Airport pickups Bradley

Alman

When picking up or dropping off a pax at Bradley Airport. Are there certain rules that uber driver has to follow. I know you can't sit in arrivals waiting for them so what do drivers do..

WaterburyDave

They say you should be on the cell phone lot. I'm there now checking it out.

There's a bunch crowding arrivals. I'm gonna watch and see.

Are you there now?

Atom guy

There always seems to be a crowd of uber drivers in arrivals, I rarely bother trying for a pickup there. I drop off all the time, and if I get a pick up, great, but I don't count on it. Also, there is never surge pricing at Bradley.

WaterburyDave

It was interesting- I had an afternoon appointment from my real job in Suffield, so I traveled a few miles over to Bradley at about 6PM when I finished. Sat for over an hour in the cell phone lot with no pings, but I could see cars disappear on the rider app near arrivals on a fairly regular basis. There were about 15 Uber X's driving around like fleas on a stray dog, mainly congregating near arrivals. I finally decided to go around the circle a couple of time, got in front of arrivals the first time around, and got a ping as I went by. Circled around and picked up a business traveler. Nice trip to Farmington- 27 miles to a hotel right off the highway with no traffic delay. Of course if I had to deadhead back to Bradley that would have made it less nice, but it actually got me half way home.

I checked the incoming flights portion of the Bradley website while in the cell lot- a lot of delayed and cancelled flights so it may have been slower than normal.

I wouldn't go there special, but I'll try it again if I'm in the area.

If legal opinions are expressed in this post they are for discussion only and should not be considered legal advice. You have no idea if I know what I'm talking about.

tmwes

My day job is less than 10 miles from BDL, and I live in New London county. On days I'm going to drive after work, I usually start up there. I'm fairly certiain that with regards to airport pickups, proximity is NOT the only factor.

When I first started late last summer, I would go up there and sit for a long time with nothing. Sitting at cell lot, cruising past arrivals, sitting at Bobby V's. As I drove longer (and my ratings went up...only 148 lifetime trips since last August, but a rating of 4.9 and I have an acceptance rate of about 99.9%), I found that on occasion I would get a ping when I KNOW I wasn't the closest...once got one by the Burger King on 75, once just driving on my way in to Light Lane) Rating and acceptance rate must be additional factors, because every time I drove in for the pickup, I could see the line by arrivals and also the cars waiting at Bobby V's..and I know I was farthest.

Now on nights I drive from work, I head up there and within 15 minutes I've gotten a ping...either from BDL, or a nearby hotel, or one of the businesses in the Day Hill Rd/Marshall Phelps area. Last night I sat at the lot for 5 minutes and ended up getting a ping for someone to go from Windsor to Buckland Mall.

Only once have I gotten a ping up there that took me from a hotel on 75 to a Sushi place 1 mile away. That was annoying.

WaterburyDave

We might have been in the cell lot at the same time. My acceptance rate is lower (one week because the partner app jammed and wouldn't let me sign off and kept sending the same two ride requests again and again) but my rating is 4.85.

If I worked near the airport I'd make it a regular place. Driving there takes about 30 miles from work, 50 from home- that's a long way to go to compete with 16 other cars in a square mile.

Of course, if I regularly drove the airport, and I knew that being closer to arrivals got more pings, I might tell people I get pings all the time in the cell lot, too. You're a Boston Fan so I figure you're telling the truth, but I think there is a lot of deliberate misinformation on this board, and some bored people that just love to troll and start flame wars.

tmwes

Oh, I agree re: misinformation. Tonight I went up there and sat for 20 minutes, Nada. Cruised through arrivals twice, too.

Zoots Alures

It's been my observation that the UBER algorithm seeks out (Besides being an X Driver) Driver Rating, Proximity to Pax, and "Live" time. Then, the program makes the call-out based on the executable rules of engagement. I live between the two runways but in Windsor (Thankfully, not in any waypoint with approach and departure lanes) about two miles away. On the days that I was going to drive I'd just go live and have my morning coffee and be busy until I got pinged. At that time it was usually less than 15 minutes.* Interestingly enough, I always launched the Rider App. to troll where all of the other Live "X" Drivers were.

