Albany Airport

thesooze

Can anyone tell me what is going on regarding the Albany airport? I just went to a staging area and a combo Lyft/Uber driver said that an Airport Authority Police had just come and they were told that Uber drivers can't pick up or drop off at the airport nor could they stay in that staging area. The Police told this driver that they will ticket and possibly arrest anyone who doesn't comply. Could someone at Uber please let us know the proper procedure?

I have done several pickups and drop-offs already.

kevinam

I was stopped also after picking up and dropping off all week. Deputy sheriff was polite but told me that Uber has not signed a contract that will allow us to pick up. Said nothing about dropping off. Pity. Trying to communicate with Uber has been frustrating. Not pleased with their top down method of communication.

Maven

Lyft was at least negotiating with Albany Airport early last May. No word since then.
Uber has demanded more than Lyft at other Upstate-NY airports.
Next time you're at the airport, please ask if they treat Lyft different than Uber.

kevinam

They do - Lyft is allowed as I was informed by the Deputy. Does anyone know a way to find out the status from Uber?

Blottomac

I was informed today by sherrif uber wont pay the fee so after a warning u will receive a $765 fine and 6 months in jail. Iys ridiculous u could sell drugs and get less. But this is ubers fault lyft paid

Maven

I was informed today by sherrif uber wont pay the fee so after a warning u will receive a $765 fine and 6 months in jail. Iys ridiculous u could sell drugs and get less. But this is ubers fault lyft paid
If Uber follows the same pattern that they did in CT with HPN then they will continue to send requests to drivers with airport destinations. Uber will not provide any support to a driver who get fined or sent to jail, because drivers are "independent contractors". I do not know this for certain. It should be verified with Uber by email. Meanwhile, pass the word to (most) drivers who are unaware of this risk. If you talk to the sheriff again:
  1. Thank him for the courtesy of providing a warning before taking action. The Westchester TLC agents were not so courteous.
  2. Suggest that a prominent sign be placed near the airport entrance warning Uber drivers of the risk they face.
  3. Find out if there is any online web site describing this situation with Uber, the fine and jail time.

Maven

Albany Airport has updated their website to include ridesharing here. Lyft is in. Uber still out. If you get an Uber passenger going to that airport, you may want to refuse the fare and cancel (hopefully before you started the ride). You may choose to give the passenger the real reason or not. If the passenger offers any kind of compensation for your additional risk, you may choose to accept it or not. I suggest that you email Uber each time with the facts. Please let the forum know their response.

Be very careful about dropping an Uber fare at Albany airport. Any reasonable grace period may have expired leaving Uber drivers subject to ticketing and fines at Albany Airport. If you have a chance, ask the airport cops about the current policy and how long until it changes. Please let the forum know their response.

kevinam

I contacted Albany Airport - below is their reply:

Uber has yet to agree to the Albany County Airport Authority’s Permit to Operate.

Lyft is now operating with an Airport Authority Permit.

Until Uber meets the Airport’s requirements and is granted an Airport Permit, Uber drivers are not permitted to drop off or pick up passengers at Albany International Airport.

Uber drivers that attempt to drop off or pick up passengers at the Airport are subject to fines and charges of trespass.

I have attached the Airport Authority Policy for TNC’s.

Doug Myers

Director, Public Affairs

Maven

Uber has yet to agree to the Albany County Airport Authority’s Permit to Operate.
Until Uber meets the Airport’s requirements and is granted an Airport Permit, Uber drivers are not permitted to drop off or pick up passengers at Albany International Airport.
Uber drivers that attempt to drop off or pick up passengers at the Airport are subject to fines and charges of trespass.
Doug Myers
Director, Public Affairs
Thanks for sharing what you found out. :smiles:
So summarizing: Lyft good. Uber bad, drivers are subject to fines and charges of trespass.
Could you reply with a copy of the "Airport Authority Policy for TNC’s" that you received from Doug Myers? If not, did Doug indicate:
  • If either warnings or fines are currently being given?
  • When did/will fines begin?
  • The amount of the fines being given?
Was the "Airport Authority Policy for TNC’s" similar to the following found here?

10.1 Operating Permit:
Approve Transportation Network Company Operating Permit.

Mr. Stuto recommended authorization to approve the Transportation Network
Company Operating Permit (TNC). He advised that Chapter 59 of the Laws of 3
2017, effective July 9, 2017 established the legal requirements for Transportation
Network Companies (TNC’s) to operate in New York State and specifically
preserved the rights of Airports located outside of a city with a population of one
million or more to enter into contracts or other agreements, adopt regulations,
and impose reasonable fees.

He further advised that the implementation of the
permit and the TNC operations will require the Airport to subscribe to a TNC
activity monitoring and report service contemplated in the Operating Permit.
The Airport anticipates at least two TNC operators will eventually enter into a
TNC Operation Permit with the Airport. He stated

there will be a $5,000 one-time set-up fee, and
a privilege fee of $2.00 per vehicle
drop off and a $2.00 per-vehicle pick-up charge.

Mr. Heider moved to authorize said Operating Permit. The motion was adopted unanimously.​

Tom2unez

Doug Myers

Director, Public Affairs
I dont believe Doug is right. They guy in this video is Doug Myers.
. I talked to one of the Albany sheriffs today and was told they are doing nothing about dropping off people. They don't want uber hanging out on airport property. You can pick people up from hockey lane which is next to Albany airport. If any questions contact Albany sheriffs not the airport cause airport will want something done but the sheriff's may not enforce it.

Tom2unez

Just found out at there is at least one sheriff that will ticket Uber drivers. Keep that in mind when you drop off at the airport. Most will not ticket Uber drivers. Easy solution is print out a Lyft icon out and put it on your windshield.

Scott veronese

I just had to pick someone up at the airport I use my Lyft logo on my windowsill and they ain't say nothing they just look at it and let me go this poor person flight came in at 12 a.m. course I was not going to turn it down I was not going to let this person stay at the airport I heard that we could drop off

Scott veronese

So now we have to wait until they signs a deal with Albany International Airport but why did they sign with Buffalo International Airport and now they just made a deal with Syracuse International Airport

Chimesickle

Jeez, I hope they resolve the issue soon. There will be a lot of international students arriving for classes soon. I kind of like those runs, not sure why

kevinam

I had passengers from the Boston area that told me Uber did the same thing there. They delay signing trying to get a better deal. The passengers told me it took about 6 months for Uber to sign there. Hope it is sooner with Albany International.

Merc7186

Out of curiousity, when you drive near the airport, do you see a Virtual Queue pop up?

An inquiry popped up on the Buffalo/Rochester forum about it because the drivers in Rochester are now seeing a queue but there is still no deal in Rochester as of yet.

Attachments