Alexandria! enforcing "blocking traffic" law - $2500 fine.

unitacx

I got a $41 ticket in Alexandria (turned out to be $93) for "Blocking an active lane of traffic". That much I expected, as I knew I was blocking traffic, basically being a jerk. The cop said this is part of new enforcement initiative against "rideshare taxis", but the cop said he was letting me off easy because the moving violation for that carries a $2500 fine, plus towing charges. WTF?

The rider felt bad for me and gave me a $25 tip, but that still leaves me about $60 in the hole for that trip.

I figured the $2500 was just cop bluster. For one thing, **we're not taxis**. But I looked it up.

violation of § 46.2-818(1.) - $2500 fine plus towing charges; 1 year license suspension.

The penalty is $2500, and in theory (like a lot of traffic ordinances) there's potential jail time on this *and* a 1-year license suspension. I suspect the court would impose a lesser fine and waive jail time. Not sure about the "license suspension" though. The catch is that the cop can argue that the blockage is intentional, and thus fall under sub-section (1.) This [stuff] makes D.C. look like a federally protected ant sanctuary.

The take-away - if the pin is on the active roadway, pull to a spot that doesn't block traffic. I don't like want to do it but if a rider can't walk to where I won't get a ticket, I'm sliding, and maybe pick up the cancellation fee.

§ 46.2-818. Stopping vehicle of another; blocking access to premises; damaging or threatening commercial vehicle or operator thereof; penalties.

No person shall intentionally and willfully:

1. Stop the vehicle of another for the sole purpose of impeding its progress on the highways, except in the case of an emergency or mechanical breakdown;

[2 and 3 relate to blocking access and damage to vehicles]

Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor, and in addition, his driver's license may be suspended by the court for a period of not more than one year. The court shall forward such license to the Department as provided by 46.2-398.

[exemptions for official activities deleted]

~~~~
§ 18.2-11 - Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

(b) For Class 2 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than six months and a fine of not more than $1,000, either or both.

(c) For Class 3 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $500.

(d) For Class 4 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $250.
I don't know if this cop was being lenient or just being a hard***, but given Alexandria's intent to enforce this "blocking traffic" ordinance, it's best to practice up on the kissing butt routine. And be ready to slide.

New2This

I got a $41 ticket in Alexandria (turned out to be $93) for "Blocking an active lane of traffic". That much I expected, as I knew I was blocking traffic, basically being a jerk. The cop said this is part of new enforcement initiative against "rideshare taxis", but the cop said he was letting me off easy because the moving violation for that carries a $2500 fine, plus towing charges. WTF?

The rider felt bad for me and gave me a $25 tip, but that still leaves me about $60 in the hole for that trip.

I figured the $2500 was just cop bluster. For one thing, **we're not taxis**. But I looked it up.

violation of § 46.2-818(1.) - $2500 fine plus towing charges; 1 year license suspension.

The penalty is $2500, and in theory (like a lot of traffic ordinances) there's potential jail time on this *and* a 1-year license suspension. I suspect the court would impose a lesser fine and waive jail time. Not sure about the "license suspension" though. The catch is that the cop can argue that the blockage is intentional, and thus fall under sub-section (1.) This [stuff] makes D.C. look like a federally protected ant sanctuary.

The take-away - if the pin is on the active roadway, pull to a spot that doesn't block traffic. I don't like want to do it but if a rider can't walk to where I won't get a ticket, I'm sliding, and maybe pick up the cancellation fee.

§ 46.2-818. Stopping vehicle of another; blocking access to premises; damaging or threatening commercial vehicle or operator thereof; penalties.

No person shall intentionally and willfully:

1. Stop the vehicle of another for the sole purpose of impeding its progress on the highways, except in the case of an emergency or mechanical breakdown;

[2 and 3 relate to blocking access and damage to vehicles]

Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor, and in addition, his driver's license may be suspended by the court for a period of not more than one year. The court shall forward such license to the Department as provided by 46.2-398.

[exemptions for official activities deleted]

~~~~
§ 18.2-11 - Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

(b) For Class 2 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than six months and a fine of not more than $1,000, either or both.

(c) For Class 3 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $500.

(d) For Class 4 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $250.
I don't know if this cop was being lenient or just being a hard***, but given Alexandria's intent to enforce this "blocking traffic" ordinance, it's best to practice up on the kissing butt routine. And be ready to slide.

Through my day stuff I see an Alexandria City Police Officer. I'll ask her what she knows about this.

Bart McCoy

You blocked traffic. You deserved the ticket.

unitacx

That's just the maximum penalty you could face. Doesn't mean you will actually pay $2500 and go to jail. The justice system doesn't work that way.

I doubt anyone would get the maximum on this. I also think I could get a lawyer to fight that, at least as I read it, which is why I think it's bluster.

But yeah, I don't question that I "earned" that $41 ticket.

BurningHouse

Yeah how the hell do you do express pool without stopping Uber? Pharoah wants us to make bricks without straw.
Just another reason to avoid cities like Alexandria which are decidly hostile towards fuber. Not that fuber cares after all it is us drivers footing the bill.

You blocked traffic. You deserved the ticket.
So in other words you're telling us to avoid Alexandria

unitacx

... or avoid stopping in the actual traffic lane on King Street. That was not my smartest move, and not my most professional move.

BurningHouse

Hes saying block a fire hydrant, park or go to the intersection. It's not that hard and if they moan and.complain, kick em out, wait the rest of the time and collect $3.75
No he's making it pretty clear. Pickup a pax while you're moving. Hopefully the pax can jump in your car as you're is going 25 mph down the street. Sounds safe to me.