Uber Drivers Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts
It's federal law. Lyft does not want to get sued and is just complying with federal law. If you want want to use your vehicle for hire you have to accept service dogs. Why are people so angry about this??
Because they are frigging ******s who want to be angry all the time.

They drive a cab for $$$ and complain about driving a cab for $$$.

If you WANTED to do it, they wouldn't have to pay you. They pay you because it's something you wouldn't ordinarily do without incentive.

This is a good rule, unless they are a bona fide service animal. and don't accept pax with below 4.5 rating. Done deal. Then there is a good chance that if you pick up a dog, other drivers have agreed that it is a legit service animal.
Unfortunately as it stands now, Uber/Lyft aren't giving drivers the choice even if they do consider us "independent contractors" and that's the real issue. As many are aware, a pax can just as easily whine/lie to CSR that their pet is a service animal without any proof and get a driver deactivated for not picking them up.

I also don't pick up pax below a certain rating, but there might be somebody with a who's new to the platform. Still pretty much a crapshoot.

Unfortunately as it stands now, Uber/Lyft aren't giving drivers the choice even if they do consider us "independent contractors" and that's the real issue. As many are aware, a pax can just as easily whine/lie to CSR that their pet is a service animal without any proof and get a driver deactivated for not picking them up.

I also don't pick up pax below a certain rating, but there might be somebody with a who's new to the platform. Still pretty much a crapshoot.
Federal law doesn't give you a choice, Uber/Lyft are just complying with federal regulations. They don't want to be sued.

And a pax can also say that you were drunk without any proof and get you deactivated. Uber/Lyft driver support is subpar, I agree with that. However making drivers aware of the service animal laws is what they must do.

There is nothing in the law in any state that says that you cannot protect your car when asked to transport a real or fake service animal. What we do is keep a large heavy duty plastic drop cloth in the trunk of our cars at all times. When a passenger tries to bring in a service animal we put down the plastic sheets over our nice leather seats and carpeting and up the back of our front seats. If the passenger is bringing in a fake service dog their ego will typically not allow them to sit on a plastic sheet in the car. They typically cancel rather than sit on a plastic sheet. But they cannot claim that they were refused service. We have also used the plastic sheet for drunk people who we feel will vomit. Once again they are not happy about it, but they cannot claim that we cancelled on them. There is nothing in Uber or Lyfts community guidelines that says that we cannot put down plastic sheets to protect our cars. If a dog sheds or scratches or a drunk pukes you can roll up the $2.00 plastic sheet and throw it out and you don't have to deal with the cleaning fees run around.

There is nothing in the law in any state that says that you cannot protect your car when asked to transport a real or fake service animal. What we do is keep a large heavy duty plastic drop cloth in the trunk of our cars at all times. When a passenger tries to bring in a service animal we put down the plastic sheets over our nice leather seats and carpeting and up the back of our front seats. If the passenger is bringing in a fake service dog their ego will typically not allow them to sit on a plastic sheet in the car. They typically cancel rather than sit on a plastic sheet. But they cannot claim that they were refused service. We have also used the plastic sheet for drunk people who we feel will vomit. Once again they are not happy about it, but they cannot claim that we cancelled on them. There is nothing in Uber or Lyfts community guidelines that says that we cannot put down plastic sheets to protect our cars. If a dog sheds or scratches or a drunk pukes you can roll up the $2.00 plastic sheet and throw it out and you don't have to deal with the cleaning fees run around.
Lol! Nice!

Yet demanding a destination in app or at least cross streets cuz I'm half-deaf and can't hear their muttered turn by turn is of course NOT protected...

[

That is logic. You want to service the public. But only the ones you like.

That's illogical.

Don't want to help everybody, help NOONE. And that's the law,

I wouldn't deny you. Soooo. You wouldn't have anything to complain about. Bring a frikking gorilla for all I care

Yes. Same way they would have to deal anyplace else that's PUBLIC

You guys suck at life.

Yes you do. Because the govt says you do.

The tears of your entitlement taste like mead from heaven!!

And it is the law EVERYWHERE.
You do NOT get to deny service to somebody who has a disability, anywhere in America. You don't get to choose if you like this disability enough.
ADA

You don't get to ask if their disability is legit or what it is.
HIPPA

Because they codified it more simply doesn't mean it's new. I hope all of you get sued into oblivion and can't afford uber pool $2.99 flat rate packages due to your ignorance and privileged attitudes.
See how fun THAT is.
"unless the confines of the circumstance IE: car bus or aircraft are privately owned and a reasonable alternative is available."

What the hell, Uber & Lyft???

ADA law clearly tells us we CAN tell em to take a hike. Plenty of other Fuber's Lyft's and cabs in the sea (ie: alternatives available to our PRIVATE CAR)

From the Lyft email:

"WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

1. No exceptions. For the safety of our community, drivers who knowingly refuse to transport a rider with a service animal after April 14 will be immediately deactivated."
But what if a pax makes a false claim of having a dog and getting refused a ride? A new scam to get free rides and get rid of a driver you hate

But what if a pax makes a false claim of having a dog and getting refused a ride? A new scam to get free rides and get rid of a driver you hate
Good question. Lyft's policy on that kind of complaint is not explained -- another weakness in Lyft's approach to this issue. Someone should ask Lyft that question.

