Am I covered in a different state?

uberator

Happy 4th! Hope you all hitting that surge today.
I want to get a rideshare insurance in PA from Erie or Prog. I sometimes take people to to DE or NJ and then do rides there. I assume that whenever Uber accepts a ride it automatically agrees to cover me there, right? Am I also going to be covered nationwide with my own rideshare insurance?

Thanks!

SEAL Team 5

Happy 4th! Hope you all hitting that surge today.
I want to get a rideshare insurance in PA from Erie or Prog. I sometimes take people to to DE or NJ and then do rides there. I assume that whenever Uber accepts a ride it automatically agrees to cover me there, right? Am I also going to be covered nationwide with my own rideshare insurance?

Thanks!
If you want 100 different answers you came to the right place. If you want the correct answer ask your agent.

uberator

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh wow, and I thought it would be smart to trust people's experience more than the agents', who, frankly don't have too much experience with rideshare.

MGB001

Hey, Uberator. I received your message about Rideshare/TCN insurance in PA. There are currently only two companies that provide "hybrid" policies in PA. DO NOT sign up with Progressive; they are not Rideshare friendly at all. The two companies that offer policies are Erie and Geico. I have contacts at both. Rates are reasonable. My Erie quote was about $1600 for the year, with $500 deductibles and catastrophic liability coverage of $1M. Geico has a very similar rate. As for Uber's insurance that is provided by James River, it covers you in two ways. 1. If you are logged in and waiting for a ping, James River provides a limited coverage (you can find the numbers on the Uber help page or just google). 2. If you are enroute to pick up a rider (accepted the request in the app) OR have a rider in your vehicle, James River coverage increases to about the level of a full commercial policy. The deductible is $1000, though, and there is no rental reimbursement. Let me know if you need any more info. As for agents, I do have contacts at both Erie and Geico. If you're interested, we can email privately. Good Luck!! M

uberator

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hey M, thanks for the answer! So I am a little confused now. Is your Erie a personal with rideshare option or commercial option? Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that there are three options now
A) personal insurance: not covered when uber app is on
B) personal with rideshare: does not work when ride accepted and passenger is on board
C) full commercial: works all the time, therefore does it help extra while uber policy is on??? Is it really worth it?

SEAL Team 5

oh wow, and I thought it would be smart to trust people's experience more than the agents', who, frankly don't have too much experience with rideshare.
So by your answer I highly doubt you even have the rideshare endorsement insurance. Don't have an accident that's your fault or the fault of an uninsured.