident lawyers do not want to go to trial

You can sue the driver but unless they got crazy amount of assets which I doubt if they are driving uber I doubt a lawyer would even want to spend that much time jmo