• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

All Uber drivers deserve minimum wage

Uberfunitis

Sure let's guarantee that businesses will always make a profit, that sounds like a great idea :rolleyes:. Here is a novel idea if what you are doing earns you the compensation that you want than you will continue doing that if not then you should find some other use of your time.

Hpil77

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm great driver make money /my point is why NYC only get minimum wage/look like we from different planet

FLKeys

I don't want more government regulation. If all drivers that were unhappy with their SELF-EMPLOYEED income quit driving for Uber a few things MAY happen. First there won't be enough drivers and Uber will raise rates. Second Uber will not notice a huge decline in drivers and a few other drivers may get a few more pings. Third Uber ignores everything and fails.

The markets are over saturated with drivers and for the most part those drivers make it work. Supply and demand, Free Trade, let the markets work themselves out. If you are not happy find other work or make the best out of what you have by driving smarter.

Seamus

I'm great driver make money /my point is why NYC only get minimum wage/look like we from different planet
You are on a different rideshare planet. NYC TLC "MADE" any rideshare company operating in their jurisdiction pay higher rates and fees so that the driver should gross $27 per hour and NET (after expenses) $17 an hour. Its higher rates and fees not actual hourly pay. The reason no one else gets those rates and fees is because we don't live in a geography that has a TLC "FORCING" rideshare companies to do that and totally regulating drivers and their cars.

Last edited:

FLKeys

Last I heard drivers in NY can't buy rideshare insurance endorsements, if they want to be covered they have to but expensive commercial policies. NY wants to regulate everything and that is not in my best interest. Heck they even wanted to regulate what size soft drink someone could buy. Like that is going to solve any problems.

If you want NY rules move to NY. You have to take the good with the bad.

Nats121

Sure let's guarantee that businesses will always make a profit, that sounds like a great idea :rolleyes:. Here is a novel idea if what you are doing earns you the compensation that you want than you will continue doing that if not then you should find some other use of your time.
They operate as a taxi company, but due to political corruption and incompetence, they're not subject to most taxi regulations, including rates paid to drivers.
Be careful what you ask for.

Uber will give you an hour long trip and pay you $7.25.
Take a look at NYC. The drivers are getting a lot more than $7.25 per hour.

Trafficat

I vote no. Instead, repeal the minimum wage for all workers in all fields. Minimum wage only leads to less employment, less freedom, etc.

Minimum wage means less freedom for drivers. Uber won't allow you to sit at home with your app on in the middle of a quiet suburb for 4 hours to get that 1 $20 ride. Is that really a good thing? No, it is not.

FLKeys

I vote no. Instead, repeal the minimum wage for all workers in all fields. Minimum wage only leads to less employment, less freedom, etc.

Minimum wage means less freedom for drivers. Uber won't allow you to sit at home with your app on in the middle of a quiet suburb for 4 hours to get that 1 $20 ride. Is that really a good thing? No, it is not.
I have another post on here about why minimum wage is no good and why raising it only hurts the ones living check to check. Of course several people disagreed with me. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is starts around post #7: https://uberpeople.net/threads/minimum-wage-increase-to-15-dollars-sounds-good-we-need-it.306531/

Wonkytonk

Be careful what you ask for.

Uber will give you an hour long trip and pay you $7.25.
I'm pretty sure the drivers above, objecting about enforced minimum after expenses don't think that. What the rideshare companies would most likely do with such a glut of drivers as most of their driver super-saturated markets are. I mean on it's face alone and your post implies it, that rate of compensation would seem objectionably onerous to drivers. They wouldn't have any drivers after a week or two with that rate of compensation.

What most of them would do to avoid having to come out of pocket for the less grossing (less experienced) drivers is most probably pay as normal to bring you to or above the minimum after expenses, and then cut you off until you're just short of the minimum again, at which point they allocate another ping to you always keeping you at, or close to the minimum wage after expenses.

In other words they would distribute pings (the money) to make sure everyone gets as close to minimum as possible, and what that would mean for drivers currently grossing more than the minimum is a pay cut to offset the less than minimum being earned by less experienced drivers, in some cases a large one.

What that also means is if drivers want to maintain that minimum they'll have to take every ping or the ride share companies can say the driver refused the work that would have guaranteed them minimum wage.

And as an added bonus expect to have to drive farther to pickup riders since drivers at varying levels of the legal minimum wage per hour will most likely not be distributed in an optimum way requiring long schleps to pick up riders as the algorithm assigns pings based on hourly driver pay vs distance from driver to rider location.

But that's just my guess. Who knows really.

That said I'm still ok with requiring it across the country as long as the minimum hourly is above 15 after expenses in all markets.

Last edited:

Wonkytonk

What if we make more than minimum wage, should I give some money back?
As I noted above in more detail my guess is that in that case you wouldn't be selected for another ping until you've been online without one long enough to the point you're approaching the point you're about to drop below the minimum hourly wage rate again, which would bring you over the minimum, and wash, rinse, repeat.