Airport Hotel Pickups in Ant Farm Queue?

During my last two airport pickups, as my number came up, I got a request which I accepted, then panicked when I saw it was not st the TNC pickup zone but for a local hotel. I cancelled, confused, and not wanting to risk it being some lazy pax wanting a 1 minute lift to the airport. Fortunately, I was still in pole position, and a legit ping followed. Any explanation?

Also, once as I was at the light to leave the farm, my rider cancelled on me. I got another ping, and they cancelled before my third ping came (which took me to the plateau!). What if I were out of the geo fenced area, en route to pick up and the rider cancels? Am I screwed? Curious.

Apologies if this has been covered - search didn't return any relevant hits.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I have a Prius C2, which is fully capable of picking up at the airport. I've done it 4 times in the year I've been driving. Why? Cuz in the time it takes for you to wait your turn in the slot machine of pick ups at the airport, I'm in the areas of the city that are surging, boosting, or just plain cruising the neighborhoods in far away town, picking up pax and taking them on 45+ minute rides to Seattle. Last night I got a 2.2 surge from downtown Seattle to Lynnwood, plus a $25.00 cash tip thrown in. Earlier in the night I had a 1.8 surge from Seattle to SeaTac, right across the street from the airport. Then immediately I got a request from the DoubleTree to the Space Needle. I did a pagent wave to the Airport Ants, but they didn't see me. They were busy in a sewing circle making a quilt. :biggrin:

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
No problem. Like your questions sort of asked though, picking up at the airport if basically a slot machine. Those Ants sit there all day because they are hooked, like a gambling addict. Maybe once of twice they got a grand daddy pay off ride from the airport to maybe Everett, Chehalis, or maybe even over the pass. So now they spend all their days hanging out at the airport getting little rides to local hotels of maybe Seattle, but instead of staying in Seattle, and making money there, they shut off their apps, and race back to the airport, hoping for that grand payout. Which is why we all laugh at them.

Do you know of our GM Brooke Steger?

https://www.crunchbase.com/person/brooke-steger#/entity

Well, at our last Uber Meeting over the Union thing, she said right there to all of us, "The drivers at the airport do not make as much as the city driver." She/ Uber reads these boards so hit her up on Twitter and ask her oppinion if you like. Good luck.:smiles:

Dammit Mazzacane

Oh gosh....

Ok, so on queues, I have a gripe:
Lyft seems to want to tell everybody that the Pier 91 cruise ship dock queue is low or empty with drivers, and I always thought that was dumb because how often do cruises return to port during bar rush hours? Am I naive?

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I remember when I first started, whenever I picked up a pax anywhere in the region, and took them to the airport, the app would automatically say I was now "In the Queue" when I was dropping them off in departures. Well, my habit was/is always, shut off my app soon as the pax's trip completes, and then getting at least 2 miles from the airport and/ or deadheading back to Seattle (if it's hot) or at least Tukwila before going back online. I didn't want to be in the queue, so I therefore removed myself from it. Uber's algorithm picked up on my pattern, so they no longer automatically add me to the queue unless I specifically drive over to the TNC lot, and stay longer than 5 minutes.

So based on my experience, I'd say the Geo fence includes the airport, and the normal traveled path one takes to it from the TNC lot.

BTW you do know we are getting a new TNC lot in a different area this fall so that whole Geo fence may change. I posted about the new lot a few weeks back on a thread called "A New lot for Airport Ants."

awtprod

Ugh. I just got burned. I was lured into the temptation of a round trip and ignored what I thought was a local pickup. If you ignore ANY ping (Lyft), does that throw you off the queue? Because that's what happened to me. I got a ping for an address on 160th st or somewhere and, after I ignored it, it still told me to head to the terminal but as soon as I was at the light, I was off the queue.

Lesson learned. Never doing that again.

My apologies to all. I overreacted. I know no one posts anything with malicious intentions. My own stress converted to anger extremely misdirected at 123 and Dex. Sorry! :oopsies:

I deleted all my nasty replies.