* In the spirit of full disclosure, I stopped driving just before they launched their Rate decrease last August '15. Though I drive a Passat TDI which every passenger loved, I couldn't justify the wear and tear on the vehicle directly proportioned to the net income**

** I also included 100% of dead miles driving back to the home area without a fare. That was part of my business model and the IRS approved my submissions at $0.55 per mile.

Alman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Picked up a pax in Hartford and brought him to rockyhill..just before drop off got a request from rocky hill to airport. after drop off at airport figured i would hangout to see i can get pax going out,. 1 circle around and got a hit from sheraton to Hartford. made money all the way around and wasted no time. great night

JaniceCT

Picked up a pax in Hartford and brought him to rockyhill..just before drop off got a request from rocky hill to airport. after drop off at airport figured i would hangout to see i can get pax going out,. 1 circle around and got a hit from sheraton to Hartford. made money all the way around and wasted no time. great night
was that today? thats the way you want it to work. imagine how much money you'd make if it was nonstop like that for 8 hours. i would love to spend all day going back and forth from hartford to airport if i could

Atom guy

I had a nice run yesterday - Manchester to the airport, got a pickup at the airport and took them to the New Haven train station, and got a ride back from New Haven to Wallingford - all in less than 3 hours. I used that return home feature in New Haven to get that ride to Wallingford. It took about 15 minutes for Uber to match me with someone using that.

JaniceCT

as nice as airport runs are they aren't better than surges/ this area needs more surges. i made a killing during a recent high surge.

Alman

was that today? thats the way you want it to work. imagine how much money you'd make if it was nonstop like that for 8 hours. i would love to spend all day going back and forth from hartford to airport if i could
Ya it was Sunday..very rare..back to back all day...also dropped that pax from airport to hartford and my next ping was 2 doors down...I sh&t you notvwas great night.. $14 in tips was the sprinkle on top

Alman

I had a nice run yesterday - Manchester to the airport, got a pickup at the airport and took them to the New Haven train station, and got a ride back from New Haven to Wallingford - all in less than 3 hours. I used that return home feature in New Haven to get that ride to Wallingford. It took about 15 minutes for Uber to match me with someone using that.
That beatsbeats my day . airport to new haven..ching ching..

Alman

I see people posting they wait at the cell phone lot at the airport. Where is that and are you allowed to wait there for a request. Because I don't want drive in circles thru the arrival

Atom guy

I see people posting they wait at the cell phone lot at the airport. Where is that and are you allowed to wait there for a request. Because I don't want drive in circles thru the arrival
The cellphone lot is like a mile past the airport, past the car rental places on the left. It is way out of the way considering how many drivers just park in arrivals regardless of the signs.

wookie

For non uber people its called the cell phone lot. for uber drivers its called the fools lot.
Really? BDL has asked UBER drivers to wait there... i havr gotten good rides from there by following the rules. If the real fools keep snubbing the rules... BDL will be off limits to UBER like Newark Airport is.

borrowedtune

Really? BDL has asked UBER drivers to wait there... i havr gotten good rides from there by following the rules. If the real fools keep snubbing the rules... BDL will be off limits to UBER like Newark Airport is.
This is true. But it doesn't make Janice's comment any less true.

tmwes

Looks like they were cracking down last night around 5:30...the area where there is usually a line of Uber drivers had 1, and he was getting a ticket from police. I actually had a pickup, pulled over to wait for him, and I was there 20 seconds before security told me I had to do another loop (thankfully my pax showed up 10 seconds later).

I'm all for them enforcing the rules; makes it fair for everybody in my opinion.

Slightly related note; that was a nice trip...pax had a flight to Newark that was cancelled, so he was hustling to New Haven to catch a Metro North. From there got a nice little ride in Guilford, then Old Saybrook to Niantic, then Niantic to New London at which point I turned off the app and went home. $32 an hour for 3 hours (including $10 in unsolicited tips), probably one of my best non-surge times driving. That last dropoff was 8:45 in New London so I'm sure I could have kept it going.