• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Airport trying to steal our rides

EpicBeard

Friday night I got a ping from the airport.

I texted pax to confirm that he was at the Uber pickup zone. He hadn't taken an uber from SAN before, so I give him the info on pickups and tell him that if he has trouble finding it, that an airport employee can point him in the right direction.

I learned from my mistake!

Pax informs me that an airport employee tried to get him to cxl with me and take the shuttle to Oceanside and that he would save a whopping 5 bucks from the estimated fare on Uber.

I'm thinking that this might explain the cxls that I have had from SAN in the past.

What, do they have salespeople trying to talk people out of ubers bothering our pax or what??

mandreyka

Looks like your pax was smart enough not to listen. My guess is that the pick up area is too far of a walk and they just say screw it and hop in a cab that is sitting there.

Socaldriverguy

I texted pax to confirm that he was at the Uber pickup zone. He hadn't taken an uber from SAN before, so I give him the info on pickups and tell him that if he has trouble finding it, that an airport employee can point him in the right direction.

Pax informs me that an airport employee tried to get him to cxl with me and take the shuttle to Oceanside and that he would save a whopping 5 bucks from the estimated fare on Uber.

I'm thinking that this might explain the cxls that I have had from SAN in the past.

What, do they have salespeople trying to talk people out of ubers bothering our pax or what??
No offense, but it looks like the people hired to monitor Uber and Lyft at SAN look like they are from a homeless project...

EpicBeard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like your pax was smart enough not to listen.
Yeah, and he clearly didn't care about the $5 difference either. He tipped me $20 on a $50 fare.

He got home a lot quicker, smoother ride, and made good conversation the whole way to Oceanside.

If only all my rides could be this lucrative.

Oh and by the way, I got non-stop rides from 1:30 am until 3:30 in Oceanside/Carlsbad thanks to this one ride.

Horsebm

No offense, but it looks like the people hired to monitor Uber and Lyft at SAN look like they are from a homeless project...
My suggestion is that you should both e-mail, Uber San Diego and report each of your experiences. Hopefully they can take care of these issues.

Alexander

Nice catch with the Oceanside trip (so awesome picking up someone from one side of the city and hearing they're going to the other: instant dollar signs). I don't do the airport pick-ups, though: tried it several times, and it was a waste of time, just sitting there and waiting for a ping. Downtown is right there- the hell am I doing waiting around forever by the car rental/Sheraton?

EpicBeard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My suggestion is that you should both e-mail, Uber San Diego and report each of your experiences. Hopefully they can take care of these issues.
I took your advice and emailed (or so I thought) the Uber San Diego team. Guess what happened....

Canned email response from India, telling me to just focus on driving.

Not only that, but the CS thought I was reporting an issue with the pax.

Needless to say I shot off an irritated reply questioning their comprehension ability and asking them to escalate the matter to a manager

volksie

It's likely that he asked a "Shuttle Driver" (they wear uniforms), for help & not an airport employee.

Bill Feit

Had interesting experience today. Had two airport drop offs..first too early to stick around. Second drop off was about 9:15 am and I actually got the next ping for airport pickup while still on Airport property just before I turned on to McCain street....ZERO wait time...a first for me! Too bad pax was only going to PB...still nice not to have to wait. When I got back to pickup at term 2 there were so many cars picking up I could not park and my fare walked out to meet me!

Horsebm

I took your advice and emailed (or so I thought) the Uber San Diego team. Guess what happened....

Canned email response from India, telling me to just focus on driving.

Not only that, but the CS thought I was reporting an issue with the pax.

Needless to say I shot off an irritated reply questioning their comprehension ability and asking them to escalate the matter to a manager
I won't be making any more suggestions, sorry. That was smart on your part to ask for a manager. SAN revenue is, huge, Uber and you are loosing money every time a pax cancels a ride request. If I were Uber, Id'd want to know what's going on at the airport. You have, first hand information. There's nothing better than that.

Keep us posted.
Thanks.

Horsebm

Had interesting experience today. Had two airport drop offs..first too early to stick around. Second drop off was about 9:15 am and I actually got the next ping for airport pickup while still on Airport property just before I turned on to McCain street....ZERO wait time...a first for me! Too bad pax was only going to PB...still nice not to have to wait. When I got back to pickup at term 2 there were so many cars picking up I could not park and my fare walked out to meet me!
Same happened to me a few weeks back. I chose not to accept the request. I have a very small trunk and have had to turn away pax before.

frndthDuvel

I would hope the ticket police would take notice of that before ticketing. I have been warned by one of the TNC monitors that PAX can not load anywhere except designated spots. This when a PAX walked to me before I had parked. $275 ticket she said.

Horsebm

It only goes to show you just how, stupid these TNC monitors are. They obviously saw the pax walk to your car. It's all about the money ! I'm sure they love writing $275.00 tickets.

frndthDuvel

It only goes to show you just how, stupid these TNC monitors are. They obviously saw the pax walk to your car. It's all about the money ! I'm sure they love writing $275.00 tickets.
The TNC monitor WARNED me that I cold be ticketed by Harbor Police. I thought it was quite nice of her. But I made the next person who walked to the curb directly in front of the stairs to the follow me to the parking spots.

Bill Feit

Nice catch with the Oceanside trip (so awesome picking up someone from one side of the city and hearing they're going to the other: instant dollar signs). I don't do the airport pick-ups, though: tried it several times, and it was a waste of time, just sitting there and waiting for a ping. Downtown is right there- the hell am I doing waiting around forever by the car rental/Sheraton?
Spoken like someone who does not have to drive home 45-60 miles empty very often!! I do have to do that and when I get an occasional all the way fare it is almost always from the airport. I agree about the long waits and have taken the stance recently that when the day is almost over for me (5-6 hours) I will only take one airport pickup no matter where it is going and then drive home empty. I will also never wait more that 30 mins.