• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Airport questions

XandXL

hi all,

Just wondering how fast the queue moves at the Savannah airport. I have been driving for almost two weeks and I have been a little wary about heading there. What are the best times for the airport? I live south of Savannah and turn my app on when I start heading downtown. Also, are there any additional rates for picking up at the airport?

Thanks.
X

JimS

Airport pickups charge the passengers like $2.50 or something, but you'll never see it. You'll have to just judge "best times" for yourself. Veterans don't like giving out their secrets. I'll tell you this, though. Yesterday, I sat out at the airport from 11 AM until 12:30 PM. I entered the queue as #23, and gave up as number 12. On Monday, I got a $5.55 ride from Pooler to ... Pooler! When I went back to the queue, I was back at #23. After my day job, I turned on my app, and entered the queue at #12. After an hour, I was #3 with no new arrivals for another 30 minutes.

So, what are the rewards for waiting at the airport? 75% chance of a $12 fare to downtown, 20% chance of a fare to Pooler or the local area, and 4% chance of a $30-40 fare to Bluffton/Hilton Head. There is about a 1% chance or less of getting a ride to somewhere like Charleston, but those are just as likely from downtown.

So, no, it's generally not worth it, but there is what we call the "Airport Mafia" who practically camp there, keeping the queue numbers high.

Oh, and all the above is for X only. If you try XL or Select without X, you could be there for HOURS waiting (and many do). Their numbers don't show in the queue.

So why did I subject myself to the airport THRICE this week if it sucks? Because I had two hours to blow and was then headed downtown anyway. Anyway, three attempts, and all I got was a lousy $5 ride.

TactiTaco

The Savannah Airport Website is Key to see those wonderful delays. Look for delayed flights after midnight. (car rentals close at midnight). I got a ride to HHI last night from a delayed flight, and they tipped $20 roughly a $60 fare + tax refunds from gas and such.

Sariandan

The Savannah Airport Website is Key to see those wonderful delays. Look for delayed flights after midnight. (car rentals close at midnight). I got a ride to HHI last night from a delayed flight, and they tipped $20 roughly a $60 fare + tax refunds from gas and such.
Great advice, about the delayed flights. Never really thought about that (only been doing this since the beginning of this month). I have Flight Aware and have been looking at it, anticipating giving the airport a try. A lot of flights get delayed, I'll start checking at night, for sure.