"Allergic" to the A/C?!

AlexK

Pax jumps in, shuts off my A/C claiming she was allergic. She proceeds to roll down the window and let the fresh waft of traffic smog in.....

Wtf?! Is this even a thing?

I do not mind adjusting the cabin temperature, just thought it was a hilarious bs excuse.

Any other weird requests today?!

NASCAR1991

Someone long time ago told me that they felt uncomfortable me wearing a tank top.
I suggest uber black if they wanted to check out suits.

Gibman73

There are a very small number of people whose sinus cavities will constrict or something in minutes of a/c exposure. I had a woman claim this too a few weeks ago and did the same thing, probably the same woman. Validity of her condition aside she was bossy, and on my ride it was pool with a pax already in the back seat.

NASCAR1991

Did you take it off?
Then i would be naked.
They didnt like my tank top since they thought we need to dress more professional then that.
It was one of those pax who just finally can afford uber over bus...and pax clearly googled uber images to many times where they have pics of black mercedes with guys wearing suits.

ResIpsaUber

I would not call me "allergic" but I have noticed that I often get a sinus condition of some sort with my A/C on. I have no idea why and it usually goes away.

Euius

AC units can get a fungus invasion.

You're really supposed to turn them off several minutes before you turn off the car/fans.

BuckSF

Back in the 1990's, a thing called "Environmental Illness" was the rage. You could walk down anywhere Downtown and see at least 5 people wearing gas masks. Lawyers were loving it, because their clients were suing the companies they worked for, and suing the city, for causing the health problems of these employees.... here is an NYT article from 1990 about the fad: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/16/magazine/when-life-is-toxic.html , and here's one about Environmental Illness in San Francisco: https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=3n4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=2798,6275450&hl=en

What you experienced is a remnant of that time. I experienced it with a passenger last weekend. She boarded the vehicle and asked me to turn the a/c off because she was allergic to it.

For what it's worth, you are not the one who is crazy....

Last edited:

luvgurl22

I
Pax jumps in, shuts off my A/C claiming she was allergic. She proceeds to roll down the window and let the fresh waft of traffic smog in.....

I do not mind adjusting the cabin temperature, just thought it was a hilarious bs excuse.

Some people claim with older cars the air vents release dust.Go figure.Those kind of people should live in a bubble.

Genini-Contractor

Back in the 1990's, a thing called "Environmental Illness" was the rage. You could walk down anywhere Downtown and see at least 5 people wearing gas masks. Lawyers were loving it, because their clients were suing the companies they worked for, and suing the city, for causing the health problems of these employees.... here is an NYT article from 1990 about the fad: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/16/magazine/when-life-is-toxic.html , and here's one about Environmental Illness in San Francisco: https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=3n4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=2798,6275450&hl=en

What you experienced is a remnant of that time. I experienced it with a passenger last weekend. She boarded the vehicle and asked me to turn the a/c off because she was allergic to it.

For what it's worth, you are not the one who is crazy....
Maybe the "Environmental Illness" rage is a precursor to agoraphobia.

tohunt4me

Could be.
Most would have a FIT if a.c. was shut off.
We're they Amish ?

AlexK

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hahaha I'm glad I'm not alone in this!

It sounds like we may have had the same lady, except the woman from MV/Sunnyvale.

It was a hot day too, and I had other passengers in the car. The A/C helps keep me alert and happy, plus no one wants to sweat on their way to work or while working in my case.

I've had requests to turn it down, but never someone who just switches it off on their own. Next time, I'll just pull over and end the trip as she clearly doesn't understand boundaries and that ITS MY CAR. You are ridesharing lady, not being pampered and chauffeured for $4.

nash801

What do you do when the minute they get in they angrily order me to close the windows? ( My windows are only open a little and the ones who demand it are @@@@@y ladies).
I've always immediately complied but maybe no more?
I need just the right air temp/smell to drive safely.
Sometimes guys or girls get in and open the windows and I say yes!

NASCAR1991

I drive with my window open at night since its keeps me alert. And i Like the wind. Almost no one ever says anything. But sometimes someone want to take control over. If its cold out and i see them pretty cold ill close it...but if its fine out and they just want it just because.....i don't like that.

Another good one....im driving for 18 minutes on 20 min ride..their were fine and lost 2 min they demand aux cable....n[ooooooooooooooo.

Driving 20 minutes ...last 100 feet they wale up and start directing me....dudeeeeeeee

nash801

I drive with my window open at night since its keeps me alert. And i Like the wind. Almost no one ever says anything. But sometimes someone want to take control over. If its cold out and i see them pretty cold ill close it...but if its fine out and they just want it just because.....i don't like that.

Another good one....im driving for 18 minutes on 20 min ride..their were fine and lost 2 min they demand aux cable....n[ooooooooooooooo.

Driving 20 minutes ...last 100 feet they wale up and start directing me....dudeeeeeeee
Are you the girl or guy in the photo? I'm guessing guy since you drive at night