Alcohol delivery. Does anyone take a photo of ID by default?

tkman

Does anyone take a photo of ID by default? Is it worthwhile doing? Is this an invasion of their privacy or a good cover your ass type of thing?

Another Uber Driver

Do they enforce the drinking age in Canada, now? When I lived up there, if you could pronounce it, that meant that you were old enough to drink it. I lived in Montréal./ I never saw anyone get carded there. I saw someone get carded only once in Toronto. I was surprised.

Do they enforce the drinking age in Canada, now? When I lived up there, if you could pronounce it, that meant that you were old enough to drink it. I lived in Montréal./ I never saw anyone get carded there. I saw someone get carded only once in Toronto. I was surprised.
In Ontario since the temporary allowance of alcohol we are legally required to check for ID. Currently I've seen 1 driver on reddit post about being audited.

Some of the deliveries are actually people from the alcohol and gambling association or so were suppose to think like that on every delivery.

The fines are huge if you are caught not checking ID properly.

Another Uber Driver

In Ontario since the temporary allowance of alcohol
(emphasis added)

Allowing Uber cars to deliver alcohol is only a temporary condition? LLBO (is that still the name of the agency?) is permitting this in response to COVID-19? If this is the case, I am assuming that when this COVID-19 comes under control, these allowances will be lifted.

we are legally required to check for ID.
I do not doubt that. I was simply surprised as I never saw anyone's enforcing the drinking age anywhere that I was in Canada, except for the one time that I mentioned. I visited Vancouver several times when I was in high school in California. I walked into hotel bars all the time and ordered beers. I was obviously under age. I looked young for my age even when I was of legal age. As a young man, I lived in Montréal. I drove a truck up there. My job took me to Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Fort Erie and Windsor all the time. I went to Québec City all the time. No one ever asked me for an ID. At the time, you had to be eighteen to drink in Ontario, British Columbia and Québec.

It has been a long time since I lived in Canada, though.

Some of the deliveries are actually people from the alcohol and gambling association or so were suppose to think like that on every delivery. The fines are huge if you are caught not checking ID properly.
If the penalties are harsh, I would assume that it is Enforcement every time, as well.

(emphasis added)

Allowing Uber cars to deliver alcohol is only a temporary condition? LLBO (is that still the name of the agency?) is permitting this in response to COVID-19? If this is the case, I am assuming that when this COVID-19 comes under control, these allowances will be lifted.

I do not doubt that. I was simply surprised as I never saw anyone's enforcing the drinking age anywhere that I was in Canada, except for the one time that I mentioned. I visited Vancouver several times when I was in high school in California. I walked into hotel bars all the time and ordered beers. I was obviously under age. I looked young for my age even when I was of legal age. As a young man, I lived in Montréal. I drove a truck up there. My job took me to Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Fort Erie and Windsor all the time. I went to Québec City all the time. No one ever asked me for an ID. At the time, you had to be eighteen to drink in Ontario, British Columbia and Québec.

It has been a long time since I lived in Canada, though.

If the penalties are harsh, I would assume that it is Enforcement every time, as well.
Yes, the temporary allowance of delivering alcohol in Ontario since the covid pandemic, it doesn't apply just to Uber, any company that delivers alcohol with food can do it so Doordash, Skipthedishes etc....

And yes one of the rules of delivering alcohol is it must be associated with an order of food. It can be anything, even just a order of small French fries or some nachos, otherwise its illegal

The deadline for the exception is next year basically, December 31st 2020

Then we can't deliver booze anymore unless it's with the LCBO or The Beer Store

tkman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does anyone take a photo of ID by default? Is it worthwhile doing? Is this an invasion of their privacy or a good cover your ass type of thing?
Not one person answered the question. I have not been taking photos of the ID at this point. Thought about it but not done it.
Post automatically merged:

At a bar, or the liquor store, or beer store the staff are granted the ability to choose if a person needs to be carded. I would think that should apply to the alcohol delivery situation as well. We are like a waiter, or bar tender who assesses the person and decides if ID is required. I have asked for it every time however I am thinking that it should be only when the person looks young. I don't know what the actual requirement is. Anybody? The Uber Eats app wants a birthdate. If the person looks 50 can we not just ask them for their birthdate and enter it without actually seeing it?