Uber Drivers Forum banner

Airport Pick Up/Drop Off Guide

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  MikesUber 
#1 · (Edited)
*This is meant for reference only and may not be comprehensive, please ensure you are following all signage/traffic laws. If you notice any discrepancies please let me know*

I met some great Uber drivers last night at the airport, it was my first time going through a pick up. Even though I left before getting a ping, I took some practice runs around the airport and learned a lot. Shoutouts to TY (driving since February) and RYAN (driving since June) for offering so much valuable info!

How to make a drop off:

Upon entering premises, follow signage for "departing flights" (green signage), speed limit 15mph in terminal zone

Pick Up Procedures:

- Once you enter the airport premises you are automatically added to the queue for pick ups. You must be in the Cell Phone Lot to receive a pick up request however (See: Park.png). Use Sunoco as a landmark as this is within the Cell Phone Lot.

If you leave the lot you will keep your position in the queue but cannot receive a request until you are back in the lot. Be careful taking your phone into Sunoco as there are dead spots which will log you off the app effectively resetting your place within the queue. When you get a request, that is your one chance at a ride (the request may come from outside the airport as well). If you choose to reject this request for any reason you will be dropped to the bottom of the queue.

Should you accept a request and the rider cancels, your position in the queue is not affected, simply head back to the Cell Phone lot for another request. If two passengers happen to cancel in transit (unlikely) you will be placed at the bottom of the queue.

*The app has been known to freeze or crash, this will reset your position within the cue

How to get to the Cell Phone Lot:

From a drop off:

Exit drop off terminal and continue on Airport Blvd and follow signage on left for "Cell Phone Lot" (small sign with airplane emblem). Obtain parking ticket and enter lot. This is a very large lot, simply head towards Sunoco and you will see signage for Cell Phone Lot.

How to make a pick-up:

Once you receive a request exit Cell Phone lot by following Exit signs (See: Exit Lot.png). When exiting use the Credit Card kiosk as your 1st hour of waiting is free (enter the ticket and the gate will lift). If you wait for longer than one hour write your name and "Uber" on the ticket and give it to the attendant in the Cash kiosk and state you're with Uber, they should not charge you but keep cash just in case. State you should not be charged if they try to charge you.

Once you are back on Airport Blvd use "Continue to Terminal" exit on the left. This will circle you around to the main entrance. From there follow "Commercial Curb" signage. The road will fork, bear right as left is extended/short term parking. If you happen to go left in error get a ticket and continue to the parking lot exit, you should not be charged. *Never travel in the wrong direction*

Continue to follow Commercial Curb/Employee Parking signage, follow signage for Commercial Curb (See: Commercial Curb.png). You will see signs/lights indicating authorized vehicles only, you are fine to enter here.

Your pick up is at Baggage Claim Door 4 - Purple Curb. Pull all the way up on the purple curb line regardless of where passenger is waiting. This will allow other Uber/Lyft cars to easily pull behind you. Stay off of Yellow (Taxi) and Blue (Limo) curbs. An attendant may inform you you only have 5 minutes to wait, this is true but if pushed out after 5 minutes you can simply circle back around. Most all passengers are waiting already though. You must display Uber trade dress (Uber "U") at all times. Speeding or illegal procedures within the airport will result in heavy fines (around $300) and airport deactivation for 15 days.

Things to remember:

-Speed limit is 15mph in drop off/pick up zone

-Speed limit is 35mph on Airport Blvd away from terminal

-Officers are stationed in pick up/drop off areas

-Passengers should know what to expect when requesting an UberX at the airport for pick ups. Excessive luggage may not fit so they should plan accordingly if they need an UberXL.

-http://www.flypittsburgh.com/dropping_off_picking_up_passengers

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: lyft_audi
#4 ·
Glad to help! Also check flypittsburgh.com to look up arrival times (doesn't make sense to wait if there are no flights coming in!). Also trade-dress (Uber "U") must be displayed at all times. You should always have it on your windshield anyway when driving.

#5 · (Edited)
New Pittsburgh Airport Learning Course from Lyft:

https://lyft.schoolkeep.com/outline/uc1dp1wr/cover

"If your passenger is delayed, give them a call. If she needs extra time, head to the 'Cell Phone Lot' to wait. If the lot is full, you'll need to leave airport property."

- Don't go back to the Cell Phone Lot, you get a full 5 minutes at the Uber/Lyft Purple Curb when making a pick up, if an official asks you to leave since you're past 5 minutes simply circle back around and park again. Always be courteous with any airport staff, police or PUC officials.

"Airport authorities may approach you for proof that you're a Lyft driver and approved to use the loading zone. They may ask to see the app to confirm your driver ID, or the current ride information. Be courteous and cooperative if you're approached.

Remember, when you're at the airport, you must be in driver mode at all times."

We are lucky to make pick-ups and drop offs at PIT, always follow protocol and always have your Uber and/or Lyft trade-dress displayed.

#7 ·
Did my first airport run today, I read this guide while waiting for my ping

Thanks for the accurate info!
Glad to help! Haven't done one in awhile myself as pick ups in Oakland, Shadyside etc start around 3:30AM (usually when I'm headed back home now) but I used to do a few every week. Keep in mind outbound Fort Pitt tunnels are closed today Tuesday May, 17th and Wednesday May, 18th. Inbound (Eastbound) are closed this Thursday and Friday.

#9 ·
How long usually does it take for picking up?
I took many riders to airport from downtown but never pick a rider up from airport.
Wait times depend on number of flights arriving and number of drivers waiting for pick-ups. I haven't done a pick-up at PIT but I would recommend checking flypittsburgh.com to check arrival times, no sense waiting if there are no flights coming in! Remember you're automatically added to the pick-up queue upon entry to the property (remain online at all times). Park in the Cell Phone Lot for your request. Trade dress must be displayed at all times.

#12 ·
The pick ups I've done originated around Downtown, Oakland or Shadyside starting around 3:30AM, I've just come back after these as there are no flights coming in at those times.

Btw lyft_audi I saw a newish looking red Audi on Uber this weekend. Smh guys lol had a smile

#14 ·
Pax fuggin' love it, man...

They all go "This is the nicest, cleanest, best smelling uber (or lyft) car I have EVER had!"

I dunno... I love it myself.
I'm sure it's a sick car, other guy's was a sharp red one. But for a luxury car the depreciation and high cost of maintenance just isn't worth it on UberX. I'd do it on Select for at least double the X rates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.