Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Airport pings while not at the airport

2K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  rondog2400 
#1 ·
I'm confused. I understand you have to be in the airport queue to get a ride, but what if I get an airport ride while I'm not at the airport?

#36 ·
Some of my best Airport pings comes from about 1/2 a mile outside the airport when it's surging... I have a favorite spot I go to and wait for it when I forsee a huge surge coming due to high demand and low availability of drivers... Here's a pic of our airport surge and of a great ride I took from my spot that was an airport pickup....
View attachment 383729 View attachment 383730
Wtf? They pay you $4.80 an hour in Memphis? Is that even legal?

Then again, you make more per mile than we do in Miami. Go figure...

#10 ·
Happened to me once, stacked ping, I was about fifteen minutes out. Pax was pissed that it took so long, gave me a 1* for "Service". I think she thought she was rating Uber, seemed new.

#15 ·
I once had an airport ping from 20 min away! I couldn’t get rid of the requests though because there was nobody anywhere near and it was surging. It was like $17 surge because I was near a concert but I shuffled and always got airport so I just accepted it. Got a nice long trip and tip from it. Plus airport people are much better than drunk concert people who have no idea what street they are even on. If you are the closest one, or you fit a specific category like comfort, you’ll get it. There can be 30 Uber X but if you’re the only one that qualifies for comfort you’ll get the ping

#19 ·
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

I get airport pings when the airport queue is empty since I live and frequently drive in range of pings from that airport. No knowledge of the algorithm is required to explain this situation. This is simply supply and demand. Low supply of drivers at the airport, and then some drivers near the airport (or even 20 minutes away) who are online.

Unless you are talking about something else?

#29 ·
Slightly off topic but relative - I’ve never signed up for TNC in Houston because I don’t want to wait at airports. Twice now I’ve been leaving the airport after dropping off and gotten pings to return to the terminal. I went back both times but I’m assuming I broke some law by not being TNC registered?

#34 ·
Are you suggesting that all the drivers in line skipped? How are people seeing ride destination if they are declining so many rides. And it was lucrative btw... Good surge.

I was in Cary about 20 minutes from airport about a month ago, got a ping. Said what the F.
I went there and picked up 2 girls going to Burlington.
I was thinking like $35/40. It paid $80 as it was a surge .
It was about midnight on a Sunday night (the night a plane crashed in Umstead park)
Dropped them off drove back on empty well paved interstate and went home.
That's awesome!

#40 ·
Happened to me. I was about 2 miles from OHare with the DF on. (Heading home, live about 40 miles from the airport. DF is not available from the airports in Chicago)
Got the request. Trip ended about a mile from my home

Thing to remember is Uber has rules that you need to be in the waiting area to get the request and DF does not work at the airport. Unless Uber needs you.

#41 ·
Thanks for all the input. It was crazy last night. Super late night flights landing at the same time I guess.

What was a bit frustrating though, was a few hours later during early morning airport rush, I kept getting requests from outside the airport as soon as I dropped someone off at the airport. Lot of back and forth with long dead drives to get the the pickup

#42 · (Edited)
Happens all the time in my town. There is never a driver waiting in my airport's queue. I've received airport pings while being as far as six miles away from the airport.

I'm sure Uber probably charges surge but they're not telling me. Subway cookies has now replaced our surge.
Sounds like it based on conversations I've had with my Lyft pax. I'll pick up a Lyft ride, and the pax will say, "I was going to book this on Uber, but they wanted (fill in outrageous amount here) for the same trip I'm paying $10 for on Lyft."

I can tell you there was no surge showing ANYWHERE on the Uber driver's app when these people have stated this. Uber is greatly reducing the threshold for surge compensation to the driver, but keeping the surge pricing fully intact for the passenger.

If passengers only knew the level of thievery this company employs, they'd probably all jump ship to Lyft.

#44 ·
I get them all the time in Philly if I'm 10 minutes away , Their usually pretty distant trips , like 30 mile rides , get a couple of them a day and Its worth to accept surge or not , Then when I'm out in the sticks somewhere i turn on my destination and usually get a trip or 2 back in my area..

It was crazy. At like 2 am I was 20 min from airport, airport had 10 dollar surge. And I got a ride request from the airport while I was still 20 away.
That's Uber for you.. Did you accept the trip ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.