Uber says if you receive two "credible" complaints of refusing a service animal, you will be permanently deactivated. That is complaints, as opposed to situations where they actually know you refused. It's the old "where there's smoke, there's fire" approach. What is "credible?" Only Uber knows.

It only takes one actual refusal with either company.

Unfortunately as it stands now, Uber/Lyft aren't giving drivers the choice even if they do consider us "independent contractors" and that's the real issue.
Not true. You have a choice, and it's quite simple:
  • You can drive the pax with the animal, or...
  • You can find another job.
Your choice.

Yet demanding a destination in app or at least cross streets cuz I'm half-deaf and can't hear their muttered turn by turn is of course NOT protected...

"unless the confines of the circumstance IE: car bus or aircraft are privately owned and a reasonable alternative is available."

What the hell, Uber & Lyft???

ADA law clearly tells us we CAN tell em to take a hike. Plenty of other Fuber's Lyft's and cabs in the sea (ie: alternatives available to our PRIVATE CAR)
Nope. But you know better than the lawyers. Of course.

Drive or quit.

Don't listen to greasy. Apparently, no one sat him down and explained the "law" to him so i will take a stab at it. Ok greasy...A service Animal is not considered a "pet". they serve a purpose and can perform task(s) to assist the disabled person. These dogs are smart, courteous and kind and would never poop, pee, or scratch up your interior.
An emotional support animal is your new $1000 toy some rich person just purchased as a status symbol and toke. These ESA certificates can be purchased online for $30 to get stupid uber drivers to let this pets into your car. These ESA pets will poop, pee and scratch your seats if they are not in an approved travel container. Service animals we are required by lay to take, the other...well, there are suckers born everyday. Judging by your posts, you appear to one of them.

Don't listen to greasy. Apparently, no one sat him down and explained the "law" to him so i will take a stab at it. Ok greasy...A service Animal is not considered a "pet". they serve a purpose and can perform task(s) to assist the disabled person. These dogs are smart, courteous and kind and would never poop, pee, or scratch up your interior.
An emotional support animal is your new $1000 toy some rich person just purchased as a status symbol and toke. These ESA certificates can be purchased online for $30 to get stupid uber drivers to let this pets into your car. These ESA pets will poop, pee and scratch your seats if they are not in an approved travel container. Service animals we are required by lay to take, the other...well, there are suckers born everyday. Judging by your posts, you appear to one of them.
What's funny is I actually had to learn all this to get my license to drive for lyft and uber.

And I got 100% on the test too.
Soooooo. Yeah. This guy is an internet bigshot who can't we wrong but.... IS WRONG.

Listen to him. Tell me about how it works out when I pick you up on lyft line cuz you can't afford your car anymore after deactivation.
I won't offer you water or candy, but you can talk to me and hope there aren't too many pick ups along your trip.

Back to the basics. We drive regular cars getting regular(less than regular) fares. So we cater to the market of regular people. People with special needs need to request handicapped ready vehicles( yes the one with the blue sign). The fare is higher for those, but the service you request fits those rates. Uber pays you more if your vehicle is registered handicapped ready and someone requests that service. Simple!

I had a lab dog that panicked in the back floor of the car and broke one of my heater fins. I have a small interior. They may be well trained but with enough space given. Forcing uberX or regular Lyft do this is totally unfair.
Sounds like the lab needed the service human for help comfort

I had a lab dog that panicked in the back floor of the car and broke one of my heater fins. I have a small interior. They may be well trained but with enough space given. Forcing uberX or regular Lyft do this is totally unfair.
Did you get reimbursed for the damage

FYI.

By law, Only DOGS can be trained service animals. These legit trained dogs are always hypoallergenic & low shedding. They are crazy expensive, like ranging from several grand to brand new prius expensive.
If you have ever been around dogs before, the service animal part is blatantly obvious. Heck, the disabled pax is a giveaway that it's real.

Cats, rodents, iguanas, snakes, etc etc can not be service animals at all. Non trained dogs are also not service animals. If you know a pax is lying, whip out your phone & record them. It's a misdemeanor offense in most locales.

I've driven real service animals before. Super easy to do.

Just received this email from lyft:

Starting April 14, 2017, you'll be required by the law and Lyft's policy to accommodate service animals, even if you have an allergy, religious or cultural objections, or a fear of them.

That's ridiculous, now we are forced to take all animals, big, small, huge. I think I'm done with lyft.
The problem is, we know a TON of people falsly claim their animal is a service animal.

How do I know that's true? How do I know that their animal doesn't have fleas?

Federal law prevents you from doing this. You can't treat disabled people differently.

Back to the basics. We drive regular cars getting regular(less than regular) fares. So we cater to the market of regular people. People with special needs need to request handicapped ready vehicles( yes the one with the blue sign). The fare is higher for those, but the service you request fits those rates. Uber pays you more if your vehicle is registered handicapped ready and someone requests that service. Simple!
That would be super illegal.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.